24.75 Old school SET not SET THROUGH with floyds?

• Thread starter Nickerz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nickerz

Reaction score
So I've noticed that it's damn near impossible to find straight up set necks these days. I vastly prefer set necks because they aren't as boomy as bolt ons, but still resonate very nice. I do not like the way neck through guitars play, and I consider set through to be close to that.

From what I can tell, these set through guitars are all made in the same mega factory so there's a scary small number of straight set neck guitars.

Right now, if I don't want an older Dime or ML, it looks like there's a couple odd ball Epiphones?

Did LTD\ESP used to use set necks at any point and switch?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nickerz

Reaction score
LTD EC-401VR. Set neck, not set thru or neck thru.

Assuming VR was a type for FR... doesn't look like it =|

"SP Guitars has added to its LTD “400 Series” guitars. The LTD EC-401FR is equipped with a Floyd Rose tremolo, offers set-through construction and includes an EMG 60/81 pickup set..."

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Assuming VR was a type for FR... doesn't look like it =|

"SP Guitars has added to its LTD “400 Series” guitars. The LTD EC-401FR is equipped with a Floyd Rose tremolo, offers set-through construction and includes an EMG 60/81 pickup set..."

Meant to type FR, whoops.
I coulda swore they made set neck EC-401FRs. I'm trying to go through ESP's catalogs but there's no acknowledgement of it, even though they went really far back.

If you want better luck, find an EC-1001FR or EC-1000FR. For sure those will be set neck if you get one made before 2016.
https://web.archive.org/web/2016100...ec-1001fr-stblk?category_id=1963292-ec-series

https://web.archive.org/web/2012071...om/guitars/ltd-standard-deluxe/ec-1000fr.html

Shask

Reaction score
Well it may not be 24 3/4" but a PRS Se with floyd at 25" may work for you.
That is what I was gonna say. I wanted a 24.75" "Superstrat" for years that was not a Gibson shape. Other than some oddball models here and there through the years, most of my searches lead to PRS guitars. I have 2 CU24 SE's now, one regular trem, and one Floyd, and I love them both.

Bdtunn

Reaction score
That is what I was gonna say. I wanted a 24.75" "Superstrat" for years that was not a Gibson shape. Other than some oddball models here and there through the years, most of my searches lead to PRS guitars. I have 2 CU24 SE's now, one regular trem, and one Floyd, and I love them both.

Nickerz

Reaction score
So far looking at the Shred and Night models straight from Epi\Gibson. I don't know that I could rock a Dean without feeling like a tool.

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
Early 90s Jackson or Archtop Pros or Charvel 750xls? They're not cheap, but from what I understand they're pretty much Les Pauls in super strat form.

SnoozyWyrm

Reaction score
Yamaha RGX 1212s (and 612s) is also a choice (neck-through though).
Peavey Vandenberg is also 24,75 inch scale length albeit bolt-on.

You could also find certain Bich-es and Mockingbirds that might meet the requirements.

tedtan

Reaction score
Older Carvin guitars (prior to ~1988) are set neck rather than neck through, and will be either 24.75" or 25" scale length depending on model and year. Most had Kahler trems, but if you look long and hard enough, you'll turn one up with a Floyd. Or you could go for a hard tail and add a Floyd.

Other options, though harder to find, will be Hamer Californian (some are bolt on, some are set neck, though I'm not positive on the scale length), Robin Medley (they've made both 24.75" and 25.5" scale guitars, so be sure to check), and Valley Arts (most are bolt ons, but they've made some with set necks as well).

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Older Carvin guitars (prior to ~1988) are set neck rather than neck through, and will be either 24.75" or 25" scale length depending on model and year.

And don't be fooled by a smooth neck heel. Their set-necks were very sculpted, like a neck-through.
davefarmer-v220-2.jpg

bblair-v220-2.jpg