6505 plus 112 or 6260 with v30's?

Miss D Corona

Reaction score
I'l start with my budget, I have around £450 to spend and I wan't to buy new gear

Basically I wan't an amp that can cover from Machine Head to Van Halen, having a crappy clean channel doesn't bother me, I just need something with enough tightness and clarity to cover all my bases

-The 6505 plus 112 has a built in sheffield speaker, which I have heard bad things about, how much gain is available on the crunch channel? other than that it seems to be exactly what I need, and I should be able to run it at bedroom levels. Also Peavey being Peavey it should be built to last

-The Bugera 6260 would be combined with a 2x12 V30 cabinet, and only having one EQ doesn't bother me. My main concerns with the Bugera are its reliability and how close it sounds to a real 6505. Also whether I could turn it down to bedroom volume and still keep the gain. On the plus side I would always be able to attach a different head to the cabinet.

So I guess my question is which would you buy and why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Albionic

First of the magi
Reaction score
hmmmm that's a tough one. Are you playing in a band?

it depends a bit on how good the 2x12 is what make is it?

if it was my choice i think i'd go with the peavey combo if i was playing in a bedroom
and the bugera head/speaker if i was in a band/live situation as the 2x12 will project sound better/further than the combo's single speaker.

You could get an extension cab for the peavey later i suppose but that then is more gear to lug about and i think you'd want to get a head and speaker rig eventually anyway. if you get the bugera setup if you wish to change amps you already have a speaker

this all assumes that you like the sound of both amps equally and i hear that bugera are pretty damn close to peavey in the sound department.

Miss D Corona

Reaction score

Albionic

First of the magi
Reaction score
The Harley beneton certainly looks nice. But the power rating is way too low for the bugera head. For a valve amp I'd try to have a rating of double the power output of the head and I think those heads are 120 watts.
For that money you can't go wrong with the peavey use the cash you save for an overdrive pedal for a clean boost ,perhaps a digitech bad monkey would be a good start ,to tighten to the bottom end you should be more than happy.

beneharris

Reaction score
i have the 6505+ combo, and i loaded it up with a v30, and took the sheffield out. the stock speaker isn't horrible, it is just very fizzy, and the v30 eliminates a lot of that. definitely turns it into a completely different amp when you throw it in, its great.

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a 1-12 combo as well. Of all the combo amps on the market the 6505+ would be the only one I would buy because it sounds so similar to the 6505+ head. That or an old 80's Peavey combo amp with tubes.

Garlic Owl

Reaction score

this isn't a 6260, but it still gives you a good idea what kind of tone it could get you.

DethRay

Reaction score
I like my 6505+ 112, sound nasty through my buddies v30 Laney cab. Loud as fuck to. Also has a direct out for recording. Try swapping speakers if you want, the sheffield is a little fuzzy. However I was able to get a good djent sound with only a ts-9 and ISP.

matisq

Reaction score
The Harley beneton certainly looks nice. But the power rating is way too low for the bugera head. For a valve amp I'd try to have a rating of double the power output of the head and I think those heads are 120 watts

So you are saying that all those guys who plays 100W/120W via 2x12 V30 are wrong? :scratch:

crush_taylor

Reaction score
So you are saying that all those guys who plays 100W/120W via 2x12 V30 are wrong? :scratch:
I'm definitely no expert, but if I remember hearing right, the wattage gets split up equally between each speaker. essentially a 120 watt head produces 60 watts per speaker, so really a 120 watt head is a perfect match for a 2x12 loaded with V30s... so yes, you're sarcasm is indeed justified :lol:

Albionic

First of the magi
Reaction score
I'm definitely no expert, but if I remember hearing right, the wattage gets split up equally between each speaker. essentially a 120 watt head produces 60 watts per speaker, so really a 120 watt head is a perfect match for a 2x12 loaded with V30s... so yes, you're sarcasm is indeed justified :lol:

in theory you are right but valve amps produce peaks thst you don't get from tranny amps i used to play a 50watt marshall valve head through two 75 watt g12's and it was capable of blowing those speakers i know from experiance. if you never plan to gig then i guess matching a 120watt valve head with a 120watt speaker is ok but i wouldn' feel comfortable cranking that setup on a regular basis.

remember a valve amp is about 3 x louder than the same rated tranny amp