2 bass questions

• Thread starter AwakenTheSkies
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
So on a 5 string TRBX 505 bass, if I want to tune to Drop C/ Drop C#, 34 inch scale? Do I make it so the lower string is a C or an A?
Considering I will only use common store brand strings. I won't order any ultra thick string from another country just for this.
Is there any common brand set that's thick enough for A in 34"?
Or better to just settle for C lowest string, and if so, what gauge set.

Now I'm using Daddario ProSteels 5 string set, the pink one, can't remember the gauges.

Second question, I have a Harley Benton JB-75 bass that's rotting away. The reason is that it was noisy as hell. Do you think it's worth it to upgrade pickups, nut and bridge on a bass like this? Or better to just leave it rotting away? I have no complains about it's playability..

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Screamingdaisy

Reaction score
Tune D# (ie, 5th string is A#), then drop the 4th string to C#.

or...

Tune D (5th string is A), then drop the 4th string to C.

130 is fine in A. Thicker is tighter while thinner usually has better tone.

If you're going to permanently sit in drop C/C# I'd probably use a 4 string, or learn to play the songs on a standard tuned 5 string. Both options have advantages/disadvantages.

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
Yeah the bass feels good on standard tuning.
I thought maybe I could use a lighter set and tune it up to C standard with a 125 as the bottom string? Then it would match the guitar in Drop C.

It's just the B string doesn't sound as good since it's thicker and a bit more loose. So idk if it would still sound good in A.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'd try that if you don't want to go lower than C.

That said, I'd also recommend going to a 4 string for drop C.

Screamingdaisy

Reaction score
I use 45-105 in drop C#. I'd probably go 110 in C, however I don't know if anyone makes a 5 string set that light. You could probably look at a 120 or 125 gauge 5 string set, or buying a 6 string set and throwing away the bottom string (kind of a waste). It's a trade off of tension vs tone, and IMO thicker strings don't necessarily sound better.

That said, if you're going to stick with a 5 string I'd recommend going the other way and tuning down. IMO, you'll typically get a lot more use out of having more low notes than you will out of having more high notes, and you'll have more selection when it comes to strings without going custom.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Second question, I have a Harley Benton JB-75 bass that's rotting away. The reason is that it was noisy as hell. Do you think it's worth it to upgrade pickups, nut and bridge on a bass like this? Or better to just leave it rotting away? I have no complains about it's playability..

Hey why not? You already have the bass and seem to like how it plays.

If it's noisy electronics, some cheap used Fender Noiseless pickups, $20 in pots, and a little shielding tape will fix that for a modest price.

A precut GraphTech nut is ~$15 and will need just minor tweaking.

I wouldn't worry about the bridge unless there's something actually broken. But if it really bothers you there are some pretty cheap options out there that'll seem more high end at first glance.

Projects like these easily become money pits, but if you go used where you can and focus on needs vs. wants you'll be fine.

Latest posts