3d Printed guitar questions

Soubi7string

3d printer go brrrrrrrrr
Reaction score
So its been 6 or 7 years since I've been back on this site.
And I got questions on a guitar body I've 3d printed.
So I 3d printed the body of a strandberg guitar that was hollowed out, out of PETG

This guitar to be exact!
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3046322

well I decided to fill the honeycomb pattern with short hair fiberglass(done)
and I plan on epoxy resin coating it after smoothing it
and then painting it in a paint called Black 3.0

and then putting a set of either Dimarzio Imperium or Dimarzio Titan pickups
with a 500k volume mini pot, 500k tone pot, and instead of a toggle switch a 500k blend pot in its place.

now my question is this, what should I expect tonally?
I'm wondering if it'll sound chunky, clear, and have decent sustain

I plan on attaching a random jackson neck and installing gotoh locking machine heads
with a fender stratocaster bridge made fixed bridge of course.

Any thoughts on the projects outcome?
any suggestions?
I plan to see the project through to fruition.
will post pics later on after I finish sanding and smoothing it down tomorrow

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
I've been waiting for someone to paint a guitar with black 3.0! Somehow it doesn't look as black as I would expect in the pictures. Maybe because it is matte.

Soubi7string

3d printer go brrrrrrrrr
Reaction score
Crazy. I have no idea what it will sound like. Probably a lot like whatever pickups and amp you use.
Im thinking of throwing in a Dimarzio Imperium in the bridge and maybe a Dimarzio Dark Matter in the neck.

That's pretty awesome
Thanks man!

How long did the print take and that kind of machine did you do it on?
it took about 2 days to print it in PETG on my CR10 with a Microswiss All Metal Hotend

I've been waiting for someone to paint a guitar with black 3.0! Somehow it doesn't look as black as I would expect in the pictures. Maybe because it is matte.

I plan on painting the body and whatever neck I get in black 3.0!
Apparently it takes several coats to get it to the right amount of black and it has to be with a matte coat so that light isnt reflected at all

redkombat

Tree Whore
Reaction score
ive had 2 fiberglass guitars. 1 kay from the 60s or 70s that was very thin laid fiberglass that sounded good but the guitar itself always felt fragile. and 1 no name that sounded dull af with a thicker fibre skin. im curious if the hallow honeycomb under it will make it sound more full. I think it might loose sustain tho? interested in the results...

spudmunkey

Reaction score

It'a a very delicate paint, though, too. From their own product page, there's an FAQ where someone asks if it could be used on a car or bike. The answer:"3.0 is quite fragile and will just scratch off, it won’t weather well."

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
It'a a very delicate paint, though, too. From their own product page, there's an FAQ where someone asks if it could be used on a car or bike. The answer:"3.0 is quite fragile and will just scratch off, it won’t weather well."
Wonder how well it would hold up with a gloss clear coat over it. I'm particularly curious about using it as a base for chameleon pigment.

But that's neither here nor there. Very excited to see how this guitar comes out!

IGC

Reaction score
Im thinking of throwing in a Dimarzio Imperium in the bridge and maybe a Dimarzio Dark Matter in the neck.

Thanks man!

it took about 2 days to print it in PETG on my CR10 with a Microswiss All Metal Hotend

I plan on painting the body and whatever neck I get in black 3.0!
Apparently it takes several coats to get it to the right amount of black and it has to be with a matte coat so that light isnt reflected at all

What is your print bed size?

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Definitely watching this. I have the same Thingiverse thing in my queue. My plan was to print the central core block out of CF-filled PTEG (very stiff) and the the wings out of translucent Red PTEG.

Soubi7string

3d printer go brrrrrrrrr
Reaction score
ive had 2 fiberglass guitars. 1 kay from the 60s or 70s that was very thin laid fiberglass that sounded good but the guitar itself always felt fragile. and 1 no name that sounded dull af with a thicker fibre skin. im curious if the hallow honeycomb under it will make it sound more full. I think it might loose sustain tho? interested in the results...

Same here, hopefully the sustain wont be absolute garbage

would a strong matte coat ruin it and the effect?

What is your print bed size?
for the 2 CR10 I have I think IIRC its a foot by foot by foot build plate, Its fairly large

Definitely watching this. I have the same Thingiverse thing in my queue. My plan was to print the central core block out of CF-filled PTEG (very stiff) and the the wings out of translucent Red PTEG.

Just printed out I know it sounds dope. Filled and resined not too sure

Soubi7string

3d printer go brrrrrrrrr
Reaction score
Update time fellas:

Got ahold of Culture Hustle about black 3.0
they strongly advised me not to mix with epoxy resin as it turns black 3.0 grey no matter the mix and also ruins the effect.

Well I then contacted Spectralon about the whitest white material and got quoted for a machined guitar body for 1500$ and then a pint of spectraflect which is 1333$

So I ask you all, what colour should I go with instead? or if you guys know of any insane colours out there

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Have you seen "Road Flare Red" in person? Seeing it in photos isn't the same. I wouldn't be suprised if you told me that super high-quality cameras, high bitrate color processing and accurate calibrated displays would still have a hard time showing the color accurately.

Soubi7string

3d printer go brrrrrrrrr
Reaction score
Have you seen "Road Flare Red" in person? Seeing it in photos isn't the same. I wouldn't be suprised if you told me that super high-quality cameras, high bitrate color processing and accurate calibrated displays would still have a hard time showing the color accurately.
had to google it and I instantly recognized it. That eye fucking red is dope tho.
I did find LIT by culture hustle which glows at a RIDICULOUS rate and then there is Phaze that changes from the most purple purple to the pinkest pink via ANY temp change and both can be mixed throuigh Epoxy Resin.

Latest posts