54 gauge for a low B, am I finally losing it...

• Thread starter Legion
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DECEMBER

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Feel is subjective. You don't need a calculator to figure out if something feels right or not. I'm not likely to consult a calculator to tell me what my hands and ears should be telling me. Sure it helps to be precise but, I don't really care that much.

I've never had any guitar suffer from neck warp or be ruined because I didn't put the right strings on it. I also don't know anyone else personally who's had that issue. I totally get what you're saying....but it's just a guitar. If my guitar explodes because I put a 10-52 set on for drop D then I'll just buy another one.

I get what you're saying and I'm not disputing it...I just don't care and it seems to have worked for me thus far. Just try some strings sets and see what you like, then set up the guitar accordingly.
I just said that they feel way too stiff. Has nothing to do with the calculator. I just showed that to show how much more tension is on those two strings. They felt wrong before I used the calculator.
I don't know about you, but I don't have another $1000 to throw on a guitar because I neglected the one I have. Warped necks definitely happen.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I just said that they feel way too stiff. Has nothing to do with the calculator. I just showed that to show how much more tension is on those two strings. They felt wrong before I used the calculator.
I don't know about you, but I don't have another $1000 to throw on a guitar because I neglected the one I have. Warped necks definitely happen.
If my guitar bursts into flames, explodes, and kills me and everyone in the neighborhood because 1 or 2 strings were too thick, then so be it. That's the lord's way of telling me it's my time

DECEMBER

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Show me all the warped necks.
As if I take a screenshot of every post I see about one... Because I've been waiting for someone to ask me this...
I have an LTD Viper baritone with a warped neck, it never gets played, can't get rid of the fret buzz on both sides of the fretboard. It's either buzzing on the bass side or the treble side, depending where the truss rod is.
But the two I play every day are fine because they've always had balanced tension.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
As if I take a screenshot of every post I see about one... Because I've been waiting for someone to ask me this...
I have an LTD Viper baritone with a warped neck, it never gets played, can't get rid of the fret buzz on both sides of the fretboard. It's either buzzing on the bass side or the treble side, depending where the truss rod is.
But the two I play every day are fine because they've always had balanced tension.
Ive been on forums daily since 2006 and havent seen posts about string gauges warping necks after this long…

Warped neck threads have generally been about poor build quality because thats how the guitars arrived.

DestroyMankind

Reaction score
10-52 works for so many things, am I in the unpopular opinion thread :lol:
I have a set of 10-52 on my ltd eclipse in b standard. It works for me. Pretty sure Entombed used 10-46 in b standard for left hand path.

AngstRiddenDreams

Filthy Casual
Reaction score
I have a set of 10-52 on my ltd eclipse in b standard. It works for me. Pretty sure Entombed used 10-46 in b standard for left hand path.
That's insane, but also could totally contribute to their sound with the HM-2. There's something about the attack and pitch warble of thinner strings that sounds extra nasty when you pick hard.
I've always felt the 52-10 sets in Drop C were fairly light for how common it is, like playing 9's in Drop D.