[2019NGD] 3x8 All Black Everything [Strandberg/Ibby Content]

• Thread starter Pingu
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pingu

NOOT NOOT
Reaction score
I'll try to keep it short. Had money set aside for a FTM33 for a long long time. Just wasn't happening. A S7G Boden 8 popped up a few hours away and figured it had enough things I was interested in, like a Rosewood neck (though I was thinking more like a Strat or PRS for that) and IPNP neck profile for me to choose that instead over the FTM. I'd just bought a Boden J8 half a year ago, but it was different enough for me to still pick it up. Quality not bad for a S7, needed fretwork but the frets don't fall out lol, no wormholes. Way cool.

That was a Friday... The following Wednesday that fabled FTM i'd been waiting for popped up. I asked the seller about the fretwork, as these things are notorious for, to which he replies back to me with a receipt from a guitar tech on work done. Sold. Spent all night driving after work to make sure I and I alone was going to be buying it. Totes happy.

Now of course I had to complete the pair. Was actively looking for a M80M but wasn't in a rush to so my only stipulation was that the frets were either good or had the work done. One popped up here last week that fit the bill. Plus I was getting a bit antsy from having one but not the other. So it was a no brainer.

And so I tell myself I will not be buying any more 8 strings in 2019. But in 2020 all bets are off!

16T5sBk.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ThePIGI King

Jiu Jitsu Enthusiast
Reaction score
HNGD!

No comparison yet? How you prefer the scales and whatnot please.

"But tomorrow all bets are off!" - FTFY

nightlight

Reaction score
I'll try to keep it short. Had money set aside for a FTM33 for a long long time. Just wasn't happening. A S7G Boden 8 popped up a few hours away and figured it had enough things I was interested in, like a Rosewood neck (though I was thinking more like a Strat or PRS for that) and IPNP neck profile for me to choose that instead over the FTM. I'd just bought a Boden J8 half a year ago, but it was different enough for me to still pick it up. Quality not bad for a S7, needed fretwork but the frets don't fall out lol, no wormholes. Way cool.

That was a Friday... The following Wednesday that fabled FTM i'd been waiting for popped up. I asked the seller about the fretwork, as these things are notorious for, to which he replies back to me with a receipt from a guitar tech on work done. Sold. Spent all night driving after work to make sure I and I alone was going to be buying it. Totes happy.

Now of course I had to complete the pair. Was actively looking for a M80M but wasn't in a rush to so my only stipulation was that the frets were either good or had the work done. One popped up here last week that fit the bill. Plus I was getting a bit antsy from having one but not the other. So it was a no brainer.

And so I tell myself I will not be buying any more 8 strings in 2019. But in 2020 all bets are off!

16T5sBk.jpg

Cool guitars, man. The FTM would be my pick of the bunch, super cool looking guitar!

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score

16T5sBk.jpg
Loving the FTM33. <3

Pingu

NOOT NOOT
Reaction score
No comparison yet? How you prefer the scales and whatnot please.

Would have been a long write up haha.

IPNP on the Boden makes the bass side feel like it's an inch shorter than it really is. Neck is really comfy for riffing which is something I find my Endurneck 8 isn't quite suited for. The neck is also deceptively light, even for a headless. I find myself baseball bat gripping the neck quite often for leads which is something I don't do on any other 8 string. Lace pups aren't really my thing, but they are growing on me! I originally picked it up because it was interesting but more and more it's becoming my go-to 8.

Haven't spent too much time with the M80M yet but given how dead simple it is, you can tell these guys knew exactly what they wanted out of a guitar. Sits quite well in the classical position thanks to the pushed back bridge placement. The near-30" scale takes the work out of the right hand for riffing the lower strings in a lighter gauge, I foolishly put a .068 on for the low F which is quite thin compared to what I'm used to and it feels like a little too much. But all that work is put into the left hand due to the scale length (I'm also not a hulking mammoth of a Swede so there's also that...). And not sure why yet but I really like the neck profile here. I haven't quite heard this amazing difference in clarity 1.4" is supposedly getting me over my 28" scaled guitars but it does ring stronger than my other 8s. Tuning the treble strings is an anxiety attack...

The FTM is my autistic baby that I still love to death. The body is too big. The neck dive is unreal. It's uncomfortable to sit with too, not that my shoulders could bear the weight anyway. The horn is always in the way on the upper frets and probably has it's own gravitational field for how many times I painfully slam into it. The guy I bought it from was a huge Meshuggah fan and had it set up very nicely with a .074 on the low F. Surprisingly good feel, coming from someone who would use a .080 on a 28" for a F, but despite the great feel and easier playability of the 27" scale coupled with an Ash body it isn't as snappy as I'd like. But it's just such a great looking design that I can't get over. It's more like a painting than an instrument, I'm more than happy to have it on display all the time. Like I said, it had all the work done on it already. Used-all-in I'm satisfied, but if I had to pay MSRP+tax and then have to spend money or time to make it not-Indo quality playable, at least from what I've heard including from the guy I bought it from, then I'd be a little bitter over it.

Latest posts