33 breath controller

• Thread starter jaretthale78
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
As they were, no, they are not available. I'm sure you've already found a lot of information on it, including construction, through Google by using those three words you used as your title, so I'll not bore you by repeating it.

For what it's worth, you can probably get other MIDI-controlled gear and use similar gear like the Anatek Wind Machine and/or some MIDI expression pedals...

Good luck!

jaretthale78

7 stringed playa
Reaction score
As they were, no, they are not available. I'm sure you've already found a lot of information on it, including construction, through Google by using those three words you used as your title, so I'll not bore you by repeating it.

For what it's worth, you can probably get other MIDI-controlled gear and use similar gear like the Anatek Wind Machine and/or some MIDI expression pedals...

Good luck!
dude..im on the slowest computer on a 56k modem..i ask all my questions here..i try to open another site and my computer litterally shuts off..

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
I used to post on the meshuggah forum in 2002-2003 and I remember the drummers brother doing a few 33 controller orders for forum members. I cant remember how many were made, maybe 10 or so? there were some pretty cool examples posted up by forum members.

Maybe best to go to that forum and see if there are any search results for 33 controllers.

shotgunn

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just caught wind of the amazing 33. I am currently devoting much time into prototyping one of my own with intent to sell to anyone who is interested. I have to do some more research including making sure I cannot be taken to court for doing such a thing. I am going to guess that this circuit is totally open as the designer Johan freely posted his work in great detail on his website.

I am aiming for potentially starting some sort of batch, perhaps 10 or more if the demand is there, in approximately 6 months...

Thanx,

shotgunn

:yesway: thanx bro

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
@shotgunn> If it's not too pricey, you have a client right here :D will it be a MIDI controller or something more like an effect?

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
I ask because Johan Haake did both, if it's the analog effect version I'm even more interested :D

S-O

t(-.-t)
Reaction score
The one Fredrik was using seemed to be an effect, but I feel that the principles of the controller can be used for MIDI controller, just need the yamaha breath doo higgy, a joy stick, or something that can do XY functions and what not, and then just hook 'er up, and hoep that the midi device you have is programmable, like the Axe-fx and such, where IIRC you can tell it to read the controller, so as you dick around with it, you can assign moves to functions in the unit.

shotgunn

Reaction score
The 33 is just a controller. No audio passes through it at all. It generates MIDI data based on your breath as well as the X - Y axes. This MIDI data can be assigned to control virtually any parameter your audio processor has to offer. I believe that Frederik uses the Nord Micro Lead... Or something like that.

By default I believe the breathe controls amplitude. The X and Y of the joystick can be assigned to anything. Filter sweeps, delay tempo, you name it...

I'll keep you posted. I'll start another thread to gauge the interest in the 33.

I would like to make several of them... We'll see.

Thanx,

shotgunn

ArcheAudio

ArcheAudio
Reaction score
Please sign me up for one of these. I have tried most of the year to emulate this type of sound. I got an email back from John who disigns the midi controller for Yamaha but he said he didn't know about this device.

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
Sorry for bumping this thread, I just have a quick question.

If I just wanted these as a substitute for an expression pedal, with no MIDI applications, can it be done with nothing but the actual unit with an input and output and a simple on/off switch? All I want is for the breath to control the signal i.e no breath = no sound, breath = sound, heavy breathing = volume increase, spurts = staccato notes etcetc.... but just a dry signal manipulation.

ArcheAudio

ArcheAudio
Reaction score
Sorry for bumping this thread, I just have a quick question.

If I just wanted these as a substitute for an expression pedal, with no MIDI applications, can it be done with nothing but the actual unit with an input and output and a simple on/off switch? All I want is for the breath to control the signal i.e no breath = no sound, breath = sound, heavy breathing = volume increase, spurts = staccato notes etcetc.... but just a dry signal manipulation.

Do you have a controller? I would think you should be able to assign the control to the input or threshold. In my efforts to emulate the breath controller sound I assigned the control of the input level modifier to the control of the input signal on my compressor and also to the attack and ratio and came up with some interesting control. Also assigned some controls to other components such as chorus and delay to get some of Fredriks solo sounds in songs like " Spasm "

I don't know much about this device but it has had my interest since I first heard the tone and sound of it. Midi control is where I start to fade due to my lack of knowledge on midi in general. However, it seems like you should be able to control any parameter of your tone ie; attack release gain volume input output etc and others with this controller? Kinda like a foot pedal but not.

I just wish I had this device. Here is a sample of a few emulations Iv'e done.
YouTube - Arche Audio - Jazz Skys - Experimental Jazz Metal Fusion

YouTube - 33 Breath Controller Emulation - Ibanez 8 String - Cover Solo

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
^ I wouldn't know half of what you're saying to be honest. I'm JUST getting started with pedal building, which probably says something about my knowledge (or lack thereof) in this field! ^^