A Holy Grail of Telecaster Collectordom!

• Thread starter stubhead
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

stubhead

Feral Buddha
Reaction score
In 1993, Fender commissioned Spruce Hill Music in Minnesota to make about 400 aluminum Stratocaster bodies and 100 aluminum Telecaster bodies. 109 of the Stratocaster bodies got made into the Fender Harley-Davidson 90th Anniversary Commemorative model, recently selling for $22,000 - $30,000 - our "new economy" may change this. Many of the other Strats were anodized into blue, purple, green and red splotch finishes - yuk? :spock:
The Tele bodies & guitars seem to have fallen off the face of the Earth - apparently into collectordom, somebody's sitting on 'em. I found ONE picture of a splotchy blue on on the whole internet, and a story of someone driving through sixteen states trying to find one - unsuccessfully. A Strat sold for $1500, another for $3500, somebody bought a Tele in a pawnshop for $500 - it's all over the map.

S6300115-1.jpg

S6300114.jpg

One of them found it's way into the hands of an old, old friend of mine - high school daze, 33 years back? Leo owns a studio in Minneapolis and has been sitting on this for 15 years. I have been trying to weasel it out of him for five... I traded him a ridiculously low-value amount of stuff for it, a DeArmond Guild-clone guitar and a Lexicon reverb unit. I think it's mostly that he knows it's going to get hooked up and PLAYED, as he is not a "collector" collector but a fellow addict, sitting on a Holy Grail...

Yee-Haw! :sephi:

This is the $25,000 strat:

hdbody.gif

I suspect my Tele will end up looking more like this Strat than anything else:

T-broalumstrat.jpg

That Tele in the picture is a custom "dobro" made by Spruce Hill, as they kept the forms/jigs/patterns and are licensed to bang out custom one-offs.

Gee - I hope I can get enough treble out of it.... :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stengah_2012

Back from the dead
Reaction score
Awesome man. Think if you rigged up a piezo bridge it'd sound a bit like a resonator?

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
With regular magnetic pickups, considering that is IS a tele, that will end up being the most trebbly guitar ever :lol:

I would 100% recommend putting a piezo in it and making it the most badass resonator around.

Imagine the chicken picking that can be done on it :yesway:

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
So...because it's shaped like a Tele it will make it more trebly? :rolleyes:
...it's made of aluminum...

If for some reason I'm wrong about it, then its because aluminum isn't as trebbly sounding as I thought.:scratch:

The tele bit of it was a joke, haha, but assuming that he's going to be putting a regular tele bridge, and regular tele pickups in it... then yeah, it being a telecaster would have something to do with the treble either way.

Solstafir

Reaction score
The aluminum's mass would be HUGE!!! This would make a very very VERY HEAVY body, and would probably produce a sound far for "thin" or tiny. I wish we had some video or sound sample of em

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
^ AL is pretty fucking light man, a guitar bodie of it wouldnt weigh much more than a very dense wood body

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
...it's made of aluminum...

If for some reason I'm wrong about it, then its because aluminum isn't as trebbly sounding as I thought.:scratch:

The tele bit of it was a joke, haha, but assuming that he's going to be putting a regular tele bridge, and regular tele pickups in it... then yeah, it being a telecaster would have something to do with the treble either way.

Ah, I get it, sorry :lol: I've just come across people in the past that have looked at something like, for example, the Jim Root Telecaster and assumed it would sound brighter than any other guitar with the same woods/pickups.

Solstafir

Reaction score
Densest wood around is ebony measuring 1.1-1.3 g/cm3, acrylic measures up to 1.2g/cm3 max, with Al, while indeed pretty light compared to other metals, is at 2.7g/cm3.
That's pretty heavy.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

picstory of completing that beast!

stubhead

Feral Buddha
Reaction score
It's actually really hollow, as the second picture sort of shows. It's got a very rigid inner frame of welded aluminum beams, but the sheet metal on the outside is hollow, and it's really light. On the Spruce Hill website, they say they have good highs and lows - I expect the inner frame may have more to do with the overall tone than the outer body, though there's bound to be a lot of vibrations zinging around in there. I've speculated myself blind, I gotta just hook it together - I may guess wrong with the first wiring & pickups, it's hard to tell exactly cause nobody knows what these sound like. Friday I ordered a primo neck from Tommy at USA Custom Guitars, and I'll accumulate the bits and pieces while I'm waiting for the neck. I could've bought a set of Tele EMG's for $75 a few days ago, but that seemed way, way off - I don't wanna KILL anybody.... :nono:

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Wow... awesome score! I would put a clear pickguard on it to allow as much of that chromed aluminum to shine through as possible.

Latest posts