7S guitar in a budget

mikezausky

Reaction score
What's up guys!

I tried to search this on this forum already, but there does not seem to exist a search tool...:scratch:

So, I'm in a budget of about 1000-1200 dolletas (it's flexible though) and I'm searching for a great 7S guitar for the value.

Don't care for brand (actually, I prefer not known brands = better product for less)

What are your recomendations? I've searched a lot already, found some:

S7G
Schecter (own one HR C1:hbang:)
Agile (people talk a lot about it, don't know anything about it. Also, they're strangely cheap, the most expensive is <1000! Other brands have 3000+)

Any other brands that are interesting? I want a good guitar, that one that will last a long time. Don't like spending money to sell again.

Also, how different is the feel of a 7S? Like, can you still play the usual 6S stuff without much effort? (never touched a 7S, sry for the noobness)

Thaaank You!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

caskettheclown

Sexytime!
Reaction score
Your budget is in American Dollars right?

Willing to go used?

Buy online?

Trem or no trem?

active or passive pickups?

Do you like big necks or slim necks?
We just need to get a better understanding of what you are looking for is all.

Agile's are extremely good but from my understanding have a quality control issue from time to time but have amazing customer service. Also (from my understanding) is they are the best for the price but around the high end stuff you can do better , maybe someone else can comment on that.

My recommendation would be for carvin but wait for others to respond as well. I've never heard a bad thing about carvins, i've played many carvins and loved every one of them. They play beautifully are great for the price as well. Though many go custom with carvin so that may be a tad out of your price range.

You've never played a seven string? Its honestly a little different to play but within a few hours you'll easily get used to it. Six strings will feel like toys most likely. You can play six string tunes with little difficulty or just as easy.

Also I hate to be this guy to try and dissuade you but are you sure you'll stick with a seven string? A lot of people get one and get bored of it and swap to six strings again but a lot of people love them. My advice would be to buy a cheaper one if you aren't sure you'll stick with it that way you won't want to sell or trade for a six string.

Maddiparker

Reaction score
I just brought my self a ltd sc-207 second hand because it will be my first seven string. I agree with caskettheclown, it could be easier to go cheaper in case you don't like the feel. But if you are 100% hooked on getting one I would also agree with agile, from what I've heard they seem to be making a good name for them selves and yeah, $1000 for the top of the range is good! I would also probably say anything Ltd/ Esp. There 7 strings with your budget will get you a nice, reliable guitar!

Blood Tempest

Eschaton Mémoire
Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to the boards! :wavey:

I can honestly say, that in that price range (or even less), you can't go wrong by purchasing an Agile. Great looking and sounding guitars in various color options, scale lengths, etc. Also, the custom shop is still open for a limited time (to deliver guitars by May 2014). You specify the body style, finish, number of strings, pickups, scale length, and so on. Your specs on the Agile of your choice. This would also be a great option for you; IF you're willing to wait. If not, many of the ready to order options are fantastic. Take a look!

Rondo Music Electric Guitars | Page 1 of 2

oracles

Reaction score
If you're outside of the US, I absolutely would NOT recommend an Agile, because you lose the option of returning it should you get a lemon.

In order for us to help you, we need to know more about what it is you want from a 7. For example, fixed bridge or trem? Active or passive pickups? Do you have a body wood preference? What body shape do you want? Do you want bolt on, neck through or set neck construction? Can/will you go used? Without that information, it's hard for us to give you any sort of real advice.

CSProgGuy

Cliffton Smith
Reaction score
Agile is a good brand to start with in that budget! I've played a friend's Agile Interceptor 725 7 string before and after I patiently messed around with my amp settings, it sounded amazing even with the stock pickups! The one I played had a Floyd Rose floating tremolo just letting you know and my friend said it costed him nearly $400 for the guitar and case. It's worth looking into if you're interested.

LTD/ESP 7 strings are alright but I've had bad experiences with the ones that are way too cheap. They go out of tune very easily depending on the string gauge and tuners. Not to mention, the pick ups are just trash. But that's just how I feel about them. If you want an LTD/ESP 7 guitar, they can be hit and miss sometimes.

As far as Schecter goes, a Damien Elite 7 is an awesome 7 string to start with in your price range and I should know because it was my first 7 string! It has tight Grover tuners that'll keep your guitar in tune very well and the EMG pickups on it make the tones thick when on a distortion setting and bright tones when on a clean amp setting. Definitely worth a try.

