24 fret singlecut guitars

• Thread starter wheresthefbomb
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
My Epiphone is doing fine but I miss that 24th fret, I'm surprising myself how often I wish it were there. I will be ordering a new guitar sometime this year, trying to scope my options.

What is out there that is:
-Single-cut with LP controls
-24 frets
-Ebony or Richlite board (I'd compromise here for the right guitar with everything else)
-Set neck
-Under $1000

Bonus points if it comes with a Bigsby.

I've been pricing out a custom build through Carvin/Kiesel but feel like I might be able to get what I'm after a lot more cheaply. I saw a used SC3 on GC's website last week that had all the above specs but had that skinny 3x3 carvin headstock which I can't stand. Oh well.

I'm also willing to consider 7s to get that extra high end range (I tune to B) but no pointy headstocks or FR style whammy bars allowed. I actually rather like the look of the JPMM sterling, but would want it in a hard tail with a 4 knob setup.

I don't tend to like the PRS "worship band" aesthetic but I pride myself on my willingness to be proven wrong.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Doesn't have the exact LP controls, but what about a used EC-1000? Since getting mine earlier this year, as a workhorse guitar, IMO, you can't get much better for the cost.

24 fret single-cut, ebony fretboard with set neck and definitely under $1K - you'd just be missing the individual neck tone control as it's set up for 2 volume, 1 tone.

edit: God damn Jazzhands, you beat me my one second. ONE SECOND.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
https://www.epiphone.com/en-US/Guitar/EPI3BX477/Les-Paul-Prophecy/Red-Tiger-Aged-Gloss

Les Paul Prophecy.

LTD EC-1000 VB if you can deal with the un-LP controls.

Wow, I had no idea about the Prophecy, that might be just the ticket! Not sure how I'd gel with Fishmans but I'm willing to find out. I like all the finish options, too.

I see that the necks are thinner than standard Gibson necks, does anyone have experience with these? I like thick necks, but I've owned and comfortably played a couple PRS Mushoks which had thinner necks than I am used to, anyway.

The newer EC-1000 models also come with a contoured heel, the upper fret access is really quite good on those.

Schecter used to have Solo models with 24 frets like this one

https://www.schecterguitars.com/vault/solo-ii-platinum-1085-detail

I like this Schecter design a lot, and am always keeping an eye out for used ones. Their Tempest body shape is really cool, too.

There was actually a Solo-II in a pawnshop here with the 4 knob layout but it had a really ugly burst and they wanted way too much for it. The 7s, or at least the Blackjack ones, were 26.5" as well. I had the SuperStrat version of the Blackjack ATX 7, would love to get ahold of the Solo version.

John

New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh
Reaction score
Under 1k, ESP/LTD makes the Eclipse. PRS currently makes the Santana SE singlecut trem and years ago, the Akerfeldt SE. Not sure if either of those are too "worship band"-ish for your tastes, but they're options nonetheless.

As far as Epiphone is concerned, the re-released Prophecy line looks nice. I'd gladly take one of their LP's from that line over the current Gibson offerings on account of price and specs.

BabUShka

Reaction score
I would go with the EC1000 VB. I have some premium guitars from Ernie Ball, Gibson and a MIJ Eclipse. The EC1000 VB is so close to the premium quality, its sick. I some times geel guilty for picking it up more than my Eclipse

spudmunkey

Reaction score
I know you said set-neck, but this model would tick all of the other boxes, but it's neck-through (since the EC1000 doesn't really have "Les Paul controls" with only 3 knobs anyway, ha!)

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338014327&icep_item=165253723638

https://reverb.com/item/45867983-carvin-sc90s-black-rh-electric-guitar-usa

Still a 24-fret single cut with LP controls, but slightly above the price, and has a Floyd...but it definitely doesn't have the narrow 3+3 headstock you dislike. :lol:
https://reverb.com/item/48537456-ki...quilt-guitar-upgraded-pick-ups-mint-condition

kisielk

Reaction score
Akerfeldt SE. Not sure if either of those are too "worship band"-ish for your tastes, but they're options nonetheless.
Not sure if the Akerfeldt would be a "worship band" guitar. Reminds me of the time I was on a roadtrip with my cousins in Poland, both of which are religious (one is actually in a seminary to become a priest!) and I had control of the stereo... I was letting it go through my playlist at random and "The Devil's Orchard" came on and suddenly the lyrics "GOD IS DEAD" were blasting through the speakers... fun times :)

IwantTacos

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
trust me there’s nothing better then playing bone crushing metal on a prs Santana se singlecut

also plus specify les Paul single cut. Teles also have a single cut.

mbardu

Reaction score
The prophecies can be pretty good.
If you absolutely want the LP shape and controls, you can also save a bunch of $$$ by grabbing a used one off of some place like GC online (which still has a return policy to make sure you get one of the good ones).

The Schecter Solos, I have not managed to find ones that really gave you that singlecut feel. Don't get me wrong, import Shecters (especially the higher end Korean ones) are great guitars, but may not be the feel you're after.

All that being said, I was on a singlecut search not too long ago, and ultimately got that LTD 1000 after trying pretty much everything.
If you can live without the 4th knob, I don't think you can beat it. This one beats all the others I tried, even for a good chunk $$$ more.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
The Chapman ML2 can probably fit the bill as well. Especially if you find an old Korean one.

745b80a06cd8ab316b0c1e674dfdfc56-1200-80.jpg

Also the Charvel Desolation DST2.

12220.jpg

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
trust me there’s nothing better then playing bone crushing metal on a prs Santana se singlecut

also plus specify les Paul single cut. Teles also have a single cut.

Whoops, yeah the post was originally explicit that I wanted an LP style guitar. I like teles but I want totally different things out of a telecaster.

Appreciate the recommendations so far. I really like the look of the prophecies so far, and slowly being sold on those ESPs. The right used Carvin is still a high desire item for me, but I'm not gonna hold my breath for a custom with my specs to pop up.

It'll be a while before I'm pulling the trigger on anything anyway, so this gives me a good idea of what to look for.

IwantTacos

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Whoops, yeah the post was originally explicit that I wanted an LP style guitar. I like teles but I want totally different things out of a telecaster.

Appreciate the recommendations so far. I really like the look of the prophecies so far, and slowly being sold on those ESPs. The right used Carvin is still a high desire item for me, but I'm not gonna hold my breath for a custom with my specs to pop up.

It'll be a while before I'm pulling the trigger on anything anyway, so this gives me a good idea of what to look for.

psst get the Santana se single cut.

Latest posts