7 string with good access for lead playing

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

I_infect

Reaction score
1. Dean RC7x.
2. RGD2127z.

Effortless 24th fret access on both. If those are out of your budget, Any standard RG body or Agile & has pretty decent access. Schecter(even though I love Schecter) does not have great access, except maybe for a 007.

Soopahmahn

Tu ne cede malis
Reaction score
Flying Vs have terrible upper fret access in my opinion man. Sure there's nothing blocking the side of your hand from sliding up, but the body comes onto the neck about 5-6 frets from the last fret. As you get to the higher registers you suddenly have to reach around part of the body to fret notes. Feels very uncomfortable to me :noway:

+1. V's suck for high fret access.

That being said, I haven't played a 7-string with bad fret access yet.

Snoop

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Whats the access like for ESP 7 stringers anyone use those?

I have ESP stef-7 and it's very easy to play even on 20+ fret for me
very comfortable guitar in all ways. You can buy a cheaper LTD version. Will not sound so good, but shape will be the same and so the access to frets.

TheMasterplan

Creator//Destroyer
Reaction score
Most super-strats will have fine upper-fret access. You'll want to stay away from *most* V's and Single-Cuts or at least if you do pay close attention to the heel. It took me a while to find a comfortable way to play quicker leads/solos that incorporated upper frets on my LP7. And depending on the heel on a V, it may be a bitch to reach anything past 17-19.

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
Absolutely nothing beats the GKG Turbulence's in terms of upper fret access, plain and simple. It is worth mentioning that the shape isn't exactly everyone's cup of tea, and the extra frets don't appeal to everyone. In terms of superstrats, I have to hand it to my KxK so far, as it is absolutely amazing. Ibbies also fare quite well in this aspect, with the advantage of being cost-effective alternatives.

heineken_fretwalker

Team Ibanez
Reaction score
Not really, plenty of lead player use them. To each their own, would be a good way to look at it.

Not all players have the same wants and needs.

Definitely, and generally speaking, the reason they tend to be considered "rhythm player" guitars is that fat neck that is better suited for riffage as opposed to shred.

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
That is quite subjective, as I love playing leads on my Turbulence R729 and Hellraiser, and they both have thicker necks than the typical wizard-like neck profile. It's a matter of trying things and seeing what works best, honestly.

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
That is quite subjective, as I love playing leads on my Turbulence R729 and Hellraiser, and they both have thicker necks than the typical wizard-like neck profile. It's a matter of trying things and seeing what works best, honestly.

Absolutely - you can generalise as to the suitability of a profile and size but there's always going to be exceptions. Personally the thicker necks are far more comfortable for either and don't lead to painful hand cramp which I did experience with Wizard-style necks.

+1 on the GKG by the way. If you can get over the oddities of design they're superb.