A preamp without a power amp?

victor5464

voltron
Reaction score
im in a bit of a hurry so im really sorry if this question has been posted before

i just moved into an apartment and i can literally only play through headphones so i was wondering....

since i wont be using a speaker cab could i just buy a preamp and not need a power amp since im only going to use headphones?

probably a dumb question but i just wanted to make sure :flame:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
You'll still need something to simulate a cab. In that situation I would buy a good sound card and use impulses with the preamp :)

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
I think every preamp I've seen has a headphone output, but unless it's speaker-emulated, you probably wouldn't want to listen to it by itself. Some sort of cab simulator, or an interface to connect to your computer, would be advisable.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Could always look into something digital too, might be cheaper, although a Pod X3 probably runs about the same as an E530 used. All depends on what you're going for I guess.

victor5464

voltron
Reaction score
Could always look into something digital too, might be cheaper, although a Pod X3 probably runs about the same as an E530 used. All depends on what you're going for I guess.

well the main reason i prefer the engl to the pod is that i do eventually plan on getting a power amp and building a rack, i just have to wait for some money to come in (which will probably be a while because i am busy as fuck with school.:wallbash:)

but yes...one day...:rolleyes:

victor5464

voltron
Reaction score
You CAN use a Pod with a poweramp FYI

ha i guess i never thought of it...

well in that case im probably going to get the pod because its cheaper and probably does more :flame:

thanks everyone :yesway:

ChrisPcritter

Contributor
Reaction score
How about an amp with headphone out and a mute for the speaker like the Mesa Subway Rocket..?
It does have an FX loop and I believe it has a cab simulator circuit.. Check the manual at the top of page 6
http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Subway Rocket.pdf
They also make one with reverb but I've had both and prefer to have a presence control since I can add a bit off reverb if wanted in the FX loop.

victor5464

voltron
Reaction score
How about an amp with headphone out and a mute for the speaker like the Mesa Subway Rocket..?
It does have an FX loop and I believe it has a cab simulator circuit.. Check the manual at the top of page 6
http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Subway Rocket.pdf
They also make one with reverb but I've had both and prefer to have a presence control since I can add a bit off reverb if wanted in the FX loop.

what the price for this?