Ibanez has a great line of 7 strings as well and most of them have nearly the same qualities as Schecter as far as tuners, pickups, etc. But their 7 strings can be pretty pricey at times. So just keep that in mind while looking around and hopefully you'll find what you're looking for ;)

mikezausky

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers guys!

Yeah, sorry or that, it is in american dollars hehe

If I can get a good deal why not going used right?

Yes, that is an important one. It is going to be an online buy, so I will probably not play the instrument (potential international shipping, so no return also)

Well, I prefer no trem. Have a HR C1 with FR (the original one) and it is just a pain in the butt to set up and I dont like spending money on luthiers.

For pickups, I have guitars with both passive and active humbuckers, but was thinking on going passive on this one. Dwhat do you guys think? Do active pickups give more response or handle the 7 strings better? Do passive sound floppy?

I guess neck width is not a problem, but I love longer necks. My Gibson is pretty short and the strings are waaay to slack (dont know if this is the right word)

Body shapes dont matter much to me, just dont want a coffin guitar or some crap like that

About the woods, the mahagony in my c1 is pretty awesome and I also like the maple in my gibson, so for me the combination of wood+pickups is what matters in reality. Just the wood does not influence much I guess.

For the fretboard I wanted to try an ebony in this one, cause I heard great things about those and from what I have heard, it suits me.

Again, the neck joint is not that relevant for me I guess. Dont have much experience on that to choose...

mikezausky

Reaction score
How much for a custom carvin (with good specs)? Just a generalidea. How much more than a production one?

The problem with ESP and LDT is that I have heard of many people with really bad production flaws in their guitars. Like, some obvious stuff (and those were not cheap guitars). So, as Im buying online, I dont feel comfortable with that. I guess it is also more brand than good guitar. No ESP than...

Any one heard about jackson 7 strings? Could be a used guitar. Cause I dont remember seeing them in the website.

Also I am pretty sure on buying a good guitar already.

That custom agile is really interesting. Any ideas on price range?

Schecter is a really good company, cheap and good. But recently has been in a process of expanding, so I am afraid it could have lost some of the quality. Anyone bought them recently?

Ibanez has maamy guitars, I get lost in their webpage. Could tyou guys tell me some models that are within my price? ($1000-1200)

And now I am curious, what is your main 7S guitar and what was the best you have ever played?

stevexc

Reaction score
How much for a custom carvin (with good specs)? Just a generalidea. How much more than a production one?

The problem with ESP and LDT is that I have heard of many people with really bad production flaws in their guitars. Like, some obvious stuff (and those were not cheap guitars). So, as Im buying online, I dont feel comfortable with that. I guess it is also more brand than good guitar. No ESP than...

Any one heard about jackson 7 strings? Could be a used guitar. Cause I dont remember seeing them in the website.

Also I am pretty sure on buying a good guitar already.

That custom agile is really interesting. Any ideas on price range?

Schecter is a really good company, cheap and good. But recently has been in a process of expanding, so I am afraid it could have lost some of the quality. Anyone bought them recently?

Ibanez has maamy guitars, I get lost in their webpage. Could tyou guys tell me some models that are within my price? ($1000-1200)

And now I am curious, what is your main 7S guitar and what was the best you have ever played?

I've played Jackson 7s (well, one) and wasn't super impressed. Well, I was, but the Ibanez I played (and subsequently bought) felt better.

I've got the RG827Z, which is out for you because of the trem. The Iron Label RGs are in your range though and there's a few without trems.

I've played some newer Schecters and they still play damn well. The Hellraiser C7 is gorgeous and plays nice, ditto for the Loomis.

I wouldn't worry too much about ESP/LTD QC... I haven't seen many issues with them, always remember that the people with issues tend to be the loudest. If one person out of a hundred gets an LTD with an issue, you can bet they'll be mentioning it every chance they get. Most online shops tend to be pretty good for taking returns or at very least not shipping out bad ones from what I've seen.

Custom Agiles (you can get them here) start at around $700 - 900 it looks like - bear in mind that the price when you add it to the cart is just a deposit, there's a second payment you have to make listed in the specs for that model (around $299 - 450).