Advice on 9 strings

• Thread starter linguos
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

linguos

Reaction score
I absolutely can't decide between a high a/g or low F#. Can anyone tell me about their 9 string experience or persuade me for either a high or low 8 string?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
Either go for a nine-string from Agile (or look into it at least), or look into a custom that will allow you to do more with an 8-string (for example I'm set on a 28-fret 8-string that will facilitate the use of both extended high and low range).

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I adapted very easily to additional low strings, but found it VERY difficult to adapt to the additional high string. I'm having another ERG made and I am not doing the additional high string. For me, since the top strings are usually a lot of faster stuff, like sweeping and solos, the extra string really got in the way of my muscle memory. For whatever reason I think that when my brain navigates a guitar it does it from the highest strings as a reference point. So I can play the same riffs on the low E and A strings, even if a B, F#, C# are added below it. But if an A4 is added it totally jacks me up.

That being said, I'm generally a "more strings are better" lunatic, because that nagging question about how it will sound, what you can compose, etc. never gets better until you satisfy it. So that's why I did the 10 string.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
What are you guys who tune down doing about playing regular tunes? Or are you just using the guitar for original composition? I was thinking of tuning down a half step like that and maybe capoing but it seems easier just to tune up to standard.

Murdstone

Sycamore Trees
Reaction score
I had the 10 tuned down a step to replicate a bass. To play standard songs I just used a capo. It really wasn't a big deal, just required a teeny bit more thought when playing.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
What are you guys who tune down doing about playing regular tunes? Or are you just using the guitar for original composition? I was thinking of tuning down a half step like that and maybe capoing but it seems easier just to tune up to standard.

Original works, covers, what have you. If working with pieces in standard which use open strings, it's not a problem to slap on a partial capo covering six strings. Most of the time, if I'm covering stuff I just use barre chords.

Since I was doing a lot of folk/trad stuff when working in full fifths on my acoustic six/12-strings, putting a capo on at the fifth or 12th to get a mandolin/mandola open-string advantage meant I got the advantages of traditional fingerings. That got me over any pretensions I might have had against using a capo.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not a priori against a capo, I just am not sure how well I'd adapt on the fly to fretting everything up 2 frets without accidentally reverting to the standard place I'd play it. I guess it would just be a matter of practice.

XEN

BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS
Contributor
Reaction score
I almost only stick to original material. What can I say? I'm lazy as fuck! :lol:

shredguitar7690

NEED MORE STRINGS!!
Reaction score
My opinion: From all I have heard from this forum, dont go with the high A unless you have a 27 inch scale or less on the top side. 24 or 25 would be preferable. You would probably need to get Octave4Plus strings for that unless you like breaking strings constantly and not being able to bend, and those are expensive. Even then I have heard horror stories about the high A string breaking constantly. I mean...if you find a way to have maybe a 24-27 fan then it might be more doable. You can get that with the Agile custom shop. Another thing I have heard is that the high A is a really weird transition, especially when you have extra strings on the bottom and the top. It might disorient you. I think a low C# would be reeeally cool and bad ass but it all comes down to your preferences. Of course go with the high A if you really like the idea of it. And other people can chime in if they have played with the high A but imo...go with the 3 extra low strings.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
^ +1. Although, having been playing my 10 almost exclusively for a few weeks I've adapted really well to the high A and am no longer disoriented. But, I would say O4P is mandatory over 25". You could hit it at 23" or so, but 24" is still going to be a little dicey with traditional strings. If you play around with the string tension calf you'll find that subtracting an inch is way less than tuning up a semitone in terms of the effect. It seems tuning up requires a considerable reduction in length. And vice versa for tuning down.

Murdstone

Sycamore Trees
Reaction score
My opinion: From all I have heard from this forum, dont go with the high A unless you have a 27 inch scale or less on the top side. 24 or 25 would be preferable. You would probably need to get Octave4Plus strings for that unless you like breaking strings constantly and not being able to bend, and those are expensive. Even then I have heard horror stories about the high A string breaking constantly. I mean...if you find a way to have maybe a 24-27 fan then it might be more doable. You can get that with the Agile custom shop. Another thing I have heard is that the high A is a really weird transition, especially when you have extra strings on the bottom and the top. It might disorient you. I think a low C# would be reeeally cool and bad ass but it all comes down to your preferences. Of course go with the high A if you really like the idea of it. And other people can chime in if they have played with the high A but imo...go with the 3 extra low strings.

To counteract this a little bit I had an O4P A4 on my 10 at 27" that didn't break for literally months. Sure there are some horror stories, but there are also cases that are on the other end of the spectrum.