8 string sets

Avery Garner

Reaction score
So I have just gotten an 8 string guitar with a 28" scale length and got a set of GHS Boomers 10-80's and I find them to not have enough tension, even in standard tuning. Do you guys recommend any sets or have any tips for building sets?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

auxioluck

Metal Teddy Bear
Reaction score
Is there not enough tension across the board, or just on the low strings? If it's just the low F# you could get a set of 7 string 10's, then get your low string(s) separately. Maybe an 85 for F#?

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
I'm going to guess you only mean the bottom 80, because the EAD portion of this set is actually very tight - like a heavy bottom 6 string set. The issue is, the 80 isn't nearly as tight. The 80 is a good match for if the EAD were 26 36 46 , instead of 30 44 52.
I would approach it string by string and come back to us with more info.
It's quite possible that the unnecessarily tight EAD are altering your perspective on the low string, because it isn't particularly loose in F# but will seem it next to that EAD. But who knows.

The best question to ask here is, what do you use on a 25.5" 6 string in standard tuning? 'Reply' to this comment so I get a notification, and I'll tell you an 8 string 28" set that will feel exactly the same.
The reply is likely going to be a 6 string set and singles, as mentioned above. Unless you are going to go to Stringjoy custom sets for example. The 8 string set market is silly and the only sensibly constructed sets are the D'addario and Ernie Ball 9-80s, which will not help you here.

Avery Garner

Reaction score
Is there not enough tension across the board, or just on the low strings? If it's just the low F# you could get a set of 7 string 10's, then get your low string(s) separately. Maybe an 85 for F#?
It’s definitely across the board that there isn’t enough tension. I like everything to be fairly tight hahaha

rx

Reaction score
It's impossible to get the 8th string extremely tight without going up in gauge or scale. Either introduces its own set of problems. What I do is keep the 8th string a 74 (tuned to E) and use thinner strings for the rest to keep the tension loose across the fretboard. :)

Here are my string gauges:

9 11 16 22 32 46 60 74

Tuned drop-EA to (EA)EADGBe. :)

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
I use 9-42, 56, 68 for F#

I know most people like to have a lot more tension, but it works for me. I’m used to .010s on a 25.5”, so these strings feel good to me on the longer scales

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
I would use probably a 10-56 set for that, maybe 11's

Buy 9 or 10-52 , and a single 70 B and 90 F# :) You'd probably want a 100 for drop E.
These will all feel similar to that reference point.

If you want the set to feel uniform and not need to drill tuners and use monster strings, it may be beneficial to adjust to slightly less tension for example 49, 66, 85

erdiablo666

I'm from Canada...and they think I'm slow...eh
Reaction score
Might I ask what's a good place to get singles of big strings? Guitarstringsonline seems to have shut down for good. I normally use 0.074 to 0.076 for standard and 1/2 step up.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Might I ask what's a good place to get singles of big strings? Guitarstringsonline seems to have shut down for good. I normally use 0.074 to 0.076 for standard and 1/2 step up.
la bella sells really good strings and they'll make custom sets for you (kalium will too, but I found their low end strings to not be as clear sounding). there are other sites like stringdepot that sell single strings iirc, but they only carry up to a certain size.

Djentlover666

Forever tone questing
Reaction score
Stringjoy.com it's very easy to make a custom set. From .007 to .90. idk about bass strings bc I did t even look yet. The .85 and .90 are tapered. A 9 string set is $17 before shipping. Shipping is less than $2. And if it's over $20 shipping is free.