500 series thread!

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I didn't see a thread when I searched so I'm makin' one! (if there is one already then apologies. It didn't show up when I searched)

I got a used API500-6b for a good deal so I'm looking to get some stuff for it.

it's 2022 and the world is kinda crap for inventory so some of the things I wanted to get aren't available. I can get my hands on an API512V (or C, but i'm going for a V), and a Neve517 mic pre/comp.

So what are your favorite (favourite?) pre's/compressors/eq's/fx stuff?

Since I can't get a distressor (thanks lack of inventory), I may look for a 500 series compressor to pair up with the API512V. Any recommendations?

I'm thinking about a radial X-Amp for the 500 series too, but I may lean more towards a box unit instead so I can move it around easier.

Anyway, gimme your favorite 500 series things! 🙋‍♀️💪

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hey, good timing, it just occurred to me I still have four open spaces in my 500-series rack, and I'm trying to figure out what to fill them with.

Strong contenders are some sort of opto compressor, mostly for tracking acoustic guitars, but probably with occasional bass and very occasional vocal work. Strong contender:

Of course, more pres are always tempting -
Kind of interesting, as a "color" option: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...-hills-industries-mono-gama-microphone-preamp
180 in the other direction, a very "clean" pre since I have some good color options: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/m501--grace-design-m501-microphone-preamp

As for 500 series stuff I have and like, the Rupert Neve Designs 551 EQs are awesome, and I have a pair of CAPI V28s which are very sparkly and deep, sound great on acoustic guitars. Also, I own a 19" rack version and not their 500-series modules, but the BAE 1073s kick all sorts of ass.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey, good timing, it just occurred to me I still have four open spaces in my 500-series rack, and I'm trying to figure out what to fill them with.

Strong contenders are some sort of opto compressor, mostly for tracking acoustic guitars, but probably with occasional bass and very occasional vocal work. Strong contender:

Of course, more pres are always tempting -
Kind of interesting, as a "color" option: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...-hills-industries-mono-gama-microphone-preamp
180 in the other direction, a very "clean" pre since I have some good color options: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/m501--grace-design-m501-microphone-preamp

As for 500 series stuff I have and like, the Rupert Neve Designs 551 EQs are awesome, and I have a pair of CAPI V28s which are very sparkly and deep, sound great on acoustic guitars. Also, I own a 19" rack version and not their 500-series modules, but the BAE 1073s kick all sorts of ass.

A Mono Gamma is available right now locally and I'm tempted to pull the trigger on it, but I think I'm going to pick up this Neve517 first to get that in my arsenal.

Picked up my first API512V today! 😱 Got a free t-shirt too from the shop I bought it from lol

IMG_20220328_164506.jpg

I'll have to look into that API525. Since a distressor is on major back order, I'll probably shop around for something else to hold me tight until one becomes available.

The Wes Audio stuff looks really friggin' cool. I just stumbled across them yesterday. I can interface with a DAW just like a plugin and have saved recall settings.

tedtan

Reaction score
I have and can vouch for the API 512v and the Neve 1073lb preamps and the API 550b and Neve 1073lbeq EQ modules. I also have and like the API 565 filter, which has high and low pass filters along with a parametric notch filter.

Here’s an old pic of my 500 series rack along with a Focusrite ISA Mk II:

C1AE08A7-6C97-4F92-A67B-FFF6BFC0B916.jpeg

Next up, I’m looking into the following. And by “looking into”, I mean I have the money set aside, I just haven’t placed the order yet.

1176 style compressor: Serpent Audio Splice Mk II 500
LA2A/LA3A style compressor: IGS One LA
SSL Buss compressor: Serpent Audio SB4001
EQ: Purple LilPeakrM

Something else that looks interesting is the DIYRE Color Pallette. This is a 500 series module that holds three Colour Modules, available from DIYRE, Louder Than Liftoff, and others. These can be bought as a kit you solder up yourself or already built and offer tons of different colors that can be driven to taste.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have and can vouch for the API 512v and the Neve 1073lb preamps and the API 550b and Neve 1073lbeq EQ modules. I also have and like the API 565 filter, which has high and low pass filters along with a parametric notch filter.

