Abasi Concepts/Larada Megathread

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I mean, we could. The title summarizes the first, like, 120 pages so well it should almost be preserved for anthropological reasons

It shall live on in our hearts...and the Internet Archive.

Don't worry, I'll think of something petty when...if...this goes to shit again.

klaim

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
About the string spacing, I suppose it can help. I'm just worried that it might make thumping harder. I have some basics of thumping on my TAM10, still need work on precision and sound, but if the spacing is closer I don't know if I can play the strings truly independently right now.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It shall live on in our hearts...and the Internet Archive.

Don't worry, I'll think of something petty when...if...this goes to shit again.

Solid OEM dropping the likelihood of it, at least delivery complaint-wise. But maybe he'll gift us Mr. Freeze hepatitis burst to complain about.

AmoryDrive

Reaction score
That's about same string spread at the nut as my Floyd 8 guitars.
To be fair, I haven't had an 8 in ten years and I'm used to Gibsons. I may just be a big dumb and it's not actually all that different lol

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I like the spacing from the F# (or however you have it tuned) to the fretboard edge. I've seen some 8s get a little buzzy rattling off the fret bevel.

Pietjepieter

Contributor
Reaction score
String spacing is quite the same as on mine overload 8 string, does not look strange to me at all.

Love that yellow one, I think it is one of the best looking Larada's out their.
Really hopping their will be a WMI one whit this kind of look.

Good think that in the end it seems like the guitars are coming available, bad think is that my favorite threat title now is gone :facepalm:

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
To be fair, I haven't had an 8 in ten years and I'm used to Gibsons. I may just be a big dumb and it's not actually all that different lol

I think that it's the standard 8-string spacing but it is a bit narrower than typical 6-string spacing.

Some 8-strings have a 60mm nut that brings the string spacing closer to that of a 6-string. But most seem to have settled in around 55mm.

AmoryDrive

Reaction score
I think that it's the standard 8-string spacing but it is a bit narrower than typical 6-string spacing.

Some 8-strings have a 60mm nut that brings the string spacing closer to that of a 6-string. But most seem to have settled in around 55mm.
Ah good, for a moment I was worried that I just sucked at guitar when muscle memory missed the strings

....eh probably still true lol

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
With a typical bolt on, the fit you need to worry about is how cleanly the screws can pull the heel of the neck against the floor of the neck pocket. That's where all the energy is going. The fit along the sides of the pocket is just for alignment. I had an J-Custom with pretty large gaps along the sides of the pocket (several sheets of paper could fit), and that thing sustained forever. I can't see how this would be any different.

You might not even want a tight fit along the upper bout, since there's no screw pulling the two pieces together along the upper bout, the two pieces might not be vibrating identically, causing some loss of energy if they were forced to clank together as the notes ring out.

AmoryDrive

Reaction score
With a typical bolt on, the fit you need to worry about is how cleanly the screws can pull the heel of the neck against the floor of the neck pocket. That's where all the energy is going. The fit along the sides of the pocket is just for alignment. I had an J-Custom with pretty large gaps along the sides of the pocket (several sheets of paper could fit), and that thing sustained forever. I can't see how this would be any different.

You might not even want a tight fit along the upper bout, since there's no screw pulling the two pieces together along the upper bout, the two pieces might not be vibrating identically, causing some loss of energy if they were forced to clank together as the notes ring out.
Yeah it's not really an issue imo, though this is solved on the WMI ones. I'm curious if the J Laradas are an older revision and the WMI version will be the one used going forwardreceived_724857368038157.jpeg

Mr. Manager

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey all, new user here. I'll be in the market for a new 8 string soon and I've been following the Larada since it was announced a couple years ago. Recently I've played some Kiesels and Ibanez but didn't find much I liked until I tried a Strandberg.

Is there anyone here that has played a Boden and a Larada that can offer some insight into each of them? I really liked the endurneck and I've heard the Larada also has an asymmetric neck profile.

I was originally set on a headless 8 string but I love the look of the Larada and I don't mind waiting for the WMI version if it's much better than a Boden.