25 years of Pantera's Vulgar Display of Power - Tribute Thread

• Thread starter nightlight
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

aesthyrian

Reaction score
What a classic. I grew up with this album and listening to it now really brings me back to a certain time and helps me remember the massive impact it had. To those of you bashing Walk, I thought it was so damn cool to hear a legit metal song with a great guitar solo like Walk on the radio in the middle of the afternoon, especially as a kid growing up in Chicago... nothing but grunge, so much Smashing Pumpkins all day every day. I can't think of a comparable song that has had a similar level of commercial success at all, not even one. :dime:

That guitar tone, the drum production.. it's all still so modern sounding. Hard to believe it's been 29 years.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightlight

Reaction score
OK, I have egg all over my face. No idea why I was getting all kinds of inputs on my feeds that it was the 25th anniversary, weird.

I honestly look at CFH as their first album because it was a markedly different band, playing a vastly different sound with that release. It was like they were born again metalheads. Gone were Diamond Darrell and Rex Rocker, it's like they emerged as something completely alien.

It's also interesting that most of their early catalog has just vanished. I was trying to pick up Power Metal on Amazon, and it is no longer available. I can't find the album on Spotify either, so perhaps it is region-locked.

Is it a label thing? I can't imagine some label unwilling to capitalise on owning the rights to early music from one of metal's best known acts.

The clicky drums on modern metal albums. That is all Pantera's doing. Vinnie used to paste coins on his drums to get that kind of attack.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
Pantera wasn’t on my radar until my buddy bought the Watch It Go video, which was my introduction to them and had a huuuuge effect on not just my listening tastes, but my personality, too. I was immediately drawn to Dimebag and the fun-loving shenanigans. I’ve always been a prankster and I was just starting to drink around that time, when I watched that, 15 year old me was like “THIS IS ME IN 15 YEARS!!!!!”.

I got Official Live first and it didn’t leave the stereo of my truck for so damn long. This was back in like, 98-99? All the kids in school were blaring rap and hip hop stuff when leaving the parking lot, I had a 2x10 in the back of my truck and I’d leave every day blaring that album or Fear Factory’s Obsolete.

I’ve got Far Beyond Driven tat’d on my right forearm. Got it back when I was really chasing music and doing the starving artist thing. Ha.

Sometimes it sucks being a Pantera fan these days, but at the end of the day, it never stops me from throwing on an album and rocking the f*ck out in my truck. I’m partial to Trendkill and really still love Official Live because it’s Pantera at the height of their awesomeness, IMO. No re-recording in the studio and I can’t hear a mistake on it.

I can’t pick between FBD, VDP or CFH, I love them all equally.

Protestheriphery

Reaction score
I very well may be in the minority with this statement, but it's a risk I'm willing to take: VDOP is the only Pantera record that I listen to from front to back. I dont even see it as a collection of songs, but rather ONE song, featuring crushing riff after crushing riff. Personally, the succeeding records have a few highlights each, but dont quite compare.

zappatton2

Reaction score
I remember the first time I saw the video for Mouth For War, I didn't care for it, as I mostly either listened to death metal or 80's thrash, and it was a little too "new metal" for my tastes (pre-"nu"). But the drummer of the band I was playing with at the time played that album constantly, and I had no choice but to relent.

As someone who was always slow to adapt to new sounds back then, I can definitely confirm that Pantera was ahead of the curve for the time.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I thought it was weird that Jose Mangain on Liquid Metal the other day announced that VDoP was 29 years old, like it was some landmark anniversary. I might have missed the part where he explained that people were posting some nonsense on social media about it being 25 years old, though.

Anyway. VDoP was my first Pantera album. A buddy of mine was really into CFH, and, honestly, I thought the title sounded like a cartoon or something (might as well have been called "Biker Zombies from Detroit"), so I avoided it. But, once a couple songs were regularly on the radio, I decided to pick the album up. I also got two of their next three albums.

Frankly, I always thought Vinne and Rex were the coolest part of the band. Such great grooves. Dime was a hell of a player, so no disrespect intended, but I just loved the rhythm section of the band's heavy grooves.

jaxadam

Reaction score
I very well may be in the minority with this statement, but it's a risk I'm willing to take: VDOP is the only Pantera record that I listen to from front to back. I dont even see it as a collection of songs, but rather ONE song, featuring crushing riff after crushing riff. Personally, the succeeding records have a few highlights each, but dont quite compare.

I feel exactly the same way.

Steo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My first ever gig was Pantera touting Vulgar display.. Feb 93. Gruntruck opened. I've been told their gig here before that one was even better, them & Megadeth with The Almighty opening. that was some time in '92. Definitely over played Vulgar as a youngfella, much prefer Trendkill and Far beyond driven.

Edit setlist https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pantera/1993/sfx-hall-dublin-ireland-5bd3f7e4.html