Here’s an old pic of my 500 series rack along with a Focusrite ISA Mk II:

View attachment 105624

Next up, I’m looking into the following. And by “looking into”, I mean I have the money set aside, I just haven’t placed the order yet.

1176 style compressor: Serpent Audio Splice Mk II 500
LA2A/LA3A style compressor: IGS One LA
SSL Buss compressor: Serpent Audio SB4001
EQ: Purple LilPeakrM

Something else that looks interesting is the DIYRE Color Pallette. This is a 500 series module that holds three Colour Modules, available from DIYRE, Louder Than Liftoff, and others. These can be bought as a kit you solder up yourself or already built and offer tons of different colors that can be driven to taste.

oh that's sick dude!

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
ok gave my api512 a quick whirl for the first time

I'll be damn.....It is true..... I am a believer now. The hardware mic pre's are better than the UAD stuff.

....goodbye monies... I foresee where all of it's going for the near future lol

tedtan

Reaction score

I'll be damn.....It is true..... I am a believer now. The hardware mic pre's are better than the UAD stuff.

Just be aware that its very tempting to fill in any empty slots you have.

oh that's sick dude!
Thanks.

I’ve been working towards setting up a commercial studio, but as I get closer, I think I’m leaning more towards being a very selective producer/tracking/mixing engineer as I don’t want to put up with band politics and egos. Hopefully I can avoid most of that by picking the right people to work with.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just be aware that its very tempting to fill in any empty slots you have.

Thanks.

I’ve been working towards setting up a commercial studio, but as I get closer, I think I’m leaning more towards being a very selective producer/tracking/mixing engineer as I don’t want to put up with band politics and egos. Hopefully I can avoid most of that by picking the right people to work with.
lol I'm already feeling the temptation. good thing I only bought a 6 slot lunchbox.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score

I mean, Universal Audio stuff is pretty good, I wouldn't knock it... but, it's also a lot more neutral and all-purpose, and the API is going to have a little more color to it. But, yeah - proper mic pres are pretty great, and I feel like everything I run through mine has more "mass" abnd "body" to it than even the - very good, but very neutral - pres in my Apogee.

EDIT - also, I know you were thinking about compressors... but IMO, a 500-series EQ to run behind your preamp might be a better starting point. Compression is a bit harder to get right on input, but you've probably been mixing guitars well enough to have a good idea of at least what broad EQ tweaks you're going to want to make in a mix, and especially something like a Neve style EQ qhere it's fairly broad "shaping" EQ and not a tight parametric surgical EQ, you can get a lot of your broad shaping done on input and still leave yourself enough rope to, well, have to find some way to hang yourself in the box, because you didn't on input. :lol:

Last edited:

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I mean, Universal Audio stuff is pretty good, I wouldn't knock it... but, it's also a lot more neutral and all-purpose, and the API is going to have a little more color to it. But, yeah - proper mic pres are pretty great, and I feel like everything I run through mine has more "mass" abnd "body" to it than even the - very good, but very neutral - pres in my Apogee.

EDIT - also, I know you were thinking about compressors... but IMO, a 500-series EQ to run behind your preamp might be a better starting point. Compression is a bit harder to get right on input, but you've probably been mixing guitars well enough to have a good idea of at least what broad EQ tweaks you're going to want to make in a mix, and especially something like a Neve style EQ qhere it's fairly broad "shaping" EQ and not a tight parametric surgical EQ, you can get a lot of your broad shaping done on input and still leave yourself enough rope to, well, have to find some way to hang yourself in the box, because you didn't on input. :lol:
oh yeah totally. If I want a cleaner signal, I'd totally flop back to the UAD ones. It definitely has its place still.

More mass is a good way to put it on what I was hearing with the 512v.

Oh for the compression it would be something with a very very lighting touch on tracking. Maybe 1-2 db or so. I wouldn't do anything heavy handed on the way in.

I see on the EQ. That's one reason I was wanting a BAE 1703 with the EQ. It would have been a good catch all. I hear the 500 series pultecs are supposed to be quite good, and well the neve stuff of course like you said. 🤔

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
oh yeah totally. If I want a cleaner signal, I'd totally flop back to the UAD ones. It definitely has its place still.

More mass is a good way to put it on what I was hearing with the 512v.

