Abasi Concepts/Larada Megathread

CW7

Reaction score
Was just going to post last night responding to this but forgot.

Ive had 3 local friends 2 Js and a Masters. The masters needed to be sent back for an entirely new nut as it was literally cracked, and one of the J needed fret leveling.

It doesn’t seem to be an issue with Legions as it’s just an Abasi issue. They’re going through some growing pains im thinking.

this is unfortunate, but parallels the experience I’ve detailed here’s in the past. (Save for my most recent USA, which is the first time out of any Abasi purchase I didn’t have to have frets leveled, saddles filed, or other set up work done.) Someone brought up something to the effect of “why keep buying them and bashing them if you’re not happy?…”. It’s not that - I WANT to get a good one, and really like the guitars overall on paper. (And visually). Had high hopes from the brand (still do). But people need to know, ESPECIALLY when dropped 4k +, there’s a Decent possibility you get something that’s on par with what you’d expect for a custom shop/boutique priced instrument. I should have had a master 8 from this last batch but botched my order, so I’m waiting to see if I can snag one sooner than later on used market so I can compare it to the Carbon 6. (I also have a J7 which I like but needed the aforementioned fret and saddle work).

Emil Keshishian

Reaction score
this is unfortunate, but parallels the experience I’ve detailed here’s in the past. (Save for my most recent USA, which is the first time out of any Abasi purchase I didn’t have to have frets leveled, saddles filed, or other set up work done.) Someone brought up something to the effect of “why keep buying them and bashing them if you’re not happy?…”. It’s not that - I WANT to get a good one, and really like the guitars overall on paper. (And visually). Had high hopes from the brand (still do). But people need to know, ESPECIALLY when dropped 4k +, there’s a Decent possibility you get something that’s on par with what you’d expect for a custom shop/boutique priced instrument. I should have had a master 8 from this last batch but botched my order, so I’m waiting to see if I can snag one sooner than later on used market so I can compare it to the Carbon 6. (I also have a J7 which I like but needed the aforementioned fret and saddle work).
Agreed, I want to get a good one as well and also speaking from experience of owning a couple master series for brief moments and not being thrilled entirely with the quality. This was the first time I went direct to them. If someone on his team or Tosin sees this I hope nothing but the best.

I wish they’d just go the custom order route. I have no problem waiting for MY instrument and would gladly wait upwards to a year if needed knowing the instrument was not being rushed out. The issue with these “exclusive” small batch issues are cases like mine which only a refund can be done. Don’t get me wrong that’s great but doesn’t necessarily fix things as I was clearly willing to spend that money. Just the option to be able to even pick an instrument of my choice on the next drop I would have been thrilled. I think the mentality here in my eyes is that since the demand is so high that someone else is willing to buy what the next person might not think is up to standards. Not saying this is what they are doing but it makes me question.

Reactions: CW7

TheHardwareChap

Reaction score
I've found that if you try and purchase one of the guitars that is posted on instagram or the newsletter, there's a good chance that tosin/someone else is spending time taking good pictures of it. Might be a quick extra QC check to some degree. This Mystic dream master 6 is pretty flawless

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cockandballs

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’m a bit shocked that they are being listed for $4500 in the verb now that’s a bit insane

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
They said it could have happened while the guitar was being handled in the shipping prep and photos stage. Not sure how much of that I think is true as the markings on the fretboard and side don’t seem like markings due to handling. Also they mentioned they might need to add an additional check at the shipping stage. that’s good to hear but I don’t think that’s the issue here. Still waiting to get a refund back pending inspection of the guitar next week as the guitar has already been delivered back. Something about this last drop just put a sour taste in my mouth between getting a dud of a guitar and the fact that a mailer was sent out advertising the zebra guitar would be available only to see Tosin decided to keep it… Great, but that doesn’t look good in the grand scheme of things. I love the guitars and what he’s doing just some questionable moves.

Honestly the refund option was given without hesitation but I wish they went a bit beyond that and possibly offered a replacement for even a pick of one of the next release guitars before dropping.
Yeah, it’s likely that the flaws were seen, and they decided to ship anyway. Which might seem bad, but they have to draw the line somewhere, as no instrument is 100% perfect. They probably determined that it’s worth shipping, and then potentially doing a partial refund or return. But there are probably a number of people that would just accept it as is, and that’s the dice roll for them. I agree that it should have been a B stock, but it’s the kind of thing every company needs to decide. I think they’re trying to figure out what is acceptable and what is not.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, it’s likely that the flaws were seen, and they decided to ship anyway. Which might seem bad, but they have to draw the line somewhere, as no instrument is 100% perfect. They probably determined that it’s worth shipping, and then potentially doing a partial refund or return. But there are probably a number of people that would just accept it as is, and that’s the dice roll for them. I agree that it should have been a B stock, but it’s the kind of thing every company needs to decide. I think they’re trying to figure out what is acceptable and what is not.

Nah, they just know someone will buy it and if not they'll just rework it and throw it in the next batch.

This isn't some rando, it's fucking Grover Jackson. Who, funny enough, was known for pulling that shit with Jackson and later GJ2.

When demand so significantly outweighs supply, you can be sloppy. Even more so with such a rabid fanbase.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Nah, they just know someone will buy it and if not they'll just rework it and throw it in the next batch.

This isn't some rando, it's fucking Grover Jackson. Who, funny enough, was known for pulling that shit with Jackson and later GJ2.

When demand so significantly outweighs supply, you can be sloppy. Even more so with such a rabid fanbase.
Oh, wow, I didn't know he had a history of that. Interesting.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, Grover knows his shit, which is why it's so weird when folks in here are like "well I guess Grover Fucking Jackson is still figuring out this whole guitar thing".

As for Abasi the brand, these are the same folks that kept a straight face and pulled up to NAMM with incomplete guitars and shipped those wonky ass Falbos without a second thought.

I play music

Reaction score
The Jackson stuff is mostly rumor at this point, it's been so long, but there's a reason the GJ2 stuff had to be blown out at like 50% off MAP to move.
In Singapore, there's a shop that has tons of GJ2 sitting in there for years with nobody buying it.

he also made guitars where you have to take the neck off to adjust the truss rod IIRC
that's just straight up stupid
no wonder noone buys that

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
he also made guitars where you have to take the neck off to adjust the truss rod IIRC
that's just straight up stupid
no wonder noone buys that

Most Custom Shop Fenders still use the "period correct" truss rod setup. People are weird. :lol:

It's actually not terrible, I've probably worked on a thousand guitars with that setup. Certainly not ideal, but only adds a few minutes to the overall process.

I play music

Reaction score
Most Custom Shop Fenders still use the "period correct" truss rod setup. People are weird. :lol:

It's actually not terrible, I've probably worked on a thousand guitars with that setup. Certainly not ideal, but only adds a few minutes to the overall process.
yes but probably those Fenders are for collectors that want it "vintage correct", GJ isn't "vintage correct" anyways, so there is no reason at all
I can see that for someone very experienced but I would just give it a quarter turn and then be incredibly pissed off that I have to put it off another time because it was not enough
folks in here are like "well I guess Grover Fucking Jackson is still figuring out this whole guitar thing".
I think who does that in this century still has to figure out this guitar thing

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
yes but probably those Fenders are for collectors that want it "vintage correct", GJ isn't "vintage correct" anyways, so there is no reason at all
I can see that for someone very experienced but I would just give it a quarter turn and then be incredibly pissed off that I have to put it off another time because it was not enough

I think who does that in this century still has to figure out this guitar thing

K.

MrWulf

Reaction score
Personally i just feel the whole Abasi Concepts to be incredibly shoddy and pretentious for the amount of hype, money and personnels it has involved. I already feels bad enough spending a good chunk of money on a rare axe that turned out to be a little bit less ideal than what i was hoping for, nevermind these imperfections on a 4k axe.

Lordcephid

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
In Singapore, there's a shop that has tons of GJ2 sitting in there for years with nobody buying it.

hahah then again, most of these shops in Singapore have a shit ton of other guitars sitting there for years as well.

Lordcephid

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Personally i just feel the whole Abasi Concepts to be incredibly shoddy and pretentious for the amount of hype, money and personnels it has involved. I already feels bad enough spending a good chunk of money on a rare axe that turned out to be a little bit less ideal than what i was hoping for, nevermind these imperfections on a 4k axe.

NGL, I was kinda tempted to get another since overall I love how it plays so comfortably. but seeing how the prices have gone up by so much and well... still plenty of QC issues, I think I'll be putting my money else where till the day their QC is tip top.

Lordcephid

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
They also have a bunch of ESPs too, even the exhibition ones.
ahhh means it's Davis Guitars. My uncle knows the owners and they don't really sell what's displayed at the storefront.. but then again even in their store they have a lot of other guitars that don't move. But even across most guitar shops in Singapore it's generally a lot that don't move that much

Latest posts