8 String Dilemma

• Thread starter RockerAlex
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
:wallbash:

So here's the deal, I picked up a Schecter Hellraiser C-8 thinking it was good for the cash blah blah blah, etc etc etc. Turns out the scale length is far too tiny and it's giving me fret buzz headaches no matter what I do. (I COULD fix it by raising the action, but I want low action.)

So I've been reading about other 8s on the market and had almost settle on an Agile Interceptor until I read some horror stories about the Kahlers fucking up with low action, having to shim the neck at an angle and I just wonder, is it really worth all this trouble for a bigger scale length?

As for the RG2228, far far too expensive for me, so I've sort of ruled it out. It's a bit bog standard for me, but I do like the EMGs ... so that basically rules out the RGA8 as well.

Wat do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

celticelk

Reaction score
Buy a fixed-bridge Agile? Most of them don't come with Kahlers. You can always swap the pickups in it for EMGs. You could take the same approach with an RGA8, come to that. Or you could find someone willing to make an 8-string to your specs. There are simply not enough production model 8-strings yet to satisfy the many and varied requirements of the ERG community.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
That's a possiblity ... but I do like trems, and I realize an 8 string Floyd Rose would be a humongous pain in the ass and I would never want to go near one even if it did get designed, so I like the idea of a Kahler, I'm just wondering is it worth the hassle?

Are there any Agile Kahler users out there?

EDIT: Also, I always find I have headaches with Made In Korea guitars because they're usually mass produced shit ... is this the case with Agile?

InfinityAndThree

Reaction score
You do know your schecter is MIK too??

From what I've heared, with no personal experience, agiles are pretty good for the price quality wise.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
You do know your schecter is MIK too??

From what I've heared, with no personal experience, agiles are pretty good for the price quality wise.

I do know yes, and it really was shit. Wouldn't recommend their 8s to anyone, that's why I'm getting rid of it for another 8.

EDIT: How about going custom made? Where do I go to get a custom 8 string in the UK?

RockerAlex

Reaction score
bump
cartoons6.jpg
cartoons7.jpg
cartoons8.jpg

Thanks haha. :metal:

So Siggery has quoted me a nice price for a nice custom 8 string ... should I buy or run?

RockerAlex

Reaction score
I would just raise the action and get use to it...

Too late, it's refunded. The guitar was balls and defective on top of that ... I would never buy a Schecter 8 string, the scale is the wrong size among other things.

Just my 2 cents for you people out there in the market for an 8.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
In the other place where RockerAlex talked about his Schecter, The Official Agile ERG Thread, he kept raising the scale length as a problem, talking about the buzz and floppiness.

So guys, I was thinking of picking up an Agile 8 because of the extra scale length on those babies ... do you think I could achieve somewhat low action and no fret buzz with the bigger scale? Cause right now on my Schecter Hellraiser C-8 26.5 I can't ...

The difference between the 2 is literally only fret dots, scale length and $100 ... I've had problems with other 8s F# being far too floppy (26.5" scale), so I assume 28.625" is the way to go to fix that?

You kept talking about the problem being the scale length, so I noted...

Wow! I'm impressed that your .080 can flop like crazy with a tension of more than 18.5 pounds. I'd suspect the set-up and not the string tension....

I thought you agreed... but then you went right back...

It was more the buzzing giving me a headache ... I suspect it had uneven frets and I don't think it's worth the money to bother fixing. I'm not impressed by Schecter 8 strings at all ... the scale length is far too short.

What's up with that? :scratch:

I own three 25.5" 8-strings, all currently tuned EADGCFAD, and don't have the problems you're talking about. Two of them were tuned down to Bb0 for a few years, again with no problem.

I'm just suggesting thinking through where you think the problem lies, and about your own preferences. It's okay to like longer or shorter scale lengths, but to blame something on scale length (or on any other characteristic) instead of identifying the real source of your problem means you'll always be trying to fix the wrong thing.:2c:
Poor set-up =/= scale length defect.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
As I stated in other threads, the scale length was part of my problem, 4 different guitar techs explained to me that having low action across the board with a 26.5" scale isn't possible with a 0.80 or lower and I just don't want to use strings that thick.

On top of all this, the guitar was defective.

What was wrong with the scale?

It's not the right size for the action I want.

Anyway, this is getting extremely derailed.

ra1der2

Reaction score
It's not the right size for the action I want.

Thats what she said......to you!

dah dum tisshhhhhhhhh :lol:

j/k but on a serious note, with a proper setup there is nothing wrong with F# at 25.5" scale therefore 26.5" scale would not be an issue either.

Lets just chalk this one up to your personal preference and you possibly received a schecter that needed a fret level (which is not an uncommon issue on inexpensive guitars.)

I think you have a search dilemma more than an 8 string dilemma, as there is already tons of useful information here about 8's, their scale lengths, and kahlers, search is your friend.:hbang:

RockerAlex

Reaction score
Thats what she said......to you!

dah dum tisshhhhhhhhh :lol:

j/k but on a serious note, with a proper setup there is nothing wrong with F# at 25.5" scale therefore 26.5" scale would not be an issue either.

Lets just chalk this one up to your personal preference and you possibly received a schecter that needed a fret level (which is not an uncommon issue on inexpensive guitars.)

I think you have a search dilemma more than an 8 string dilemma, as there is already tons of useful information here about 8's, their scale lengths, and kahlers, search is your friend.:hbang:

lmao, I've done some searching around about all the 8s on the market and all I read are horror stories , so I made my own thread so I could get some great advice!