8 String That Can Handle E Standard?

• Thread starter Carl Kolchak
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Carl Kolchak

Last of the famous international playboys
Reaction score
My Agile 8227 Septor doesn't have enough overtravel in the saddle to even intonate to F# correctly. So I've given up on trying to use it any more. Am looking now for an 8 string under $600 that can handle being tuned to E standard.

Please, any suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Are you sure? What string gauge are you using - floppy strings can have a lot to do with it! I'd be surprised if you can't intonate an F# on one of the most popular and regular scaled 8 strings.

Carl Kolchak

Reaction score
Using a Circle K set of .90s atm. Can almost get the F string to intonate, but the saddle has reached its most rearward position and can go no further. Which is especially infuriating as I don't need that much more room to travel. Oh well.

Was thinking of trying an RG8 or an Iron Label next.

Andrenighthound

Reaction score
try ordering hipshot shorter style saddles. I like a lot of tension with my 27" scale and the only way to get the tension I wanted was to use a .094 for f# but then I maxed out my saddle. It was barley off intonation, but I ordered shorter hipshot saddles and now I even have more room to go back more if i ever needed!

Dayn

Reaction score
Really? Hmm. Can you get a shorter saddle?

My experience with my RG2228 is that I have a little bit of extra room for intonation. I use a .090 Circle K/Kalium in E.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Yeah you have the right string. Damn I'm surprised, would think shorter saddles would come stock if this is a common issue!
I remember having to grind down the back of my saddle of a 7 string to tune it like an 8, was pretty easy

DamienE7

Reaction score
Just got a schecter bamshee passive, ive got it in drop E at the moment and it is brilliant... Couple hundred more if i am correct with your pricing... Amazing guitar though... Might get one second hand

Carl Kolchak

Reaction score
Yeah you have the right string. Damn I'm surprised, would think shorter saddles would come stock if this is a common issue!
I remember having to grind down the back of my saddle of a 7 string to tune it like an 8, was pretty easy

There's a TOM bridge on this guitar.

schwiz

Lefty
Reaction score
Using a Circle K set of .90s atm. Can almost get the F string to intonate, but the saddle has reached its most rearward position and can go no further. Which is especially infuriating as I don't need that much more room to travel. Oh well.

Was thinking of trying an RG8 or an Iron Label next.

Can't you just sand down the screw used for the saddle on the low string? Or will the saddle literally not go any farther?

Carl Kolchak

Reaction score
Back as far as it'll go.
agilebridge.JPG

rockskate4x

rockskate4x
Reaction score
Oh, if it's TOM it definitely won't work to get hipshot saddles. The easiest option would of course be to buy a new guitar with a flatmount hardtail, but there are a few options here. You might be able to remove the TOM, dowel the post-holes, and then drill a new location for the bridge a little farther back to give you more bass-side intonation travel.

DMONSTER

SS.org Dweller
Reaction score
An Agile Intrepid 830. It is also right around your price range, which I can highly recommend for that low of a tuning. I currently have mine tuned in drop Eb with a 79 on the bottom and get great tension. :yesway:

Carl Kolchak

Reaction score
Yeah, I just boxed the Agile up. Not putting any more time or energy into it. Will sell it cheap.

Think I'm done with 8 strings, tbh. Did my research and my next guitar will be an Ibanez SRC6 bass. Plus, I got a SG which I tune to D standard. So, in effect, I'll have the sonic range of an 8 string then.

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
^I have an 830 as well.

.094 is my heaviest for E and sometimes D

rockskate4x

rockskate4x
Reaction score
OH that might work! ^^^ The only thing i would be worried about is string breakage from the string going directly over the pointy side of the saddle from the string through ferrules, but that could probably be fixed with some filing!