9V battery does not supply power to pickups?

ACfireandiceDC

Reaction score
Hi,

I posted a thread yesterday which essentially explains that my new guitar with active pickups is working horribly. It makes a very quiet sound, even when I maximize the amp volume and it doesn't have hardly and gain/distortion. :wallbash::realmad::scream:
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/pickups-electronics-general-tech/240219-new-guitar-weak-signal-pickups.html

I thought the pickups may have been bad, but I took the 9V battery out of the guitar to play it some more and it sounded the same. :nuts::scratch:

COULD THIS BE that the 9V battery is not supplying power to the pickups? Could this be a wiring connection issue? What do you think?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
Did you try a new battery, or did you just take the battery out? If not try a new battery.

Do you have a multimeter/ know how to use one? If not, take it to a tech.

ACfireandiceDC

Reaction score
Sorry I left that information out. Yes, I have tried multiple different batteries. They make no difference.

saxman42

Reaction score
Have you solved this yet?

If you have a volt meter around, you can check to see if the battery is making the right connection:
-Touch the red lead of the volt meter to the positive terminal of the 9V battery
-Touch the black lead to one of the pots.

Make sure to do this with the guitar cable plugged into the jack since most active setups are an open circuit until the guitar is plugged in (to save battery life).

If the voltage is not roughly 9V, it means the ground of the battery is not connecting to the ground for the rest of your electronics.

If this isn't conclusive, I'll think of something else to try. Let me know how it goes.