25.5" drop tuning and tension?

• Thread starter Jarlesworth
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jarlesworth

Reaction score
Ok, I just got an Ibanez RGA7QM (my first 7-string) and I love it. It's simply amazing, but when I try to drop the 7th string down it doesn't have enough tension. Have I screwed myself over or is there a cheap/free fix for this?

:wallbash:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Splinterhead

Sojourner
Contributor
Reaction score
easy answer, go with a heavier set of strings. I'm sure people will come in with specifics. Just mention what gauge strings you're using now.:yesway:

Jarlesworth

Reaction score
I don't know why I didn't think of this. It seems like the first thing that would have came to mind :/ Thanks! I don't know the gauge of the strings I have on right now, just whatever came on it from the factory. I'll just get a nice beefy pack of strings, then... Anyhow, thanks again! :bowdown:

Splinterhead

Sojourner
Contributor
Reaction score
No worries! We aim to please in these parts.:hbang:

7stringDemon

Reaction score
May I make a suggestion? Buy strings on the D'Addario site. Because most 7 string packs are really odd. They will never put in a big enough B string. What are you putting it in, drop A? I recommend buying a .10-.46 set and then buy a single .70 for the A. It sounds REALLY big but it's not. It's actually perfect. The .46 in E and the .70 in A are actually about the same amount of tension so it balances out perfectly.

The .10-.46 set
D'Addario Strings : XL Nickel Round Wound : EXL111 Nickel Wound, Balanced Tension Regular Light, 10-46

The .70
D'Addario Strings : Electric Singles : XL Nickel Wound Singles
(it's at the bottom of the page. 4th one from the very bottom to be exact).

jdecaire

Reaction score
I have a 24.75" scale guitar in drop G# and it plays fine with an ernie ball 10-52 + 70 for the low B. Just a heads up you may have to do some pickup height adjustment or amp tone tweaking because it may sound muddy going that low if you have the stock pups in that guitar. I only had to do some minor tone tweaking and it was fine!