A riff for Jared Dines contest

TomoRG

Reaction score
I've tried to make some "modern metal" riff. I don't know if its any good. Not my style actually, but I like those YT competitions and wanted to join. Plus the prize is really awesome;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvZ8H-LllvY

Who ever plays this kind of music, please, feel free to criticize.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mikernaut

pixel pusher
Reaction score
I don't know what the overall rules/vibe of the contest is about without looking up the description, but I would say your entry was fun and interesting and would give it a positive vote for keeping me on my toes on what to expect.

Critique - The end of the video/riff kinda left me hanging, maybe it's just that there was a good energy going and then it abruptly kind of just stops for the last 10 seconds or so. But nonetheless fun entry. Maybe it's just more an editing timing ordeal in my head.

TomoRG

Reaction score
Yeah, you're right, the first thing is that it's simply too short (it had to be) so there's no time to "tell the whole story" ,so to speak, it's like only the beginning and the end of the song is there and the middle part of, let's say, 4-5 min. was left out.
But to my ears those kind of things sound good, building a tension and expecting release that never comes. Like a horror movie where at the very end you realize that the serial psycho killer's still not dead and is watching for another victim.
I don't know if anyone else see it that way...
It's different when you're a listener I guess.

extendedsolo

Reaction score
These contests are tough since yeah it's about 1 riff or whatever. Good job though since I can see you are a good player. What's more your style just curious? I would say if you are looking for a modern riff don't use a #9 chord (the hendrix chord you used at the end) since it has that dominant tonality and in modern metal it's really tough to pull off (or any metal for that matter). Also proceed with caution with your half diminished chords too. That one was out of key, change it to an F# half diminished (use the same shape).

I think you had some good ideas just need to stay consistent with a sound. This jumps around from a Eminor to Ephrygian to E Harmonic minor it sounds like. You say in your above post about "telling a story." This isn't really a story but more of a couple sentences you have to make an impression. Keep it simple and concise without too many "big words" or "out there ideas". Stick with one "mood" with the riff. Really in modern metal it's best to stick with ONE sound and focus on making rhythms interesting. E harmonic minor or diminished are the ways to go and try to come up with an interesting pattern. Lamb of God are kings of this, same with Jeff Loomis.

Really try messing around with e diminished Half/whole or Half/whole or the Harmonic minor scale. This allows you to keep chugging that open E and thinking of different ideas. Add in minor seconds on the g and B strings and some tritones and you are set!

I hope this post doesn't come off as super critical, I hope I just am steering you more clearly in a certain direction.

TomoRG

Reaction score
I play hard rock, 80's, 90's thrash and death metal and some blues/funk/fusion mostly and do this type of things only for competitions or by request.
The Hendrix chord sounded cool to me since those contests are also about being interesting/different and since I was building the riff around E superlocrian not phrygian it fits perfectly, but of course I'm talking about my non-modern metal taste;) Also the D half diminished is in the key when you harmonize the F melodic minor/ E superlocrian scale.
You're totally right about importance of being consistent and other things you pointed out.
I'll take all the constructive critique in consideration for the next occasion.
Thanks!:yesway:

extendedsolo

Reaction score
I play hard rock, 80's, 90's thrash and death metal and some blues/funk/fusion mostly and do this type of things only for competitions or by request.
The Hendrix chord sounded cool to me since those contests are also about being interesting/different and since I was building the riff around E superlocrian not phrygian it fits perfectly, but of course I'm talking about my non-modern metal taste;) Also the D half diminished is in the key when you harmonize the F melodic minor/ E superlocrian scale.
You're totally right about importance of being consistent and other things you pointed out.
I'll take all the constructive critique in consideration for the next occasion.
Thanks!:yesway:

Yeah I can't think of any modern metal being written out of melodic minor or it's modes other than someone like Emil Werstler. Phrygian dominant is used though!

Really harmonic minor, diminished, locrian are going to be the way to go with modern metal though. Dissonance sprinkled in (minor 2nd, minor 9th, tritone). Should be on your way.

I figured you must have some theory background because just falling backwards into those chords doesn't happen.

edit: yeah just watched some of your videos of you jamming. Loved those. You probably aren't too far away from getting the style down if you are interested in getting it down. Many suggestions on these forums of bands and it's obvious you know how to keep an idea and run with it.

gelloco

Reaction score
Like a horror movie where at the very end you realize that the serial psycho killer's still not dead and is watching for another victim.
32.gif

TomoRG

Reaction score
Actually, I'm self taught and I learned most of the theory in the way that I first played the stuff, understood how the scales correlate with the chords, harmony, playing over changes...all kinds of sh&t and then learned the fancy words and names for what I already knew.
Internet helped me a lot to fill the gaps, I must say!

Like a horror movie where at the very end you realize that the serial psycho killer's still not dead and is watching for another victim.
32.gif

Hate those kind of movies...

Latest posts