About to take a plunge back to tubes

• Thread starter Mark 7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mark 7

McLeod!
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I have a question about effects capabilities with an amp head and not a digital device. Long story monotonous: Was a Marshall 2 channel guy for about 4 years, got tired of the limited capabilities of it and a shit clean channel. Have been a Line 6 guy for last 2 years but as many of you may agree with, it just ain't a tube sound. About to purchase a Mesa Road King for it's versatility and want the ability to switch channels from a floor pedal i.e. have the same capability I currently have with the Line 6. I'm seriously looking at the TC G-System which I think is great because it is a true rack mount (quality) unit but the rack unit can mount in the board itself and I don't have to have a separate rack for one stinkin' unit.

Anyhoo - I want the capability to edit the patches in the G-Sys to include the ability to preset the amp channel in the RK - so if I want chorus & delay in channel 1 can I preset the patch to also recognize the amp channel I want? Caution - I am NOT the brightest crayon when it comes to this shit, but I don't want to spend money or research time on an effects unit that is incapable of doing what I want it to do. I gotta tell ya though, that G-Stystem looks awful fuckin sexy.

Anyone? Beuhler?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I believe the G-System has four loops in it, which you can probably use to change the channels on the Road King, but not access the rest of the functionality (solo boost, reverb on/off). Noodles here uses an Amp Gizmo to handle his channel switching. It recognizes the midi programs, and sets the relays accordingly.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Noodles loves his Amp Gizmo, too. It is extremely easy to program (I virtually know nothing about MIDI). Just plug your MIDI controler into it, plug it into the amp, use the controller to switch to the channel you want to program, use the buttons on the AG to duplicate the functions/channels you want on/off on the RK, and save it on the AG.

When I bought it, he didn't have a cable specific to the RK, and I had to wire up four 1/4" mono pairs to 1/4" stereo wires. Now he has a specific cable, making it even simpler. I can't say enough good things about this unit, which is why I OK'ed him putting my comments on his site.

theunforgiven246

BEHOLD KLUMPAMUS PRIME!
Reaction score
so i could change my 5150 depending on the preset i have on my effect processor.... interesting.... :strokes beard and nothing else:

jakeskylyr

Reaction score
I use a Rockman Octopus for this. Works like a charm. Discontinued, but you can usually find them on eBay.

The G-Major has this functionality as well (stereo plug, up to 4 amp channels) as does the G-System. I'm not sure how many channels the G-System controls. Oddly though, I don't think the G-Force does....

At any rate, the Octopus is a cool unit, easy to use and program, no wall wart, and dead reliable. :yesway: :yesway:

7slinger

wake up dead
Contributor
Reaction score
jakeskylyr said:
I use a Rockman Octopus for this. Works like a charm. Discontinued, but you can usually find them on eBay.

The G-Major has this functionality as well (stereo plug, up to 4 amp channels) as does the G-System. I'm not sure how many channels the G-System controls. Oddly though, I don't think the G-Force does....

At any rate, the Octopus is a cool unit, easy to use and program, no wall wart, and dead reliable. :yesway: :yesway:

G system has 2 relays. you can program it to switch amp channels with your presets and then have a second channel switch within the preset = cool

Latest posts