≈$1k Metal Gig Setup

• Thread starter TheBolivianSniper
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheBolivianSniper

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So I've been digital and playing and recording with plugins, but my band actually managed to snag shows locally and I need a small venue setup that can hang with a downtuned 7 in a 5 piece band.

I have about $1k for an amp, cab, and I don't need effects, unless I'd be boosting the amp. Doesn't have to be insanely loud or perfectly smooth and modern since I'll still be recording with plugins. I don't know if I'd have the budget for a good cab if I'd go for a 5153 or 6505+, but I'd love either of those if there's an affordable 2x12 option I could find somewhere. I was also considering a PRS MT15 but I've heard those don't cut well in a big mix.

Pretty much, I'm playing solos and low chuggy parts, and I have to fight a low tuned bassist, busy drum part, and another guitarist, and I don't have a shit ton of money. I don't need anything crazy or perfect for recording, just a good setup that'll hold up to a band and a 7 string.

Thanks yall!

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
Prices have been dropping so a 6505+ or 5153 might not be out of the question while still leaving a couple hundred for a half decent cab. A used SD-1 is probably around $40-50 if you feel the need to boost. It's definitely cutting it close and may go over by 100ish but definitely a solid option.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheBolivianSniper

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input so far, I've been looking around for 5150/6505/DSL100 listings and I found a few at the 800 mark. Def gonna be looking into an SD1 for it as well just in case it doesn't quite like a low F# string.

What would be a good decent cab that would let the amp shine?

also I'd definitely take a modeler if it's an easy all in one solution that would let me get a good live sound

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
For a small venue setup and for less than 1000$, I'd check the EVH 5150 iconic combo, can get pretty loud if needed and you may chug even in the green channel lol

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
If you're okay with the weight, you can also find the 2x12 5150/6505 combo amps for around $500-750 depending on condition. I had one years ago and it slayed :metal: I never got to gig with mine, but I've seen a handful of bands use them live and they all cut through the mix just fine, even without being mic'd up in some cases.

Add a tuner, boost, gate, and delay of your choice and you'll have all your bases covered within $1k :yesway:

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
Donner Soph Gate, Boss SD-1, Peavey 6505+ or Triple XXX, and watch guitar center’s used section for cabs (verify the speakers were checked before ordering). Peavey 412MS, Crate BV412S, Yamaha S412V, Line 6 spider valve 4x12, are all great cheap well built cabs that typically come with good speakers and are plenty loud.

There are more budget friendly heads, but how they hold up to stage volume as far as headroom and tonality will vary. You could also explore the option of something like a tight metal pro and a power amp like the Seymour Duncan Power Stage.

Last edited:

jonsick

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input so far, I've been looking around for 5150/6505/DSL100 listings and I found a few at the 800 mark. Def gonna be looking into an SD1 for it as well just in case it doesn't quite like a low F# string.

What would be a good decent cab that would let the amp shine?

also I'd definitely take a modeler if it's an easy all in one solution that would let me get a good live sound

I would stick with one of those amplifier heads.

A used Marshall 1936 is a great investment. Even though it's a 2x12, you'll always need it. I've had mine since 1997 or so and it's been hard at work ever since I've owned it. It's great if space is an issue or you need something to play in a smaller space. And any head will work on it just fine. Sounds great too. I swapped some V30s into mine some years ago. Still sounds great.

That will do you until you save up for a good 4x12 cabinet. Ideally something with Mesa, Engl or Diezel written on the front of it.

I would avoid the Harley Benton cabinets. I really have no idea how they have gained such high regard. I don't know what the hell those speakers are, but to me they are not V30s. Or the cab is just so bad, not even a V30 saves it. They just sound farty to me, absolutely no tightness on the low end and the high end just blares out. Even compared to one of those old Line 6 4x12s, the L6 sounded better. But hey, HB fans will cut a throat if you say it. Dare you offend the holy word of the Hardly Benton, Lord Jesus Fricker, their erstwhile representative here on Earth.

BillK

Reaction score
I would avoid the Harley Benton cabinets. I really have no idea how they have gained such high regard. I don't know what the hell those speakers are, but to me they are not V30s. Or the cab is just so bad, not even a V30 saves it. They just sound farty to me, absolutely no tightness on the low end and the high end just blares out. Even compared to one of those old Line 6 4x12s, the L6 sounded better. But hey, HB fans will cut a throat if you say it. Dare you offend the holy word of the Hardly Benton, Lord Jesus Fricker, their erstwhile representative here on Earth.
1) Not everyone has the budget for Marshall, ENGL, Mesa etc. cabs
2) They are the most affordable CELESTION VINTAGE 30s loaded cabs out there
3) once again O-R-I-G-I-N-A-L CELESTION VINTAGE 30. Made in China AS MOST OF THE REST CELESTION speakers, since 2002.

