7420 wiring/vol knob-pot help?

• Thread starter Colton165
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Colton165

Resident burnout.
Reaction score
I need help diagnosing a problem. My 10-11 year old Ibanez RG7420 has recently been acting up on the vol knob. Sometimes when it is set to 'full' it isnt really fullk and i have to turn it down a tiny bit in order to get fuller volume.

With this problem, I can't use swells. I checked the cavity in the back for broken/loose solder joints and didnt really see any.

Anyone have any tips on what is going on? Do I need to get new volume pots or something? New 5-way? resolder everything and possible shield?

Any help at all is appreciated, and sorry for being an electronics tech noob.

Pics up when I get home and have time to take them, upload, etc.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Try cleaning the electronics with some Deoxit first. Then look into replacing the offending pot.

Colton165

Resident burnout.
Reaction score
what should i clean? the 5-way? pots? all of the cavity?

sorry im new at this. the tone pot has no effect on the vol sucking, its the volume knobs position. it is brushed black metal, but if it were numbered, at '10' it sounds like a '5' and scooped. at '9' it sounds fine, like a '10'.

if i attempt to swell, it goes up and down and up then cuts out then up the down in that order.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
what should i clean? the 5-way? pots? all of the cavity?

sorry im new at this. the tone pot has no effect on the vol sucking, its the volume knobs position. it is brushed black metal, but if it were numbered, at '10' it sounds like a '5' and scooped. at '9' it sounds fine, like a '10'.

if i attempt to swell, it goes up and down and up then cuts out then up the down in that order.

Sounds like the problem is solely with your volume pot. The switch wouldn't cause the "variable" volume issue you're having, and as you said, the tone has no effect on the issue. Though, it would probably be good to spray a little into both pots, they are 10+ years old.

Colton165

Resident burnout.
Reaction score
Sounds like the problem is solely with your volume pot. The switch wouldn't cause the "variable" volume issue you're having, and as you said, the tone has no effect on the issue. Though, it would probably be good to spray a little into both pots, they are 10+ years old.
im thinking of just buying a new vol pot [500k neccesary if i plan on getting either BKP or dimarzio in the future?] AND tone pot and getting a tech to replace and wire them both up as well as clean everything in the cavity.

would that be worth it? and could you please give me an estimate of what this might possibly run you at your local shop i know it differs town to town state to state etc.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
im thinking of just buying a new vol pot [500k neccesary if i plan on getting either BKP or dimarzio in the future?] AND tone pot and getting a tech to replace and wire them both up as well as clean everything in the cavity.

would that be worth it? and could you please give me an estimate of what this might possibly run you at your local shop i know it differs town to town state to state etc.

Excluding the cost of pickups, it'll probably run you about $10 for parts and $50 for labor.

Though, a $4 spray can of Deoxit that you can get at just about every hardware and electronics shop in the developed world could potential fix your problem. At worst, it's good to have a can around for when you need to clean your guitars electronics, which should be done from time to time.

Colton165

Resident burnout.
Reaction score
ill try that at first logically. i keep fretboard oil around so i guess this is just another monkey wrench im gonna need to keep around even if it doesnt fix it itll sound even better afterward im sure. thanks for the advice