8 String trem addicts, its time to lock in

vark

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
@Hollowway @UnstableinLINY and anyone else with an addiction to 8 string tremolos - some guitars of interest on Rondomusic.

8 string with Floyd Rose tremolo FRT S-2000, which is the special so it might be subpar. Active routes and extended scale, I am very close to buying this one just need some convincing from yall lmao.

8 string with multiscale trem, (remember that perihelion I had a while ago), but looks like they updated the bridge. Also doesn't say it's by T4m anymore. Looks inspired by the sophia trem.

Thoughts? Anyone tryna buy some to test lol

Last edited:

The Monster With .

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I like the look of the new Perihelion with the multi trem, I'd love to try it. My two slight concerns would be how it hangs from the stubbyish top horn while standing, and the upper fret access. I really love my my Agile Elite 8 string, but it's neck heavy for sure. I'm guessing it wouldn't be an issue with a headless. I also have a Agile Geodesic multi 7, and the upper fret access is a little disappointing, but no neck dive, which is great.

I'm pretty bad at 8 string, particularly muting the lowest string. I've gotten better, but still much room for improvement. I've wondered if the multiscale would help? Thinking out loud here.

The interceptor is tried and true, and I'd imagine it would be easier to find parts for the bridge if needed.

Lookswise, I looks them both, with maybe a small nod to the Perihelion.

trem licking

Reaction score
it's kind of hard to tell, but the locking nut/neck width on the interceptor looks to be improved from previous versions. older interceptor pros outer strings were WAY too close to the edge of the frets/fretboard, so they either widened the neck a little or narrowed the nut... it still doesn't appear to be an original floyd rose nut based on the pad spacing (they used cepheus nuts in the past). Also, they only make one version of the 8 string floyd rose, and it's 1000 series and excellent quality (i have 2 guitars with these). perihelion pro looks awesome. Can't really beat rondo's return policy, might as well try em out as it's pretty low risk

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vark

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I was also thinking there was only one version of the 8 string FR, guess they mislabeled it on the rondo website. I have one guitar with the 8 string 1000 series currently and the bridge is good so it should be the same one. I'm super tempted by the interceptor..., need to get rid of the Kahler one I have first tho

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I’m tempted by the perihelion as well. I have 3 of the interceptor 8s with Floyd, so I really don’t need another, but love them!

UnstableinLINY

Reaction score
I'm still rocking my Vader. Flipped out the saddles and knobs to keep the gold black theme. I got one more on the way that I snagged with a buckeye top from a pick your top deal they were doing. Gonna be a Kiesel Osiris Buckeye burl with blue infused metal flake. 8 string banger with the same MS trem. I have no complaints about the Vader. Trem has been stable and responsive this whole time. Wasn't sure about the pickups since I have been playing on custom rails in the bridge that I snagged from Seymour Duncan. But to my surprise the thorium pickup has a similar hot output to what I am used to using and although a little different sounds really good through my rig. So I left the pickups as is (plus they already have the gold black aesthetic).

I did see the other ones on Rondo and makes me happy to see them doing more then just a one off. I probably won't be buying anymore guitars for a while after the Osiris as they are not cheap. I got a little fuck around money but not big time Vegas money. So I'll be playing these two for quite a while. Might have to sell off the strandberg and another guitar or two I collected over the years. If I'm not playing them then they gotta go to someone else who will.

VADERII.jpg

LunatiqueRob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I had a Schecter Hellraiser C-8 with FR
_DSC2622.jpg
I had to return it because the trem posts were leaning badly (bought it used) and I was not in the mood to do the repairs myself (I had just done the exact same repair on an Ibby Prestige RG5170G). I liked it otherwise, and currently have the baritone 6-string version (C-VI) in the same finish.

I also have an Aristides H/08 with Hantug trem.
_DSC1321.jpg
I'm selling it because I just don't use it enough (I play more fusion than metal) and want to put that $3.6k toward other gear (and will be replacing it with a Jericho Evertune 8-string, since I want to have at least one 8-string in the studio).

trem licking

Reaction score
Is it my imagination, is is the Floyd route on this one kinda wonky?
View attachment 140793

I don't think it's the angle of the photo, because from this view, if anything, I think it's tilted the other way, more to our left:
View attachment 140794
Does look a little bit off, wouldn't be a deal breaker though I don't think. I've seen quite a few guitars that aren't 100% perfect alignment, but as long as you have a couple mm+ leeway on either side you wouldn't feel the difference anyway
View attachment 140866
I had to return it because the trem posts were leaning badly (bought it used) and I was not in the mood to do the repairs myself (I had just done the exact same repair on an Ibby Prestige RG5170G). I liked it otherwise, and currently have the baritone 6-string version (C-VI) in the same finish.

View attachment 140867
I'm selling it because I just don't use it enough (I play more fusion than metal) and want to put that $3.6k toward other gear (and will be replacing it with a Jericho Evertune 8-string, since I want to have at least one 8-string in the studio).
So your schecter c8 didn't have the metal hinge plate installed where the posts are? I have the black version of this guitar and it has the thick metal hinge reinforcement where the posts are so there's no chance of post lean... Interesting that they built these with and without them. Floyd rose should include the hinge plates with all floyds as it would mitigate these issues entirely

LunatiqueRob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So your schecter c8 didn't have the metal hinge plate installed where the posts are? I have the black version of this guitar and it has the thick metal hinge reinforcement where the posts are so there's no chance of post lean... Interesting that they built these with and without them. Floyd rose should include the hinge plates with all floyds as it would mitigate these issues entirely
It doesn't make sense to have no reinforcement on an 8-string, since the string pull will be much stronger than your typical 6-string. On mine, the wood had collapsed where the posts were leaning forward. And it was worse than my Ibby RG5170G and would have taken a lot more work to fix, which was why I returned it.

snail_byte

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
View attachment 140866

View attachment 140867

I just saw this on Reverb the other day, somehow I knew you'd be on SSO lol

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
It doesn't make sense to have no reinforcement on an 8-string, since the string pull will be much stronger than your typical 6-string. On mine, the wood had collapsed where the posts were leaning forward. And it was worse than my Ibby RG5170G and would have taken a lot more work to fix, which was why I returned it.
I have an 8 that I had to remove that piece because it held the action way too high. I love the concept, though, and agree it would be great to make those routine. For me, I’ll probably just reduce the string tension to compensate, because I like low tension strings.