54 gauge for a low B, am I finally losing it...

• Thread starter Legion
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DECEMBER

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My main guitars are Gibson scale and I float from Drop D to Drop C# depending on mood. I'm still working on trying to find the right strings as for years I just used thick strings because in my head "thick strings = thick sound". Also, most of my guitar life was just me being chug monkey, slinging the guitar super low, and just doing rhythm. Now that I'm doing more leads, my playing consists of more than chugs, and because of pinch harmonics I find that I'm easing up off heavy strings and trying to find a happy medium in terms of tension and sound. I've eased down to 10-52 but honestly I'm beginning to think that the balanced 11-50s will probably be what I need. I have noticed the characteristics of the tone have changed. Hard to describe but I feel like thicker strings are more "dry" so to speak and thinner strings get swallowed by gain a little more in a pleasant way. It definitely effects chugs and whatnot. I have yet to order a balanced set but I'm going to and then see if it works for both tunings. I read the info for the balanced set and I think that's my best bet, plus the D'addario NYXL color for it is purple which is one of my favorite colors. How could it be wrong when it's so pretty?

View attachment 142454

Also Ernie Ball has this to say: https://blog.ernieball.com/strings/what-string-gauges-should-you-be-playing/
10-52 doesn't make sense for drop-D. It doesn't really make sense for anything... unless you're drop-tuning just the 3 bottom strings. 52 42 30 17 13 10? 42 & 30 are way too heavy for regular A & D. And in D standard or drop-C, the 17 13 10 would be too light.
If you like the usual 46 36 26 17 13 10 for E standard, then drop-D would just be swapping the 46 for a 52 (same tension in D as 46 has in E).
You can build custom sets with Stringjoy, and they have a tension calculator at Tension.stringjoy.com.
Curt Mangan also does custom sets, but you have to buy 4, unless you just buy singles.

Shask

Reaction score
My main guitars are Gibson scale and I float from Drop D to Drop C# depending on mood. I'm still working on trying to find the right strings as for years I just used thick strings because in my head "thick strings = thick sound". Also, most of my guitar life was just me being chug monkey, slinging the guitar super low, and just doing rhythm. Now that I'm doing more leads, my playing consists of more than chugs, and because of pinch harmonics I find that I'm easing up off heavy strings and trying to find a happy medium in terms of tension and sound. I've eased down to 10-52 but honestly I'm beginning to think that the balanced 11-50s will probably be what I need. I have noticed the characteristics of the tone have changed. Hard to describe but I feel like thicker strings are more "dry" so to speak and thinner strings get swallowed by gain a little more in a pleasant way. It definitely effects chugs and whatnot. I have yet to order a balanced set but I'm going to and then see if it works for both tunings. I read the info for the balanced set and I think that's my best bet, plus the D'addario NYXL color for it is purple which is one of my favorite colors. How could it be wrong when it's so pretty?

View attachment 142454

Also Ernie Ball has this to say: https://blog.ernieball.com/strings/what-string-gauges-should-you-be-playing/
I like 10-48 for D tuning. Sadly Daddario dont make that gauge though. They do make a 10.5 - 48, which is pretty close.

Shask

Reaction score
10-52 doesn't make sense for drop-D. It doesn't really make sense for anything... unless you're drop-tuning just the 3 bottom strings. 52 42 30 17 13 10? 42 & 30 are way too heavy for regular A & D. And in D standard or drop-C, the 17 13 10 would be too light.
If you like the usual 46 36 26 17 13 10 for E standard, then drop-D would just be swapping the 46 for a 52 (same tension in D as 46 has in E).
You can build custom sets with Stringjoy, and they have a tension calculator at Tension.stringjoy.com.
Curt Mangan also does custom sets, but you have to buy 4, unless you just buy singles.
I remember those Dunlop Kerry King strings came with 2 top strings, one was heavier for drop tuning the top string.

BabUShka

Reaction score
I use 11-54 for D and C# Standard (and Drop B) and 10.5-49 for everything else. I could do heavier gauge and lower tuning on the 6 string.

But when It comes to 7 string, for me - it's just not +1 string anymore, but a completely different dimension. Requires more technique, better guitars, pickups and amps imo. I can't stand the feeling of heavier gauge than 60, but I understand that people have very different taste and requirement when it comes to the 7th string with so many factors to think about.

Dayn

Reaction score
I use .058 for B, just because that's the standard that comes with my Winspear 9s. Except for my 10-string, which has a .056 for B at 29". I experimented with heavier gauges, but quickly settled on 9s (and used 8s at one point).

The frustrating thing is that the longer you go, whilst you have more tension, the length makes it more flexible increasing the amplitude making it feel floppier, needing a larger string. It's compromises all the way down. Best to stick with what feels nice and forget about it.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
I use 11-54 for D and C# Standard (and Drop B) and 10.5-49 for everything else. I could do heavier gauge and lower tuning on the 6 string.

But when It comes to 7 string, for me - it's just not +1 string anymore, but a completely different dimension. Requires more technique, better guitars, pickups and amps imo. I can't stand the feeling of heavier gauge than 60, but I understand that people have very different taste and requirement when it comes to the 7th string with so many factors to think about.
Why do you believe this to be the case, compared to a 6-string guitar in an equally low tuning?

