Added a Piezo Mod to my Ibanez SR655! (Pic-story)

SlipknotKoRnfan

Burn Jet Fuel
Reaction score
Hey all,

After weeks of frustration I finally succeeded in modding my SR655 with an Aerosilk Piezo loaded bridge. I got the idea to do this because I realized the stock bridge and the aerosilk piezo version are literally the exact same baseplate, so it would be an easy swap. I also enjoy piezo systems in general as several of my Ibanez's have the piezo Lo-Pro's in them.

My main goal for this mod was to do this in such a way as to:

1. Keep it looking as stock as possible
2. Ensure any routing is completely hidden
3. Ability to revert to complete stock (eg. if I wanted to sell it)

I found a loaded bridge online from an SRH505 as it had to be black, then found electronics from an SRF705. As the SR655 has 5 knobs and a 2-way mini switch, and the SRF705 has 6 knobs, in order to keep the full functionality and control scheme of the 705 I decided to use the miniswitch hole for the 6th knob. I only had to barely enlarge it to get a knob to fit and remove a smidge of material from the control cavity so the pot would sit correctly.

Here is the Aerosilk bridge next to the stock one:

20220216_014609.jpg

This is the stock wiring I completely pulled out:

20220216_015553.jpg

This is the SRF705 wiring which would be installed including the piezo circuit board:

20220714_003239.jpg

I marked out the channels for the saddle wires to sit in using the baseplate holes as a template, ensuring to make them long enough so that each saddle could still be intonated properly. I took advantage of the existing hole connecting this area to the control cavity that is used for the bridge ground, and would use this channel to pass all the wires through to the control cavity:

20220713_203606.jpg

Using a dremel, I routed the channels for each wire. This was my first time using a dremel lol. I also greatly widened the grounding channel so that the 5 wires plus the ground wire would all fit through:

20220714_220959.jpg

It was pretty tricky feeding all the wires through, and then setting them into the channel and putting the baseplate on top without any of them popping up. I also had to lengthen a few of the piezo wires:

20220714_221657.jpg

Finally everything is in place and soldered up. All electronics function properly and it sounds great:

20221010_031252.jpg

The finished product!

20221010_031238.jpg

I'll try to post a sound clip later when I have time. There were tons of hurdles I had to go through and I had to be creative in a lot of areas. But it was a great learning experience as this was my first major mod.
I'm super happy with it!

Cheers:cheers:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Dude, good job! That's a super cool mod!

Does it the circuit have a blend control between mag and piezo or is it all volume controls? (curious about phase issues, if there are any)

SlipknotKoRnfan

Burn Jet Fuel
Reaction score
Dude, good job! That's a super cool mod!

Does it the circuit have a blend control between mag and piezo or is it all volume controls? (curious about phase issues, if there are any)
Thanks guys!

It's all volume controls, so you can precisely blend as much mag or piezo as you want. Since the wiring is all stock from an SRF705 there are zero phase issues as I didn't change anything in the harness. Everything works exactly as it would have on that bass!

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Great work! What does a piezo sound like on a bass? Tricky question to answer I know, but is it along the same lines as piezo on a guitar? i.e. an approximation of an accoustic tone?

Reaction score
Great work! What does a piezo sound like on a bass? Tricky question to answer I know, but is it along the same lines as piezo on a guitar? i.e. an approximation of an accoustic tone?
II wouldn't say acoustic but rather raw... at least on guitar...

Latest posts