'68 Fender Bassman Head tube upgrade

• Thread starter heyimdallas
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

heyimdallas

Reaction score
There's a chance one of these will be rolling my way soon for dirt cheap (the dude is unaware that it's just in need of a tube change. Oh well, he's stupid and that's only making my life easier haha). The only problem is I, like most of you, would REALLY prefer a high gain amp.
I'm not even going to begin to assume it would be as easy as dropping some Engl tubes in it and going about my business, but would there be any way to get it closer to a high gain tone such as a Bogner Uberschall or something? Or should I just pass on this?
I guess if I ever wanted to sell it I could throw some stocks back in it so Fender guys wouldn't think I ruined it haha.

I'm pretty damn nooby when it comes to tube amps, so I'd really appreciate some detailed insight into the subject of replacing tubes :D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My dad has two Bassmans a 53' single and a 63' quad. I'll tell you right now, short of making some significant mods to the amp you're not going to make this a high gain amp. It's just not made for it.

I say restore it, then sell it and pick up an amp better suited to what you want.

Tubes aren't magic, they're but a small part of what makes an amp sound the way it does.

highlordmugfug

themuthaphukkindeath
Reaction score
I'd like to have the fender actually. :)

Replacing tubes is just a matter of finding out what tubes to get, resetting/checking the bias, and putting the tubes in.
EDIT: Yeah, restore it and sell it for a reasonable price. :D

heyimdallas

Reaction score
Haha, I was sort of thinking I'd turn it for a profit, considering it's in AMAZING condition, looks like it's never even seen the light of day and all I'd have to do is pop some new tubes in it.

I'm just so very not savvy when it comes to all those caps and tubes and wires. I prefer working with wood haha. My strong suit is certainly guitars over amps :b.

Thank you two very much for the insight!

signalgrey

Ambiente Savante
Reaction score
Haha, I was sort of thinking I'd turn it for a profit, considering it's in AMAZING condition, looks like it's never even seen the light of day and all I'd have to do is pop some new tubes in it.

I'm just so very not savvy when it comes to all those caps and tubes and wires. I prefer working with wood haha. My strong suit is certainly guitars over amps :b.

Thank you two very much for the insight!

make sure its not a reissue or something as well.
There is literally no way that thing is going to get even close to an Uberschall for so many reasons.

But if it is an original, buy it, restore it and either use it as a great Clean/Overdrive amp and then have a Single Channel Head for the Distorted stuff.

Id flip it and re-purpose that money to get what you want.

I will add that the Vox AC30 i bought on impulse turned out to be one of the best things ive ever done for my musical life. tonally, artistically, gear wise etc... really opened my eyes.

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
Do yourself a favour and do NOT mod it to get more gain! If its original, unmodified, and in said condition...you can get A) a classic amp that made history, and B) something you can sell later without losing money, or even with some profit (I'm no Bassman-expert, but i think 68 models are not that rare/wanted, but still its an vintage Bassman, so...).

You wont get a damn dollar if you mod that thing.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, I was bored and did a little searching, apparently those old Silverface heads don't really catch much on the used market. They're nowhere near as desirable as the Tweeds and Combos. Apparently they have a different circuit.

If it's a Silverface head, you'll probably get $500 if you sell it with new tubes. Honestly, taking that into consideration, I'd pass on it.

signalgrey

Ambiente Savante
Reaction score
ah yes.. forgot about that. Silverface years are the tough ones to get rid of. some swear by them though, others are duds. test it out if you can.

i had a lovely semi-rare Fender Quad-Reverb amp that was a '76 but still a silverface. i got shit for it on the market despite my best efforts. i wish i had kept it actually.

MrMcSick

Derp
Reaction score
I had an old silverface bassman. Wish I never sold it. Just throw a TS9 infront of it and there goes your high gain. Or get a pod xt/x3/hd and run it into it. Nothing like that oldschool fender clean. My buddy has a Bassman 70 he runs a pedal board into and it slaysssss!

Necky379

Reaction score
i had one of those. they're great amps, if you can keep it as an addition to a high gain amp you should. just retube it with some high quality glass and leave it original unless it needs caps. they respond very well to pedals (not saying a distortion pedal is going to give you uberschall tones), they do amazing things with chorus, reverb etc. as far as worth goes the silverface ones aren't worth as much as black and blond but if you get a good one you won't be disappointed in the least.

bottom line as everyone else said, if you want high gain look elsewhere, but you're getting a good amp for what it is.