Blindfolded and with just a little EQ fiddling on the amp, I bet my ass, you cannot tell the difference between an HB 2x12 and a marshall one.

cindarkness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
But hey, HB fans will cut a throat if you say it. Dare you offend the holy word of the Hardly Benton, Lord Jesus Fricker, their erstwhile representative here on Earth.
What's with the random rant towards the fans of HB? Totally uncalled-for remarks.

Roadsterjosh

Reaction score
You can find EVH 2x12s locally in my area for +/-$300, I was able to grab mine for 250 basically new. You can find deals on 6505+ from 400 to 700 is the range I'm seeing them lately. There is even a listing from my local Music Go Round for a XXX head and cab for $750, it's local pick up only I would link the listing for you.
A few pedals to help tighten up and add some texture if that's your thing and you have a rig that can handle all sized gigs.

Valveaddicted

Reaction score
So I've been digital and playing and recording with plugins, but my band actually managed to snag shows locally and I need a small venue setup that can hang with a downtuned 7 in a 5 piece band.

I have about $1k for an amp, cab, and I don't need effects, unless I'd be boosting the amp. Doesn't have to be insanely loud or perfectly smooth and modern since I'll still be recording with plugins. I don't know if I'd have the budget for a good cab if I'd go for a 5153 or 6505+, but I'd love either of those if there's an affordable 2x12 option I could find somewhere. I was also considering a PRS MT15 but I've heard those don't cut well in a big mix.

Pretty much, I'm playing solos and low chuggy parts, and I have to fight a low tuned bassist, busy drum part, and another guitarist, and I don't have a shit ton of money. I don't need anything crazy or perfect for recording, just a good setup that'll hold up to a band and a 7 string.

Thanks yall!
On that kind of budget, i would go for a Peavey 6505+ 120w head (i prefer it over the regular 6505 because of the 2 channels with independent EQs, it comes very handy if you want a decent clean and a crushing high gain distortion withou compromising either), you get a lot of amp for the money and they are very reliable.
About cabinets... if you're on a budget... yea, i don't think you can't beat a Harley Benton with v30's.
They have decent construction, sound good and are the best money/sound cabinets you can find.
If you can buy/carry a 412, go for it. If you can only buy/carry a 212, it will do the job just fine.
I reherse with an Engl Fireball and a Harley Benton 212 with my band, and i don't have any issue with tone or volume.

I also have an MT15, and i like that amp a lot, but a 120w head might be a better bet if your band is loud.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just be careful with the used tube amps, they might need replacement of their power amp tubes (the preamp ones last much longer... ) ->extra cost...

Valveaddicted

Reaction score
I would stick with one of those amplifier heads.

A used Marshall 1936 is a great investment. Even though it's a 2x12, you'll always need it. I've had mine since 1997 or so and it's been hard at work ever since I've owned it. It's great if space is an issue or you need something to play in a smaller space. And any head will work on it just fine. Sounds great too. I swapped some V30s into mine some years ago. Still sounds great.

That will do you until you save up for a good 4x12 cabinet. Ideally something with Mesa, Engl or Diezel written on the front of it.

Well, let me disagree with you.
I've had two harley benton cabs, a 412 in the past, and now i have a 212, both with v30's.
I've opened up both cabs, and i can assure you, the speakers in there are v30's. Also, the construction (not being anything special) it's quite decent, actually very good for the price.
Beware that not all HB cabs have v30's in them, there's a "generic speaker" version that's a lot cheaper, maybe you tried or heared that one.
I actually use it in my bands rehersal, and the cab does it's job very, very well.
Sounds good, it has a balanced sound, full (enough) low end and decent highs and midds.
Can you compare them with a premium cab? No.
Do they sound the same? No, but it gets more than half the way in sound and tone (if you get what i mean).
At a fraction of the price of other cabs, they can get a good sound.
And don't take me wrong... but Marshall's aren't the best exemples of quality cabs... just my opinion.

And before you tell me to try a good cab instead of a Harley Benton... i have a Mesa Boogie 412 Standard (Oversized), a Blackstar Series One 412 (their top of the line with v30's, it's oversized, as big as my Mesa Boogie, great cab) and an Engl E212VH Pro, all at home.
So i have good cabs to compare them.
Yes they're good, specially for the money.

creepymcpeepers

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
6505+ combo, spend the rest on horizon drive and a new speaker. You'll be heard and cut through and also just chug city, man. I'm sure you've been there, it's a good place.
Doesn’t he have to find the horizon drive used? Isn’t that the one that is sold out on the website?