7 String Recommendation

• Thread starter jeff7311
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jeff7311

Reaction score
Hi everyone, first post!

I'm in the market for a 7 string guitar. I can spend a bit, but don't want to break the bank. Some basic criteria.

I've narrowed down my choices to the following, but am not limited to them if you have another recommendation.

I prefer it to not have a trem (as I'll probably be doing some Drop A) and have good, higher output pick ups, but neither is a deal breaker for me. (i.e. I can block the trem if I need to, and can replace pick ups easily)

I'd be interested if anyone has experience with these models, general recommendations or can answer the questions I have.

Schecter
  • Keith Merrow - KM 7
  • Hellraiser Hybrid 7

Really looking hard at both of these as they seem really good. I'd be interested in anyone's experience between the two and which you would recommend. (I know they have different pick ups, etc.) I am leaning towards the Hellraiser only because I've heard really great things about the EMG 57/66.

Jackson
  • Jackson Dinky Pro 7 String DKA7
  • Jackson SLATHX-M 3-7

There is a price difference between the Pro and the SLATHX, and I'm not sure if it is warranted or not. I'd be interested if anyone has experience with either or both.

Ibanez
  • Ibanez Prestige RG752FX

I've heard great things about Ibanez 7 strings. The pick ups may or may not need to be changed as it looks like these are more vintage voiced. I also believe that most of the FX don't have a trem which would be preferred by me.

ESP
  • ESP LTD H7 40th Anniversary 7-string (I’ve seen the Eclipse version of this too)
  • ESP LTD H-1007

Thanks,
Jeff

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

punisher911

blah blah blah
Reaction score
I'm a fan of everything about the KM7. Had one, didn't keep it only because I couldn't find a use for a 7 in what I was doing. The playability, weight, and overall feel of it was great though. Clear pickups were great too. I've read a few people changed them out and were even more pleased with it. I do still have the KM6 though, it that is any testament to the KM series of guitars.

nistley

Reaction score
Any reason no Ibanez in the race? Looking at your models, could be stock pickups?
I would get this, as the neck, quality (prestige) and natural sound is the best I know:
Ibanez Prestige RG752FX - Subterranean Purple | Sweetwater.com

I have RGIT27FE myself, because I really wanted the clean wood, the neck radius is unfortunately a bit more round. It's routed for active pickups, so I also got EMG 66/57-7. Quite happy with it overall. The sustain of neckthrough and those pickups is crazy. The ebony fretboard is very smooth.
Ibanez Iron label RG Series RGIT27FE 7-String Electric Guitar Flat Natural | Musician's Friend

Now I REALLY want Boden OS 7, even though I quite like the RGIL... I've been contemplating selling.

jeff7311

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Yes Nistley, I had the RG752 in there, I had been looking at the FX which seems really nice and doesn't have a trem. (Edited to call out the FX) I may need to incur some additional cost in replacing the pick ups, as I think the DM PAF 7s are more vintage voiced than I'd like. It's a little odd that Ibanez went with lower output pick ups in these guitars.

Jujex

Reaction score
I have experience with the DKA7 and my buddy is getting one soon. I have not tried it against the Prestige you mentioned but it blew away the Iron Label that was in it's range both in sound and the playability, I have played the Hybrid and LTDs as well but not a KM7 and the Jackson is superior to those as well.
The only Issue is that it comes in that finish alone.

So I think you should narrow down your choices to those 3. Also consider Chris Broderick Pro 7 if the tremolo is not an issue.

jeff7311

Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback! The Jackson's are under heavy consideration too, especially the Pro. Sounds like you liked them a lot. The Broderick looks awesome too, and maybe if I can find a good deal I'll just block the trem.

A-Branger

Reaction score
[*]ESP LTD H7 40th Anniversary 7-string (I’ve seen the Eclipse version of this too)
[*]ESP LTD H-1007
[/LIST]

you can also consider the LTD ZH-7 Its the whitechappel guy signature. Exactly the same as the 40 anniversary, same color scheme and shape with small differences, like pointy headstock shape, block inlays, and dimarzio d-activators. For the looks I like it better, problem is well, try to find it, no-one seems to stock them, unless you order one.

Also you could try the LTD AW-7, one of the other whitechappel guys signature. Few ppl here seems to like it. D-activators, ebony board and hitpshot bridge. And for what it seems its in a good price range too, and way easier to find, even as a good second hand cheap. I tryed one at my local store and I was happy with it

nistley

Reaction score
I have experience with the DKA7 and my buddy is getting one soon. I have not tried it against the Prestige you mentioned but it blew away the Iron Label that was in it's range both in sound and the playability.

Do you know the neck thickness on DKA7? I can't find it, but based on reviews its thicker than current Ibanez which is 19/21mm on both Ibanezes I mentioned. Also, the neckthrough on RGIT has NO neck heel, which to me was quite a nice surprise. I don't see how DKA7 can be easier playable, but I really want to try one now.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
Ibanez
  • Ibanez Prestige RG752FX

I've heard great things about Ibanez 7 strings. The pick ups may or may not need to be changed as it looks like these are more vintage voiced. I also believe that most of the FX don't have a trem which would be preferred by me.

FX is a suffix used on Ibanez Prestige guitars to indicate the guitar has a "fixed bridge." Ibanez guitar names look like serial numbers but understanding them soon becomes second nature.

I recommend the Ibanez RG752WMFXOL . :yesway:

Jujex

Reaction score
Do you know the neck thickness on DKA7? I can't find it, but based on reviews its thicker than current Ibanez which is 19/21mm on both Ibanezes I mentioned. Also, the neckthrough on RGIT has NO neck heel, which to me was quite a nice surprise. I don't see how DKA7 can be easier playable, but I really want to try one now.

The neck is thicker you're right but by easier playability I am referring to the quality of the fretwork, action and tension. In those areas it was obvious the quality is higher not to mention it sounds fuller, just by their tones through a high gain amp you could tell the difference in quality. I'm sure the Prestige is comparable but the Iron Label(The blue quilt top one if you wonder which one) was not.

Also the neck on the Chris Broderick was a bit rounder than the DKA7 but even so I preferd it a bit more to the DKA( but they're close). I think the Broderick Pro series were voted as Guitar World's top guitars for last year. You could see why.