¿How you can define in words the rectifier sound?

• Thread starter metalguy2013
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
Fizzy, harsh, high end with boomy, low end...

... yet somehow sounds freaking awesome in a mix.

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
Not sure why you need to define the sound in words since it's on a good proportion of the metal that has come out in the last 20+ years (or however long they've been around).

"Complicated to dial in with killer sweet spots."

7stringDemon

Reaction score
I'm torn between loose and flubby.

I dunno. They never felt right for me. None that I played ever had quite the right amount of gain for me (I'm a 5150 kind of guy), they were all loose and boomy and could never get harsh enough.

With the exception of my friends 3 channel, multiwatt Triple Rec. And one single rec. but the mass amounts of other Singles, Duals, Triples and Mini's just never did it for me. Though I've never played a Roadster or Roadking.

I also didn't like the Mark V at all. Guess I'm just not a Mesa guy.

EDIT: It's worth noting that with a boost set right, I was in tone heaven on all of the rectifiers I ever touched :lol:

Stijnson

Reaction score
I like the question, I always find it interesting to describe the sound in words. But they tend to be randomly invented words mostly. For the dual rec I would say boomy and thumping in a good way, with a dirtier high end.

I've been wondering myself how to describe the difference in sound between these 2 amps, (mesa boogie dual rec and ENGL savage) in Ola's video. I love the sound of the ENGL, it adds some frequency in comparison to the dual rec, but I can never pinpoint exactly which frequency this is, that kind of hollow metallic sound kind of that lives 'around' the distortion if you will. It's also much smoother sounding than the Recto, Love it! Any one know what kind of frequency would need to be boosted to achieve that? I've been boosting the 1,4khz area, but it's not really doing the trick...

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
thick, full, bouncy, sizzle, crisp :lol:

highs are crisp and tight in modern, or in vintage when the treble is mid-high and the presence is way up
lows are subby, but the bass knob does go both ways :lol:

Most complete tone on it's own IMO, but it doesn't hurt to run a Marshall/Stiletto at the same time for added sharpness.
Mesa/Marshall together is godly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yhh_tkoZZk

Latest posts