A stomp box(s) you'd recommend?

• Thread starter Art-OLA
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Art-OLA

Reaction score
Preferably analog stuff not digital. unless its a nice digital. Actually effects not distortion. I like my Marshalls distortion, its very nice. Who's the top brand(s) at the moment? Its been a while since I've even looked into pedals and I'm getting back into the idea of building me a little board.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Carl Kolchak

Last of the famous international playboys
Reaction score
Two I like are the Boss DS-1 and the Pro Co Rat.

Are you just looking for a distortion though? If not, maybe think about a tube screamer?

celticelk

Reaction score
Need more information. "Please recommend a stomp box" doesn't give us a lot to go on.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Big fan of the Ibanez DE-7 I have, really good delay. Earthquaker Devices do wonderful things with delay and modulation and I hope to have one of their Disaster series pedals one day soonish. Check out the Disaster Transport and Sea Machine lines.

baptizedinblood

Z̶̭̠̻̳̲͗̎̾͒͛̃̒ͭ̚͢
Reaction score
Strymon pedals are fantastic, but a little pricey. The Strymon Timeline is one of the best delay pedals around right now.

Demiurge

Reaction score
Check out Electro Harmonix' "Effectology" videos. Lots of neat and creative uses of effects... that don't necessarily require their products to reproduce.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Might not be in the budget, but Eventide's Modfactor is one helluva DSP in a pedal box.
The things I really like about it are;

It's terrific at injecting very subtle chorus/flanger/phaser without altering the core tone much.

Has many more modulation tweeks beyond the normal three or four knob stompbox.

It's all programmable and presetable so instead of tweeking you can just build another preset and then a/b compare.

It's great for post-production stuff hooked through the DAW.

It matches my green overdrives lol.

Hyacinth

Ghostmaker
Reaction score
My favorite pedal (When I used them) was the Boss DD-7 digital delay. Such a versatile delay pedal and extremely fun to use.

amonb

Les Paul Fever
Contributor
Reaction score
Skreddy Mayo and Skreddy Cognitive Dissonance II (very similar, but the Dissonance is tighter, more focused fuzz). However my fave fuzz right now if the Stomp Under Foot Red Menace. Its a modified tri-muff circuit with a mids pot that is just amazing, especially when pushed by an overdrive pedal (I use a Klon clone).

col

blah.
Reaction score
Z.Cat makes high quality, affordable boutique pedals. I also really like my Wampler Tape Echo w/ Tap Tempo. It can go from subtle to insane.

Ghillie-Up

Reaction score
My favorite pedal (When I used them) was the Boss DD-7 digital delay. Such a versatile delay pedal and extremely fun to use.

I found the DD-7 had a lot of noise when turning the pedal on and off (Not the spillover) like and actual click that you could tell when the pedal was on / off. Not sure if it was a fault with mine. - I tried a Nova repeater from TC-Electronic and have never looked back.

ESPImperium

@ESPImperium
Reaction score
Most MXR stuff for me, but im going down the route of TC Electronics stuff these days.

However, Mooer may be your bag if you want cheap and good effects.

grogarage

stay metal
Reaction score
i get good, warm, vintage delay tones with my MXR Carbon-Copy. If your into analog delay, try it out.

My next pedal purchase should be a Phase 90...such a classic!!

pawel

Reaction score
You don't seem to know what it is that you want, so I would recommend that you get a good multi-fx pedal witch some nice reverbs, delays, modulations etc. You can then play with it until you have a better idea of what you would actually use. At that point you can decide to keep the multi-fx pedal or substitute it for some individual stompboxes more suited to the sound you are looking for.

At current prices it's hard to beat the Line 6 M5 - most of the effects are very solid (apparently not quite Eventide/Strymon-level, but there is enough touring and studio Pros using Line 6 that I wouldn't get too hung up on it) and there is a lot of them to play with. You can build some pretty cool pedalboards around the M5 or its larger brother, the M9.