28.625" Vs 30" Scale

• Thread starter swayman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Which is your next scale?

• 28.625"

Votes: 23 37.7%
  • 30"

Votes: 23 37.7%
  • Neither, something else...

Votes: 15 24.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Scarpie

Reaction score
i would opt for the longer the better, but i can say that cause i am pretty shitty on leads and am more riff oriented.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

heineken_fretwalker

Team Ibanez
Reaction score
I'm the same mate, I'm not talented enough to play leads!

Nonsense. Everybody has to start somewhere, and with work you can achieve greatness :)

The longest scale guitar I've ever owned was a Hellraiser at 26.5", and I must know, what's beneficial about the long scale? I never really asked before, but it's something that has always bugged me.

Daiephir

likes peanut butter
Reaction score
Longer scale= achieving same tuning with lighter strings than shorter scale with big-has-fuck strings.

I'd probably go for either 28.8" 8 string (with low F#) or a 27.7" to 24.5" fanned 8 string (low B to high B (the one past high A, actually, it would probably be a Bb all fourth tuning). As for 7 strings --> 27.7" scale for one with a low B and 25.5" for one with a high A.

(Yes, I plan on building myself at least 4 guitars in the next 2-3 years)

heineken_fretwalker

Team Ibanez
Reaction score
Longer scale= achieving same tuning with lighter strings than shorter scale with big-has-fuck strings.

I'd probably go for either 28.8" 8 string (with low F#) or a 27.7" to 24.5" fanned 8 string (low B to high B (the one past high A, actually, it would probably be a Bb all fourth tuning). As for 7 strings --> 27.7" scale for one with a low B and 25.5" for one with a high A.

(Yes, I plan on building myself at least 4 guitars in the next 2-3 years)

Ok. I see. I'm still trying to determine the gauge of strings I want for mine when it arrives. I'll be fluctuating between E and F, and it has a 28.625" scale. I wish I could build guitars. I would have so many haha.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
34-37" fan.

Oh, I'm getting a Dingwall 5-string bass tuned to standard :lol:

I doubt I'm going to end up with a guitar longer than 26.5" again, I have a 27" Septor and that's enough for me considering I don't downtune.

phaeded0ut

droooooneeeeeeeee!
Reaction score
My next guitar will be fanned fret, and at the longest distance it'll be 28.x" in scale length for the low C#. This said, my Brooklyn Gear is around a 27" and isn't anywhere as comfortable as my Roter (at 30"), but then again, it's comparing a low end vs. a custom guitar so it isn't exactly a proper comparison.

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
i would opt for the longer the better, but i can say that cause i am pretty shitty on leads and am more riff oriented.

:scratch: Why would it make any difference on leads? I can rip fine on my long scale guitar... Fredrik Thordendal seems to have no issues either. Just set the action low and go.

heineken_fretwalker

Team Ibanez
Reaction score
:scratch: Why would it make any difference on leads? I can rip fine on my long scale guitar... Fredrik Thordendal seems to have no issues either. Just set the action low and go.

Yeah, I've never had a problem either. When I tested the Strictly 7 guitars, most of them were 27 inchers, and I didn't notice any hindrance.

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
You gotta be a little more careful how you set the neck because the bow will affect the action slightly more, but I run mine pretty ridiculously low and flat so I can wank like its 1986 when required / I feel I need to / the booze makes me do so. :lol:

BlackMetalVenom

Vallz und Veinaz
Reaction score
My next nine will be a 28.625" scale. I say this because I bough one of the Agile 9's with a 30 inch scale; I made the jump from a seven string 28.625" to this guitar.
I didn't think that 1 3/8" would make that much of a difference, but I was taken aback when I couldn't tune a set of 11's to standard. My seven handled 11-68 just fine, but I ended up tuning to D-standard on my nine, even after I adjusted the action as low as I could possible get it without buzzing.
It also hindered some more stretchy licks I used to be able to play, but I found it easier to play normal three note per-string scale patterns.
I got used to it though, but I personally would trade this thing in for a 28.625" nine.

Edit: Holy shit, I didn't notice this was an old thread, my apologies.

BeyondAntares

Reaction score
other.

29.13'' but fanned fret - something by Oni perhaps.
Looking at a 680mm - 740mm scale

knuckle_head

Reaction score
OK, as the guru of long scale length, I take your input seriously, so I gotta ask - why that length? Would that be 2 frets beyond the 28.625"?

Precisely.

25.5" 27" 28.625" 30.3" 32.125" 34" - each near-exactly one fret longer than the one previous.

Latest posts