5 string pickup help

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
well, im totally playing doctor and going all surgeonfuck on my 5 string. this includes new pickups. its loaded with stock yamaha soapbars. i wanted to put emgs in, namely a musicman bridge and a jbass neck. however, not available for 5 string. how shitty. so i look into seymour duncan. closer, they make the mm for 5, but its passive. im ok with passive, but on bass i prefer active. ima keep looking. any suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
The MM's are passive but generally run through an active preamp.

I highly recommend Delano pickups from Germany. I've heard them and they sound fantastic. Another well kept secret is the BassXX preamp, also from Germany (used on BassLab basses I believe). It's basically a great sounding EQ to shape your pickup's natural tone. If you want manipulate the sound further the Audere preamps are just amazing, and David is fantastic to deal with.

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
DELANO PICKUP SYSTEMS

oh man. its like the two pickups i want in one! oh man.
but the price... the set of those plus a j neck, is more than i originally paid for the bass! but oh man.

thanks a ton.

anybody have experience with bartolini MM and Jbass pickups? i've onlyl used some random soapbars

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Sweet :D The Hybrid package comes with 3 band EQ! That's awesome, I wasn't aware Delano made preamps too.

I've found Bartolini a bit patchy personally. Some folks swear by them, but IMO what some of the newer companies are doing now has really raised the bar.

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
man. this poor bass. its a yamaha rbx775. Its getting the frets ripped out. a nice mahogany block in the middle. apparently a delano hybrid with jazz neck setup, a graphtech hipshot type a bridge, piezo loaded. im also doing a bit of recontouring on the top horn, and the neck back.

dan, consider your mental shit flexed upon, and deemed true

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
This is getting off-topic, but when I saw the title of this thread I thought you were talking about one of those five-string guitars tuned in fifths that Schecter used to make...:lol: