4x12 guitar cab damping material - question

Rectionmaarten

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been building cabs for some time now, but I never considered putting damping material inside the cabs.
I don't know if it would make it sound better, but I think I'm gonna give it a try next week. The only thing I don't exactly know is:
What does damping material change in the sound of your cab? (so which difference will it make soundwise?)

I'm gonna try putting damping material inside my 4x12 Celestion V30 cabinet.
This is a short video of one of my cabs, comparing it with an Orange ppc412.

As you'll notice, the sound of my J&C (that's how I call them) is really clear and defined. But maybe damping material will make it sound different (can be worse, can be better, I don't know).

I will be using this kind of material for the damping, is this ok for it?
Acoustic Foam 1-1/2" x 24" x 18" UL 94 260-516

Thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BadSeed

Reaction score
A lot of people will give you different answers on why it is a good idea or aterrible idea, with a bunch of scientific garbage about standing waves and whatnot.

From my experience, I put a strip of that mattress foam you can get at Walmart across tthe bottom panel of my XXX cab (very underrated btw) and it really seemed to add some depth to the cab that wasn't there before. It has a much better bass response and sounds larger and deeper at the same time. It didn't really seem to have much of an effect on any other parts of the sound spectrum though.

col

blah.
Reaction score
Foam will absorb a part of the energy in the sound waves, as opposed to the inside walls reflecting most of it back without the foam.
(Sound is kinetic energy moving as waves of air pressure).

So it'll take a part of the sound away. What part exactly, will depend on the size of the cab, thickness and material of the foam, the stars, who sits in the white house etc.

GizmoGardens

ECE/MetalHead
Reaction score
BadSeed said:
A lot of people will give you different answers on why it is a good idea or aterrible idea, with a bunch of scientific garbage about standing waves and whatnot.

lol I wonder why that is...

Posted from Sevenstring.org App for Android

Wizard of Ozz

Arch-Mage of Metal
Reaction score
You can buy the poly-batting material at craft stores like Jo-Ann's or Michaels. Staple it to the back panel. It does kill standing waves and makes the sound warmer, smoother, and a little darker.

BadSeed

Reaction score
lol I wonder why that is...

Posted from Sevenstring.org App for Android

I'm not saying it isn't true, but the "scientific" argument always seems to go on and on and it doesn't seem to make much sense to someone who hasn't spent much time actually researching.the subject. I say let your ears be the judge of whether you like what you hear or not.

Wrecklyss

Custom Speaker Cabinet Builder
Reaction score
I find damping cabs makes them more accurate and more efficient. That said, batting material sold at fabric stores will work and is very affordable. The thing to keep in mind for internal cab damping is "random" meaning you are looking for an asymmetrical surface. Another advantage to the batting is it can be tested by being installed with double sided tape first and easily added to, reduced, or removed to taylor your sound to taste.

Rectionmaarten

Reaction score
Thanks.

I'm just gonna try it, hoping to get a bit less high end. It sounds really sharp now (maybe a bit too sharp, although I like an sound with a lot of highs), so I hope I can get it a bit more balanced.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Even the room that the cab is sitting in will be a factor as to wheather or not it's an advantage or disadvantage.
Obviously the thicker the foam and the more surface area covered will reduce internal reverb/reflection, so like badseed said it's just a matter of trial and error.

I haven't opened up very many different cab models to see what is standard practice.
The krank rev jr 112 cab I used to have had some wool looking shit on it's back panel.

Does anyone know if the major brand cabs use any internal foam at all, or how much and where?

Wrecklyss

Custom Speaker Cabinet Builder
Reaction score
Even the room that the cab is sitting in will be a factor as to wheather or not it's an advantage or disadvantage.
Obviously the thicker the foam and the more surface area covered will reduce internal reverb/reflection, so like badseed said it's just a matter of trial and error.

I haven't opened up very many different cab models to see what is standard practice.
The krank rev jr 112 cab I used to have had some wool looking shit on it's back panel.

Does anyone know if the major brand cabs use any internal foam at all, or how much and where?

Most do not. You would notice it the most if it were placed on the back panel, anywhere from 1"-3" would be plenty.

Rectionmaarten

Reaction score
I tried the cab wit damping material attached to the back panel, but it sounded better without. The damping material took away a part of the dynamics of the cab. It sounds much more dynamic without.

col

blah.
Reaction score
Thanks.

I'm just gonna try it, hoping to get a bit less high end. It sounds really sharp now (maybe a bit too sharp, although I like an sound with a lot of highs), so I hope I can get it a bit more balanced.

What speakers are in the cab? Just swap 1 or 2 speakers to darker ones, for a much more noticeable difference.

flexkill

Vodka & PentaTonic
Reaction score
I would think it not a great idea unless you feel you have a very bright cabinet. It most definitely is going to change the tone big time and probably muffle the shit out of it.:scratch: