Abasi Concepts/Larada Megathread

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JaxoBuzzo

....ing river pirate
Reaction score
this is probably something that I missed while very diligently going through 227 pages, but any speculations on the cost of the WMI larada?

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Looks better as a headless IMO. I mean except for whatever the hell is going on with that paddle in the Falbo picture. Designed by Agile?

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
Will the WMI builds have the same scale length as the J-laradas, i.e.

7-string: 25.5” - 27.21”
8-string: 25.5” - 27.5” ?

Pwntus

Reaction score
Got my J Larada 8 Chalk the other day. Absolutely love it. Was a bit scared when i took it out of the package wondering if i was way in over my head but 10 minutes of using it and it became really natural to use.
Ive got another 8 string and plenty of other gear but this will definitely be my main recording tool!

Quick personal review pointers for those interested, im definitely not an expert and i have generally no idea what im talking about when it comes to this stuff, but this is my experience:
  • Size and weight is phenomenal, its weight is lighter than most 6 strings (definitely lighter than all of mine at least) making it easy to handle and doesn't get in your way.
  • Shape of the guitar really is great and sits perfectly in your lap when you play. Found an odd scenario though when sitting in classical where the upper curve on the body pushes on by breastbone that felt a bit odd, but its definitely a "getting used to" thing
    I really enjoy just letting it hang on my left thigh when i do things on my computer. It wont go anywhere as the balance is great, the low weight also makes the guitar not swing back and forth so much if you have it in your lap without holding it. As said any computer work while its in your lap is really easy and it is not in your way. I almost forget its there sometimes.
  • The neck is pretty thin which makes it easy to navigate the 8 string neck, a lot smoother than most other 8 strings ive played. Drawback here is a light feeling of it being easy to break, although i suspect that is just my "i just spent a ton of money and im very careful" reaction. It has a very sturdy strength though.
  • Fanned fret board layout is nicely spaced, the way the frets line up in the middle made it easier to get into for me. Its my first multi scale but it didn't take me long to get used to it (having tried others where i never could get over the fanned frets at all)
  • The sound and tone of the fishman are really clear, great variety, depth, with impressive sustain. I have yet to push them generally but what really stood out to me was when playing octaves. On my other guitars i would always hear the middle muted string (i just probably suck at playing) just a bit which would muddy the sound, on the Larada that is not heard and its crystal clear. The two mode setup is very interesting and gives more variety of use.
  • The cable socket is pointing upwards on the back, i probably would have wanted it pointing downwards, but its not a big thing. Love having it on the back though.
  • General finish and build quality is very high and i love the feeling of just holding the guitar, everything from finish to material quality is phenomenal, fretwork is great. The back of the neck is beautiful, smooth but the wood grain is still felt when playing which was not what i expected to like as much as i do.
    If there is any tiny nitpick negative here it would be the edges of the layer of color finish on the head, but its barely noticeable unless you look really, really close. It feels like beautiful piece of art overall and i want to put it square center in my living room for all to see
I have not owned it for more than a day but all in all, its not an understatement when saying it feels like a high end sports car in a guitar, its fast slick and well designed with great hardware.

Also, the team at abasi concepts were really helpful, i was worried it would break during shipping and they managed to get a hold of a guitar case even though they were out when i ordered, helpful and quick response from them on questions regarding the order in general.
Just my thoughts and experience on this and im far from an expert on gear, hopefully someone will find this useful!

Attachments

• 20200212_081417.jpg
    20200212_081417.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 81
Last edited:

AmoryDrive

Reaction score
Got my J Larada 8 Chalk the other day. Absolutely love it. Was a bit scared when i took it out of the package wondering if i was way in over my head but 10 minutes of using it and it became really natural to use.
Ive got another 8 string and plenty of other gear but this will definitely be my main recording tool!

Quick personal review pointers for those interested, im definitely not an expert and i have generally no idea what im talking about when it comes to this stuff, but this is my experience:
  • Size and weight is phenomenal, its weight is lighter than most 6 strings (definitely lighter than all of mine at least) making it easy to handle and doesn't get in your way.
  • Shape of the guitar really is great and sits perfectly in your lap when you play. Found an odd scenario though when sitting in classical where the upper curve on the body pushes on by breastbone that felt a bit odd, but its definitely a "getting used to" thing
    I really enjoy just letting it hang on my left thigh when i do things on my computer. It wont go anywhere as the balance is great, the low weight also makes the guitar not swing back and forth so much if you have it in your lap without holding it. As said any computer work while its in your lap is really easy and it is not in your way. I almost forget its there sometimes.
  • The neck is pretty thin which makes it easy to navigate the 8 string neck, a lot smoother than most other 8 strings ive played. Drawback here is a light feeling of it being easy to break, although i suspect that is just my "i just spent a ton of money and im very careful" reaction. It has a very sturdy strength though.
  • Fanned fret board layout is nicely spaced, the way the frets line up in the middle made it easier to get into for me. Its my first multi scale but it didn't take me long to get used to it (having tried others where i never could get over the fanned frets at all)
  • The sound and tone of the fishman are really clear, great variety, depth, with impressive sustain. I have yet to push them generally but what really stood out to me was when playing octaves. On my other guitars i would always hear the middle muted string (i just probably suck at playing) just a bit which would muddy the sound, on the Larada that is not heard and its crystal clear. The two mode setup is very interesting and gives more variety of use.
  • The cable socket is pointing upwards on the back, i probably would have wanted it pointing downwards, but its not a big thing. Love having it on the back though.
  • General finish and build quality is very high and i love the feeling of just holding the guitar, everything from finish to material quality is phenomenal, fretwork is great. The back of the neck is beautiful, smooth but the wood grain is still felt when playing which was not what i expected to like as much as i do.
    If there is any tiny nitpick negative here it would be the edges of the layer of color finish on the head, but its barely noticeable unless you look really, really close. It feels like beautiful piece of art overall and i want to put it square center in my living room for all to see
I have not owned it for more than a day but all in all, its not an understatement when saying it feels like a high end sports car in a guitar, its fast slick and well designed with great hardware.

Also, the team at abasi concepts were really helpful, i was worried it would break during shipping and they managed to get a hold of a guitar case even though they were out when i ordered, helpful and quick response from them on questions regarding the order in general.
Just my thoughts and experience on this and im far from an expert on gear, hopefully someone will find this useful!
Congrats!

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
@pwuntus : congrats man!! Thanks for having taken the time to write your review.

Like an idiot I did not buy the gig bag and now I’m regretting that decision, especially since the gig bag company (Reunion Blues) doesn’t ship to Canada (and Amazon stocks are at zero for the Aero model).

Any suggestions on alternatives would be welcome. I googled different models, but I have no clue if they’ll fit the J Larada.

AmoryDrive

Reaction score
@pwuntus : congrats man!! Like an idiot I did not buy the gig bag and now I’m regretting that decision, especially since the gig bag company (Reunion Blues) doesn’t ship to Canada (and Amazon stocks are at zero for the Aero model). Do you have any suggestions on alternatives?
I believe an Abasi should fit in generic, strat size cases. I'd go to your local shop to see what fits. Otherwise I love getting Pelican or SKB cases and cutting the foam to fit

Pwntus

Reaction score
@pwuntus : congrats man!! Thanks for having taken the time to write your review.

Like an idiot I did not buy the gig bag and now I’m regretting that decision, especially since the gig bag company (Reunion Blues) doesn’t ship to Canada (and Amazon stocks are at zero for the Aero model).

Any suggestions on alternatives would be welcome. I googled different models, but I have no clue if they’ll fit the J Larada.

Yeah like @AmoryDrive is saying, pretty sure you can fit it in some generic bag , its pretty uniform in shape so to say. I was going to buy a case until they offered me to get one but before that i came to the conclusion that any bag that doesn't have a precise cutout inside "should" do the trick. The reunion union bag isnt specific to the larada but just has a general soft space inside for it, if that is of any help, added an image of mine for reference.

Attachments

• AeruoBag.jpg
    AeruoBag.jpg
    612.7 KB · Views: 51

Latest posts