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
10-52 works for so many things, am I in the unpopular opinion thread :lol:

Roadsterjosh

Reaction score
I use 10-52 for Eb standard, D standard, and Drop C. I have found that the compromise of tension/tone to be in perfect balance with these. If I'm going to C standard or anything below I prefer a little more tension across the board. 10-59 for my 7 strings for both standard and drop A. All of my guitars are 25.5 scale so the switch from 6 to 7 feels the same.
It's all personal taste either way

Reaction score
52s work just fine for me in drop D. I haven't used 40-anything sinceI was new to guitar. I liked fighting the strings and my technique didn't really require anything other than stiff strings. As I've started to do more I've eased up a bit.

Ultimately it just boils down to what feels and sounds good. The only thing that makes sense is what works for you. I never really paid attention to what other people use but apparently the 10-52 set is rather popular for drop D if research has taught me anything.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I broke two 46 E’s on my then brand new lp studio so the main store guy handed me 10-52 and said “this should fix it” (80m round trip to said store, keep in mind). Ive used 10-52 from 2004ish to 2020 :lol:

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I settled on a custom 10-52 set for drop C (10-13.5-17-26-34-52) and use it for 4 (soon to be 5) different guitars. It's perfect for 25.5 or 25-25.5". It's probably a bit too light for my les paul, but I don't don't play it that much and it's fine.

BabUShka

Reaction score
Why do you believe this to be the case, compared to a 6-string guitar in an equally low tuning?

Not sure about this one. I feel like I'm constantly fighting against the boomy low end and muddiness with the 7's I've owned, while everyone else sounds brutal and awesome 😅

DECEMBER

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
52s work just fine for me in drop D. I haven't used 40-anything sinceI was new to guitar. I liked fighting the strings and my technique didn't really require anything other than stiff strings. As I've started to do more I've eased up a bit.

Ultimately it just boils down to what feels and sounds good. The only thing that makes sense is what works for you. I never really paid attention to what other people use but apparently the 10-52 set is rather popular for drop D if research has taught me anything.
The 52 is perfect for the D, same tension as a 46 in E. But the 42 and 30 are way too thick for A and d. Only the E is changing to D, so why do the A & d strings need to be heavier? If you're dropping to D standard, the 52 42 30 make sense, but the 17 13 10 will be too light.
It's surprising that there aren't any drop-D sets (regular 10-46 and 9-42 but with a 52 instead of the 46 and a 48 instead of the 42). People settle for the 10-52 set because it's the closet you can get without having to make sets from singles, but there's really no need for the 42 & 30. I like my strings heavy and tune down to A=432Hz (about 1/3 of one semitone) and the 42 & 30 are still way too stiff for me at A & d. The 4 other strings have 15-17 lbs of tension each, the 42 & 30 have 25-26 lbs each. There's about 17 lbs more tension on the bass side, which can cause the neck to warp over time.
Screenshot_20240422_133852_Chrome.png
Calculator at tension.stringjoy.com

Reaction score
The 52 is perfect for the D, same tension as a 46 in E. But the 42 and 30 are way too thick for A and d. Only the E is changing to D, so why do the A & d strings need to be heavier? If you're dropping to D standard, the 52 42 30 make sense, but the 17 13 10 will be too light.
It's surprising that there aren't any drop-D sets (regular 10-46 and 9-42 but with a 52 instead of the 46 and a 48 instead of the 42). People settle for the 10-52 set because it's the closet you can get without having to make sets from singles, but there's really no need for the 42 & 30. I like my strings heavy and tune down to A=432Hz (about 1/3 of one semitone) and the 42 & 30 are still way too stiff for me at A & d. The 4 other strings have 15-17 lbs of tension each, the 42 & 30 have 25-26 lbs each. There's about 17 lbs more tension on the bass side, which can cause the neck to warp over time.
View attachment 142541
Calculator at tension.stringjoy.com
The math really doesn't matter. Normal people don't pull up calculators for strings. They buy a set, try it, decide whether or not to stick with it and go from there.

It's just music.

DECEMBER

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The math really doesn't matter. Normal people don't pull up calculators for strings. They buy a set, try it, decide whether or not to stick with it and go from there.

It's just music.
I'm talking about the feel. 42 & 30 for A & d feel way too stiff. I pulled up the calculator to show just how unbalanced they make it. Lots of "normal" people use tension calculators, and if you're smart, you should, because unbalanced tension will warp your neck and ruin your guitar.
Music IS math, and geometry.

Reaction score
I'm talking about the feel. 42 & 30 for A & d feel way too stiff. I pulled up the calculator to show just how unbalanced they make it. Lots of "normal" people use tension calculators, and if you're smart, you should, because unbalanced tension will warp your neck and ruin your guitar.
Feel is subjective. You don't need a calculator to figure out if something feels right or not. I'm not likely to consult a calculator to tell me what my hands and ears should be telling me. Sure it helps to be precise but, I don't really care that much.

I've never had any guitar suffer from neck warp or be ruined because I didn't put the right strings on it. I also don't know anyone else personally who's had that issue. I totally get what you're saying....but it's just a guitar. If my guitar explodes because I put a 10-52 set on for drop D then I'll just buy another one.

I get what you're saying and I'm not disputing it...I just don't care and it seems to have worked for me thus far. Just try some strings sets and see what you like, then set up the guitar accordingly.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Show me all the warped necks.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
....or am I just growing old

IDK man I've been having RIDICULOUS fun going from a 60 to 54 on low B. It's much tighter, but somehow chunkier? Like the bass weight is there but the sub-bass woofiness is gone.
And its SO much easier to play, this is probably just me being "I'm old now and I'm not going to work as hard as I used to when I was 20"

Anyone else dropped to crazy light gauges for low tunings lately?
Weren't Meshuggah using 52 on Bb early in their career or something? Sounds great.