13-string bass (the right way)

• Thread starter DaddleCecapitation
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DaddleCecapitation

Manatees Last Breath
Reaction score
Hey, I typed in 13 string bass into google to try and find that bass that the british twat built and I stumbled upon these on photobucket...

13&

l_4f99e39d3c209c1eda2ddc7b3dcc78d0.jpg

slicesoundhole.jpg

Didn't get his name unfortunately.

Do you really think he'll pull it off?

Last edited:

Breakdown

Reaction score
that neck looks MASSIVE. how do people play these 11 string monster basses and guitars
lol
heres a 15 string one
o_O

15bass.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
British twat? I sense an underlying hatred for us limeys there lol

I think its great when people build ridiculous instruments. Sure, they can be kinda silly in some respects, and I would never even consider gettinbg something liek that, but its interesting to see.

And that 12 string bass is sex and proves my point.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
The biggest bass I've ever played was this kid Andrew's, which was a 7 string Conklin Groove Tool Custom.
l_52d8c16075d64141aa10c320757d8462.jpg

It's a beast.

DaddleCecapitation

Manatees Last Breath
Reaction score
British twat? I sense an underlying hatred for us limeys there lol

I think its great when people build ridiculous instruments. Sure, they can be kinda silly in some respects, and I would never even consider gettinbg something liek that, but its interesting to see.

And that 12 string bass is sex and proves my point.

I meant the british twat on youtube who built that 13 string, 28" scale plywood piece of crap.

I just happened to stumble upon these by accident.

phaeded0ut

droooooneeeeeeeee!
Reaction score
While not exactly a bass: JCB-34 this was something that I had tried out (still own one, but don't actively play it). Another similar 14-string instrument is Mark Warr's Phalanx series of Warr Guitar Warr Guitars: Warr Guitars, Inc. and a 10-string Chapman Stick. Found that the tapping thing wasn't really for me in the end.

I'll be looking to get a 12-string bass (dual-string course 6-stringer) in the fairly near future, myself. As I posted in a previous thread: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/bass-guitar-discussion/75365-12-string-dual-course-basses.html

phaeded0ut

droooooneeeeeeeee!
Reaction score
On the thought of a super-wide neck, the nastiest finger spreader I've played upon was one of the older Fodera 6-string basses that they made for James Genus. It felt like the string spacing was wider than what you'd get on a 4-string bass.
Those different 11+ string beasties are a bit much for me, but I am glad to see that folks out there are actively using them.

Love the different design choices in it, too... Sinking the bridge and string stop into the face of the instrument is a very wise touch that lots of folks miss. Really dig the use of the BC-13 connector and how that area is contoured back into the rest of the body. Very tasty!

I do love the woodwork/inlaywork involved with the Jerzy Drozd "Yves Carbonne 12-string left-handed bass guitar," ... but I can with all honesty say, I'd not be able to play that instrument worth a damn (even if he made a right-handed version).

Xk6m6m5X

Reaction score
that jean baudin guy is sicks dude...double handned tapping the super mario bros theme and zelda:hbang:

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
i have a 7 string bass on the way to my home right now :D

and yeah, the british guy that made the crummy bass thingy was realy quite the twat... he made a useless piece of plywood sculpture made to imitate a real instrument, and i think he was going to sell it as a real working instrument...

7string

Reaction score
That 13 string whatever thing can't be taken seriously at all!!

The Conklin GT7's are a great way to get into ERB's (Extended Range Basses). I bought one from the USA thru eBay and it's a great instrument. There's quite a few of them available as well.

Back on topic, I went to 9 strings and that's where I'm going to stop! As much range as I need. There's a thread on here, but here's the instrument anyway:

This was made in Britain, but definately not by a twat!!!!!!!

ACG9front.jpg

ACG9back.jpg

tmcarr

Reaction score
There are videos of Yves Carbonne playing his 11/12/13 strings on Youtube. He is truly amazing. It CAN be taken seriously, its just not conventional.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
i´m going to use my 7 string bass as a 7 string guitar tuned down an octave, so i can double guitar parts on my 7 an octave down :D

also, it has enough strings so i can play along with ordinary 6 string guitars, ordinary 7 string guitars (or, in my band, baritones tuned to B), and then 8 string guitars (or my baritone 7 tuned to f#/drop E).

and then i still have more range, because i have that high C as well (though i´m going to tune it like a guitar, so it´ll be a high B :p