8 String Suggestions

rippedflesh89

Reaction score
I'd like some suggestions about what 8 string I should buy next.

I currently have an RG2228A and I love it so much that I have decided to get another 8 string instead of another 7. The neck profile is so incredibly comfortable that I think I find it more comfy than my UV7BK.

Options I'm considering:

- Kiesel but I'm a little worried that I may not love the thinner neck profile and I've heard the customer service has been pretty bad lately.

- RG5328 but I've heard those have been a total crapshoot and I'm not sure how different the neck profile is. Unfortunately I can't find a place nearby to try one out.

- S5528 would be sweet but pretty hard to find and I'm a little worried the mahogany body would lead to some muddiness in the low end.

- J Larada but that's a little out of my price range

I have a hard cap at $3000. Playability and quality are my highest priority. I wouldn't mind a multiscale but it's not a requirement. I don't mind buying used either.

AleaG

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I owned an S5528LW that I bought used. A steal if you can find one for a decent price. It's a beautiful instrument; flawless fit and finish, and it's a comfortable guitar with a slim neck (it was my first experience with Prestiges and left a good impression).

The only downside is, from what I remember, a bit neck heavy. I can't recall the sound being particularly muddy, but I would guess a pickup change could help there.

rippedflesh89

Reaction score
That's a good point, I never thought about how heavy it would be considering my RG2228 is made out of basswood and is a lighter wood.

Does any know how the thinner profile on a Kiesel 8 string compares to the newer 2228 necks with the narrower headstock and KTS rods?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
There is a perfect mint ESP Tokyo custom shop 8 string w/OHSC and free shipping and no tax if you want to check the classifies ;)

In your price range this is probably the best guitar available right away. Also, I always felt the Ibanez RG 8 strings had the thinner necks than the Kiesels I’ve played. I’d put the Kiesel somewhere between Ibanez and Schecter.

Jeries

Banned
Reaction score
In your price range this is probably the best guitar available right away. Also, I always felt the Ibanez RG 8 strings had the thinner necks than the Kiesels I’ve played. I’d put the Kiesel somewhere between Ibanez and Schecter.
I couldn't agree more...the B8 neck is like an improved 2228 - thickened/widened where the 2228 was a little too skinny

rippedflesh89

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more...the B8 neck is like an improved 2228 - thickened/widened where the 2228 was a little too skinny

Are we talking the Jackson USA Select B8? I've seen those around and have been pretty curious. They fit into my price range too. Does a compound radius fretboard make it a pain to get fretwork done if you don't have a PLEK nearby?

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
Are we talking the Jackson USA Select B8? I've seen those around and have been pretty curious. They fit into my price range too. Does a compound radius fretboard make it a pain to get fretwork done if you don't have a PLEK nearby?

No, its an ESP custom shop 8. Way better than a Jackson USA Select. ESP's custom shop is crazy good, and I don't say many nice things about the big brands.

Jeries

Banned
Reaction score
Actually, the one that is decent for $1000 is the ESP LTD B8, or something like 60B8? but its really nice

instead though, I would probably listen to thaeon, he knows a lot about good ERG taste and choices.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
Actually, the one that is decent for $1000 is the ESP LTD B8, or something like 60B8? but its really nice

instead though, I would probably listen to thaeon, he knows a lot about good ERG taste and choices.

I totally misread that yeah. No it’s an LTD. Good guitar. I’d buy a Japanese ESP before a USA Jackson. Jackson’s are good. It’s splitting hairs. But I feel like the Japanese ESP stuff is more consistent. For an 8 string in that price range with a hard limit, I’d look for an ESP. Or maybe a used Aristedes, or Mayones if you can find a good price on either.

DoctorStoner

θάλλ
Reaction score
Search the GC used section and music go round too, Denver seems to be a hot spot for upscale used instruments.
DCGL is near you as well, they tend to have some real nice 8 strings and will let you check any of them out.

Kiesels are pretty fat, but not as fat as Schecters. I don't know about the 'thin' profile.
You can spec a basic 8 string Kiesel for ~$1500 just to try one out, they might even have on in stock.

I do think a used Aristides would fit your search as well, necks feel very thin IMO. With $3k and a trusted brand, you're bound to get a good guitar.

There is a Kiesel 7 near you if you just want to feel one (it's a 7 though). https://www.musicgoround.com/produc...el-vader-7-custom-w-gig-electric-guitars-wood

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
If you can spring for an Aristides 080, those have a very similar neck and are among the highest quality guitars being made right now.

Boofchuck

SS.org Irregular
Reaction score
I second checking out DCGL.

Schecter Banshee Elites are really nice btw, they probably have a few of those around.

Have you thought about just getting another RG2228?

rippedflesh89

Reaction score
I've been to DCGL, it's an awesome place with awesome staff. They haven't had very many higher end 8 strings lately, mostly signatures like the Dean Rusty Cooley sig and that's 25.5"-23.5" multiscale which isn't for me. They also have a bunch of Schecters which is cool but no MIA 8 strings. I do love the newer ultra thin-c neck neck profile, I wish they used that on more 8 strings.

I'm definitely looking into Aristides, I just have to find a used one because I can't afford a new one. I've heard nothing but amazing things about them.

@camaroeric thanks for bringing that up, I'll have to check that place out, I've never heard of it before. I'd love to try out a Kiesel but have never come across one before.

@Boofchuck I'd consider a Banshee since they're pretty affordable but I'm not seeing any 8 strings on their site. I have considered another RG2228, that's what I'm currently leaning towards. It just has to be an RG2228A in white so it will be a little difficult to find but I'm not in a rush. I check Reverb everyday to see what I can find.

DoctorStoner

θάλλ
Reaction score
Aristides 080 models pop up on reverb darn close to $2k from time to time. Keep your eyes peeled.

The Aurora Music Go Round store has 5 Aristides in stock right now! Someone must have dumped their collection!
Head down and play them this weekend.

rippedflesh89

Reaction score
I went to a few shops and tried a bunch of different guitars out.

The one I resonated with the most was a Vandermeij Magistra. I would have went home with it but the psychedelic swirl finish was a deal breaker for me.

I really loved the Aristides 070s I tried too. I'm sure I would like an 8 string version provided the neck profiles are similar.

I could only find a 6 string Kiesel in stock. While the neck was very comfortable for a 6 string, it felt pretty thick which doesn't give me much hope that I would enjoy an 8 string with a similar neck. I have no idea if it was the thicker option though, it felt a lot like some strats I've played in the past.

Thanks again @camaroeric for suggestion, I had no idea those shops existed!

kisielk

Reaction score
I have the RG2228 as well as an Zeus Z8X with the thinner neck profile. I would say the neck profile is fairly comparable to the RG2228. Not exactly the same but it didn't really take me any adjustment. In fact it was more similar than my Ibanez M80M which was basically flat for most of it and then suddenly curved at the edges

rippedflesh89

Reaction score
That makes sense to me. According to Ibanez's website, the RG2228 neck was always 20mm at the first fret and 21.5mm at the twelfth fret. The Vader 8 that I've been looking at is about 19.5mm at the first fret and 22mm at the twelfth fret with the thinner profile. I've just heard a lot of mixed things about Kiesel necks.

What's the neck profile of your Zeus like? Is it a flattened C/soft D shape like the RG2228 or is it more a normal C shape? And how do feel about the neck not being as wide at the 24th fret? Do the outer strings want to skip off the fretboard? I ask because I have that problem with my RG7620s and prefer wider necks for that reason.

kisielk

Reaction score
To me the neck profile feels very much like the RG2228, I felt right at home as soon as I picked up the guitar for the first time. No problems at all with the neck width..