8 String Mockups

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

guitarplayerone

Reaction score
repost but what the hell... made this a while back

84d.jpg

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
So I had some Ideas for some 8 strings that I made mockups of in photoshop, intrested in seeing your ideas and pictures would be great

I love the second one man :yesway:

I was actually going to build my next 8 using that design with a little modification on the body and with my headstock design and hardware etc...

I dont like those non tremolo floyd type bridges they use on those Ibanez at all....

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
^ +1 I REALLY hated that ibanez edge fx thing on the rg2228. Im really diggin that 8 string xiphos though. And the vixen! That ex looks like all neck though.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
i love the idea of the FX Edge bridge, and i think it looks awesomely massive. i'd only get one if it was all steel and made a little more like the "proper" meshuggah 8 string bridge that is made from two melded trems...

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
i just really didnt like cutting off the ball ends, locking the nut, and going through all the hassle of setting up like a trem, and then, no whammy bar :(

Sroth Saraiel

BC Rich 7 Strings :)
Reaction score
This was my unfinished mock up for my 9 string roter custom w/hufschmid pick ups, but i had to quit to it since the roof of my house broke down and fixing it is over $3000 :(

profilepic13308_9.gif

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
I do... why? shouldn't I? :ugh:

If you turn the string around for one you only have to cut once, and theres tons of other conveniences that go along with it ie: string doesn't slip so you don't have to lock it like some people do.

makes the restringing process just that much easier, I have an easier time stringing and tuning my floyd equipped guitars then I do my TOM guitar just on all the little tips N tricks I learned for a floyd.

DSC00046.jpg

Sorry for the crap phone quality pic I just snapped it up, much cleaner nicer imo.

Oh and its always fun seeing the reactions of people who aren't used to floyd equipped guitars going OMG HOW ARE THE STRINGS STAYING ON THE GUITAR!?!??!

thinkpad20

plays guitar??
Reaction score
i just really didnt like cutting off the ball ends, locking the nut, and going through all the hassle of setting up like a trem, and then, no whammy bar :(
It doesn't set up like a FR trem; HUGE difference - no need to balance the trem when you restring/retune/change string gauges/etc. No need to spend 10 minutes tuning because each string's tuning changes other strings.

You can use it just like a regular fixed bridge; you don't even need to cut off the ball ends if you don't want to. loosen or remove the nut clamps, and the only thing you need a hex wrench for is installing the string the first time.

Personally I think it's a great concept and it looks great too. The one downside I see is that you can't change the height of the individual saddles - but that's the same on a tune-o-matic anyway...

Regarding the OP, I think the second one looks totally killer. The only thing I'm not really a fan of is the headstock. I think a 4x4 or a 5x3 headstock would look better... maybe a more pointy version of the RG8 headstock.

Also I think using the newer Xiphos body style with the deeper body bevels would be better... and maybe fanned frets? That could look really nifty on a non-standard body shape like the Xiphos.

But yeah, killer!

CaptainD00M

Lungsman
Reaction score
If you turn the string around for one you only have to cut once, and theres tons of other conveniences that go along with it ie: string doesn't slip so you don't have to lock it like some people do.

makes the restringing process just that much easier, I have an easier time stringing and tuning my floyd equipped guitars then I do my TOM guitar just on all the little tips N tricks I learned for a floyd.

DSC00046.jpg

Sorry for the crap phone quality pic I just snapped it up, much cleaner nicer imo.

Oh and its always fun seeing the reactions of people who aren't used to floyd equipped guitars going OMG HOW ARE THE STRINGS STAYING ON THE GUITAR!?!??!

+1

I usually if i can go do far as to slide the ball ends up to the tuning peg rather than leaving it hanging off. Cut once, less mistakes and on your would strings you have less chance of it going all flubby when the wraps shift due to tension... helps keep you in tune and intoned as well.