Oh for the compression it would be something with a very very lighting touch on tracking. Maybe 1-2 db or so. I wouldn't do anything heavy handed on the way in.

I see on the EQ. That's one reason I was wanting a BAE 1703 with the EQ. It would have been a good catch all. I hear the 500 series pultecs are supposed to be quite good, and well the neve stuff of course like you said. 🤔
I mean, at the same time, let's be honest... I've used my Apogee integrated pres approximately 0 times since an initial A/B after getting my BAE pres. :lol: In theory, a more neutral pre has it's place, but, well... aside from the general Tetris-ing of things together, a lot of mixing IS selectively adding color, so just doing it on input isn't a bad way to go at it at all.

I can't speak for how the Rupert Neve Designs 551s compare to a Neve EQ, but they're a couple hundred cheaper, still what I'd consider an "authentic" circuit designed by Rupert Neve, and after really falling for the Neve EQ sound thanks to the excellent Sonimus Burnley73 (worth grabbing, incidentally, if even just as a saturation plugin - I use the shit out of this plugin), I'd say with confidence they respond the way a Neve circuit is supposed to. It's very hard to make them sound bad.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I mean, at the same time, let's be honest... I've used my Apogee integrated pres approximately 0 times since an initial A/B after getting my BAE pres. :lol: In theory, a more neutral pre has it's place, but, well... aside from the general Tetris-ing of things together, a lot of mixing IS selectively adding color, so just doing it on input isn't a bad way to go at it at all.

I can't speak for how the Rupert Neve Designs 551s compare to a Neve EQ, but they're a couple hundred cheaper, still what I'd consider an "authentic" circuit designed by Rupert Neve, and after really falling for the Neve EQ sound thanks to the excellent Sonimus Burnley73 (worth grabbing, incidentally, if even just as a saturation plugin - I use the shit out of this plugin), I'd say with confidence they respond the way a Neve circuit is supposed to. It's very hard to make them sound bad.

lol well I can't get a BAE pre yet 'cause they're on a massive backorder lol. I was gonna! ...I'm going to have to just sit and wait though :(

I'm guessing it'll be a while...

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
lol well I can't get a BAE pre yet 'cause they're on a massive backorder lol. I was gonna! ...I'm going to have to just sit and wait though :(

I'm guessing it'll be a while...
Plenty of good Neve style options, though - they're a good one, but either the Rupert Neve Designs or Neve stuff (which I believe is no longer owned by the Neve family but I imagine is still extremely well made) would also do you well, I suspect. Someone else whose ears I trust recommended Aurora as a Neve-like thickness without quite as much low mids, no experience myself but worth a look too.

tedtan

Reaction score
I addition to AMS Neve and BAE, there are other options. A few to consider are:

AML EZ-1073: You can also order this directly from AML as a kit you solder your yourself.
Heritage Audio 73JR
Vintech: Several options, but no 500 series to my knowledge.

And a couple that are in the general ballpark, but maybe not quite as colored:

Great River MP-500NV
Avedis MA5

And for a 1960s era Neve sound (before the cleaner 1073 came about), something like the Chandler Germanium 500 Mk II should get you close.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
yeah if I go for a neve type my brain just wants to go for a BAE or Neve designs one before I look at the other options just because they seem fancier/cream of the crop haha

The heritage audio one is supposed to be really good from what I've read in the past. I totally forgot about those guys. I should look back into them

The Chandler Germanium is intriguing. I remember seeing that Pete thorn video not long ago on it.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
Check out Hairball Audio. They make a killer mic pre, eq, and 1176 that are available in 500 series. Good colored compression is probably the hardest thing to emulate in plugins without some serious cpu consumption, and just catching peaks on vocals makes an 1176 a must have for tracking imo. You can keep them pretty transparent and get a nice depth, or smash it and get an awesome aggressive bright color without being harsh.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
oh awesome. Those are a good price.

I was looking at the wes audio MIMAS. It's an 1176 style one but I don't do any hybrid mixing (and don't plan to) so that's probably overkill to have an 1176 style one that can interface like a plugin. Plus I think you have to buy the Calypso module to do that interfacing too so that's an extra expense. ...It's kinda neat looking though

That hairball though.. if it sounds good then that's a hard price to pass on. I'm not sure where to get that in Canada though. Looks like they're out of stock right now too.