25.5" scale 7-strings. Worth it?

• Thread starter jbab
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jbab

Reaction score
I've been wondering, do you guys think it's worth getting a 25.5" scale 7? I always thought I'd rather go with a 27" to keep tension in the low B (or the low whatever if I downtune), but I've been seriously GASing Carvin DC700s, which are 25.5"

Maxx is

Reaction score
This is not a yes or no question, and you can chance the tension by simply using thicker gauges. The problem is, that the lower you go, the muddier and less intonated small-scaled guitars sound. There is no correct answer, but in my personal experience, 25,5 " scales work down to Standard A, if you want to go lower -> 26,5"+

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Personally, I think 25.5" works great for a 7, even when tuning down to G#. Past there, I'd probably look at longer scales for the sake of using thinner strings, but overall, 25.5" isn't bad at all.

Honestly, with a proper setup, a well thought-out string set, and decent pickups and amp settings any scale will work.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
It all depends how tight you like your strings. I like mine no less than 19lbs, which means running about a 62 or 64 gauge for B on 25.5". Then it's a case of tone - I am perfectly happy with the tonal performance of strings that thick on 25.5".
I can just about stand the tone of a 68 too, which means I can downtune to A fairly happily.
Beyond that I'd be considering a baritone though, because strings above 70 simply don't sound that great to me on standard scale.
Some people are happy with floppier strings, which means you can tune lower using the same gauge and still get a bright tone. Not for me.

sear

Reaction score
I have zero problems with 25.5-inch scale. I use 10-60 Dunlop Heavy Core strings and have zero problems with tension. Yeah, the low B could be a little tighter and brighter tonally speaking, but it intonates fine and there really is nothing wrong with the tone at all. Personally, drop A is as low as I'd ever want to go, but I think lower than that and you might start to have troubles with intonation, depending on how much you can adjust the bridge (Tune-O-Matic would suck, for instance).

Chi

Niverlare
Reaction score
25.5 works great on my Ibanez, really. I'm currently playing 60's on A - a little loose but it works for the kind of stuff I play on it. Lowest I went was G, with some 76's. Was a pain in the ass to intonate with a TOM and well, the sound was really lacking when recorded, but that could have other reasons, too.

I like the scale on my ibby, might want to get something longer sometime though. That's what she said.

EricSVT18

Reaction score
I have a 25.5" and 27". I play in mainly G# and it works just as well for both.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
25.5" works just fine. The only reason I like 27" more on guitars is that the frets are spaced farther apart which I find more comfortable for the weedly weedly zone... :shrug:

I have a 25" ARZ307 that I tune lower than my 27" 7s... :2c:

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
I don't like anything above 25.5 as I have cranky joints on my fretting hand...

wat

Reaction score
Definitely worth it. Longer scale guitars are cool, especially if you're really tuning low but the sound isn't for everybody

Reaction score
2 things

1) Carvin will be offing a 27" scale by the end of this year to a few models if you can wait.

2) You just have to try it out for yourself. Me personally, i don like anything over 25.5".

I had a 26.5 scale RGD prestige and sold it because i didnt like thescale. Everyones different though

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Also... Less ppl wanna play your guitars bc they're "too big."

Most seem pretty damn fascinated by fanned frets tho. :lol:

jbab

Reaction score
2 things

1) Carvin will be offing a 27" scale by the end of this year to a few models if you can wait.

2) You just have to try it out for yourself. Me personally, i don like anything over 25.5".

I had a 26.5 scale RGD prestige and sold it because i didnt like thescale. Everyones different though

I used to have an Agile 8 string with a 28.6 scale, which was a tiny bit too much for me. I think 27 would be fine, but I'd have to try one first...

Also... Less ppl wanna play your guitars bc they're "too big."

Most seem pretty damn fascinated by fanned frets tho. :lol:

I'm a lefty, so no one wants to play my guitars already :lol:

Given To Fly

Reaction score
I'd say an Ibanez Universe, EBMM JP7 or the new Jem7V7 would be worth it. ;)

CrazyDean

Reaction score
I think that adding an extra string and extending scale length on a new guitar will cause some objection. The guitar won't feel similar enough.

My experience is mostly in 25.5" scale 7s and I have never thought I needed anything more. The only other ERG I owned was a 28.625" scale, 8-string Agile, and it just wasn't comfy.

mongey

Reaction score
for me if you are downtuning all strings then longer scale makes sense. I tune to ADADGBe so I dont want to reduce or change playabiltiy acorss the whole guitar just to get maybe a better A string sound .I'd rather just sort the A string out with gauge choice and keep the feel I know for the rest

Matt_D_

Reaction score
i prefer 25.5" scale necks because i have small hands and playing 3 note per string scales on anything larger than that sucks.

I also like light tension strings. and find 10-59's about right for standard, or one step down. but thats me.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
Personally, I think 25.5" works great for a 7, even when tuning down to G#. Past there, I'd probably look at longer scales for the sake of using thinner strings, but overall, 25.5" isn't bad at all.

Honestly, with a proper setup, a well thought-out string set, and decent pickups and amp settings any scale will work.

This. I find 25.5'' to be just great for Drop Ab tuning. I agree though I wouldn't go past that, and you need to know how to tweak things to get enough clarity out of that low Ab - but it's completely possible. I use 11-56 with a 64 for Drop Ab and it's good, not too heavy, not too light.