10 Speaker Shootout, Down Tuned Metal - Fair Warning: It's a Youtube video but it's just speaker noises.

• Thread starter DoctorStoner
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DoctorStoner

θάλλ
Reaction score
My limited bumbling about the speakers is in the description.

Speaker list:
Vintage 30 8 Ohm
Governor 16 Ohm
CV-75 16 Ohm
Electric Lightning 16 Ohm
Swamp Thang 16 Ohm
G12T-75 16 Ohm
Electro Harmonix 12VR 16 Ohm
ValveKing 16 Ohm
Seventy 80 16 Ohm
Classic Lead 80 16 Ohm

There was a time (it was 2021) when I had a bunch of speakers in boxes (the boxes they shipped in) in my closet of the studio (back bedroom). I got ambitious one day and ran them all through the same set-up. I didn't even move the mic. Just popped the back of the cab off and swapped speakers one after another. I didn't have Resolve yet and absolutely loathed Lightworks (Resolve rocks BTW). So I just didn't want to make the vid and completely forgot about it.

Browsing here @Boy_Narf reminded me of that project. So I fired up Resolve and finished it up in like an hour.

Anyway TL;DR

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
My limited bumbling about the speakers is in the description.

Speaker list:
Vintage 30 8 Ohm
Governor 16 Ohm
CV-75 16 Ohm
Electric Lightning 16 Ohm
Swamp Thang 16 Ohm
G12T-75 16 Ohm
Electro Harmonix 12VR 16 Ohm
ValveKing 16 Ohm
Seventy 80 16 Ohm
Classic Lead 80 16 Ohm

There was a time (it was 2021) when I had a bunch of speakers in boxes (the boxes they shipped in) in my closet of the studio (back bedroom). I got ambitious one day and ran them all through the same set-up. I didn't even move the mic. Just popped the back of the cab off and swapped speakers one after another. I didn't have Resolve yet and absolutely loathed Lightworks (Resolve rocks BTW). So I just didn't want to make the vid and completely forgot about it.

Browsing here @Boy_Narf reminded me of that project. So I fired up Resolve and finished it up in like an hour.

Anyway TL;DR

I just downloaded resolve the other day. Haven't opened it yet because I haven't put together any new video. Glad to see it was a good choice.

I'll check out the video tomorrow. I'm not much interested Celestion stuff. Never have been. But the other speakers though, I'd like to hear.

DoctorStoner

θάλλ
Reaction score

AngstRiddenDreams

Filthy Casual
Reaction score
Dude super cool, it always makes me stoked when people throw these together! Some surprises for me. Definitely loved the Jensen and that Peavy was also super awesome.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
The Celestions all sounded muddier on the single note passages, but huge on the more open sections. They definitely have a certain sound to them that is interesting to hear here. I was expecting the V30 to be brighter than it was. The CV75 was probably my favorite though I have a feeling I wouldn't like it much in the room and it's hard to tell how it'd sound in a mix. It sounded very clear here but I could see it sounding pretty boxy with other instruments - the same with basically every other speaker here that isn't a Celestion, save the 70/80, which had a similar sound to it. The EHX speaker was the big surprise here. I thought about buying some a while back to check out but there's literally no info online about them. It sounded like it's a less efficient speaker than the rest but for $50, it's perfectly serviceable.

Marked Man

Reaction score
I've always loved Classic Lead 80s and have them in one of my Mark cabs. Mesa Black Shadow 90s in the other.

The secret of course is having EVM12Ls in the bottom (sealed) and Lead 80s on top (open). :wavey:

I've never understood the appeal of V30s.....

Latest posts