7 string pickup for clean tones

• Thread starter Troop
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Troop

Reaction score
I’m wondering what’s out there as far as 7 string bridge humbuckers that approximate single coils, or at least sound good clean (I’m not planning on playing much distorted stuff with this particular guitar.) complicating factor is that this pickup would be used in tandem with a fernandes sustainer unit, and I gather not all pickups will play nice with those. So maybe way too specific a question, but any info would be good.

Bearitone

Reaction score
I’ve heard the BKP Impulse neck pickup sounds very single coil-like

FitRocker33

My tone is tighter than my hamstrings
Reaction score
How about checking out the bare knuckle HP90 line? They are humbucker sized p90 style pickups and they come in 7 string variants.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Troop

Reaction score
I wonder how/if a p90 style pup would work with the sustainer.....

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
This is why it's a travesty that DiMarzio hasn't made a Humbucker from Hell 7 string.

Also maybe get an DiMarzio Ionizer and keep the two coil tap wires split? When I tried a TAM10 briefly, the coil tap sounded pretty sweet. There's also the Eclipse, since both Tosin and Javier need to rely heavily on split tones.

MIL8

Reaction score
I have a PAF7 in the bridge of my 540s7, I think it works very well with the 2 single coils on that guitar. It has nice cleans but isn't thin sounding and it does gain well too.

Troop

Reaction score
Yeah, so what I’m planning on doing is installing a fernandes sustainer in my schecter banshee. One thing I’m enjoying doing with the sustainer is letting it add some texture (in normal or harmonic mode) to picked lines; for this the bridge pickup has to be the active one, but I’d like a sound that isn’t too bright/thin. I wish I knew what pup is in the fernandes now - might make it easier to compare with other potential options, but I can’t find that info. I’m going to a tech this weekend though to talk about the swap, and maybe he’ll have some suggestions about a new pickup as well.

Troop

Reaction score
This is why it's a travesty that DiMarzio hasn't made a Humbucker from Hell 7 string.

Also maybe get an DiMarzio Ionizer and keep the two coil tap wires split? When I tried a TAM10 briefly, the coil tap sounded pretty sweet. There's also the Eclipse, since both Tosin and Javier need to rely heavily on split tones.

Something like that could be a good option; but I don’t know how it would play with the sustainer....

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
The Dimarzio PAF7 is a great option for cleans as well as all-around versatility. I've got a pair of Ionizers that I really like for cleans, but the bridge by itself is best for cleans wired in parallel, IMO.

You might also look at the Duncan '59 bridge model or some of the more classic voiced BKPs like the Mule or Emerald

larsmul

Reaction score
Lace X-bar can't be beaten for clean tone ; very natural broad sound that let the wood come through , if the luthery is good .
I have both x-bar in bridge and neck and it does everything with articulation , clarity and broad+even EQ .