7 string neck relief help

• Thread starter MaxAidingAres
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxAidingAres

Reaction score
Hello for some reason MOST 7 strings that I come across for setups and other miscellaneous work. Have awkward neck relief. what I mean is typically the treble side will be straighter than the bass side of the neck. its almost as if the neck is warped but with no strings on its more or less perfect. they don't play like a warped neck meaning typical warped neck buzz but its just weird. I just want to know if anyone else is noticing things like this with their 7 strings etc? thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Floppystrings

banned
Reaction score
This may be a case of people putting heavy wound strings on the bass side with normal tension regular sized strings.

I try to build my string sets as balanced (uniform tension) with the lowest string being a couple sizes larger.

MaxAidingAres

Reaction score
I figured it was the string tension but ill slap a set of ten on a 6 string but set same tension on a 7 and boom of relief. Doesnt make sense to me. Not end of the world but just weird haha.

Petar Bogdanov

Reaction score
It's partly a function of the action difference between the low side and the high side. The low strings have more leverage, and they have higher tension to begin with. The high B in particular has no tension compared to the rest.

If your treble side has enough relief and the bass side not enough, just tighten it a little more. It will not go into backbow on one side and front bow on the other.