Advice on first 7

Mibsen

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have been toying with the idea this summer of buying an Ibanez RGA7 as my first 7 string (I am classically trained and have a 6 string but have yet to get into playing extended range guitars). I have briefly played one at a music shop near my house and loved the feel of the neck. That being said, my two concerns are the pickups and the bridge.

I've never been one for tremolo bars (mostly because I just think they look tacky) but since I'm going to be powering hard through more rhythmic music with this guitar (djent, progressive, whatever you want to call it) It would be nice to have the ability to pitch-dive or bend the pitch below my lowest note.
Since this is something I am back and forth on I'd like to know what you guys think about it.

The pickups are not so much of an issue, for now I want the guitar to immerse myself in playing material like this since I have little experience in it (but hey we all start somewhere right?) so for now the crappy (as I've been told they are) pickups will do. but theoretically it would be possible to replace them later with BKP's or Dimarzio's with minimal or no modification to the body correct? what are your guys thoughts on pickup choices? mostly I want clarity of individual notes, especially on big chords as I dont want to just chug 2 strings all the time, and I want something that can deliver intense punch for my heavy tones and also a very full sound for my cleans.

Last comment, one of the big reasons I consider the RGA7 is the price. I am a student (actually studying music) and I can't afford to spend well over a grand on a guitar. but let me know your thoughts, as I know little about the actual technicalities of these kinds of guitars.

EDIT: People who's tones I love are: Misha Mansoor, Tosin Abasi, Jake Bowen, guys from Volumes, etc

also, sorry this post was so long :wallbash:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sunlit Omega

Chaos Engineer
Contributor
Reaction score
Well first off welcome since I see you are new here. You seem to really know what you want and the RGA7 should suit your needs nicely. As you've read you'll probably end up like the stock pickups. I've heard BKP's and like them, just never had the money to purchase them. I love a DiMarzio Evolution in the bridge, Thick tone that is versatile for clean and distorted playing. Hope my two cents helps!

rippedflesh89

Reaction score
i honestly thought the RGA7 was a piece of shit when i tried one at my local ibby dealer... i hate the new fixed bridges that theyve been using lately... they were made to be more comfortable, but it seems like they used cheaper metals to make them... im a big mahogany fan, but the RGA7 just ddnt really bring those growling mids like i like...

if you want a big bang for your buck, keep your eye on ebay for an RG7620... if you find one that your skeptical about, theres a million people or more on here who would more than happy to help you verify its authenticity (sometimes people mistake RG7321s for RG7621s)..

w/a RG7620, you get IMO the most stable trem out there. I have used many different trem systems and the lo-pro edge has been my favorite for quite some time. The necks on the RG7620s are amazing too.. such a great neck profile... i can shred for 5 hours straight on this thing and my hand never will never cramp up (granted, i always stretch before jamming)

bottom line: if you want a trem, find an RG7620... if you dont, then find yourself either an RG7621 or an RG7421... theyre practically the same w/very tiny variations... i would avoid the RG7321/RGD7321/RG7321/RG7320 unless you really, REALLY insist on buying new...

p.s. just go to ebay and seach "ibanez 7 string"... i bought two very nice guitars on there w/absolutely no issues... as a matter of fact, i love buying older used guitars on ebay so much that i feel guilty buying new guitars hahaha

Mibsen

Reaction score
thanks for the input guys! and the welcome.

I'll take a look at the RG7620, it looks nice in pics, but I'll keep tabs on prices and such on ebay.

they were made to be more comfortable, but it seems like they used cheaper metals to make them... im a big mahogany fan, but the RGA7 just ddnt really bring those growling mids like i like...

what do you think most contributes to your dissatisfaction with the RGA7 tone? and also what is it about the RG7620 necks that is so much more comfortable? are the necks fairly thick? because I find I usually prefer thinner necks

hswirlmaster

Reaction score
Japanese Ibanez RG7432 or the RG7620 which can be purchased pretty cheap on eBay. Ibanez S series 7420 is also a good first 7. Japanese quality at a cheap price.

hswirlmaster

Reaction score
I would go for a 7620 which is about the same price as a RGA but better quality and will have better fretwork and neck. The tones you want can be achieved with any S series or RG

CrazyDean

Reaction score
A plus with the 7620 vs the 7420 is better stock pickups.

A lot of people don't like the lo-pro tremolo in the old S7420. I, personally, have not had too much problem with it. It's not great but I don't use it all the time, either.

Also, you should try playing a new S7320 or S7420 with the ZR trem. It's pretty awesome IMO.

shanejohnson02

Hammer of the Gods
Reaction score
Also, you should try playing a new S7320 or S7420 with the ZR trem. It's pretty awesome IMO.

The new S7420 is awesome. I tried one a while back and almost got it over my RGA7...I was just going through a fixed-bridge phase at the time. Both are great guitar, but the S7420 gives you more options, pickup-wise since it uses standard pickup routs.

rippedflesh89

Reaction score
what do you think most contributes to your dissatisfaction with the RGA7 tone? and also what is it about the RG7620 necks that is so much more comfortable? are the necks fairly thick? because I find I usually prefer thinner necks

the new bridge on the RGA7 feels really cheap and light... which in turn has a thinner tone w/less sustain.... its not at all what i expected to hear from a mahogany guitar

the RG7620 has really thin neck... one of the thinnest out there... but what really makes it amazing is the shape of the neck... my 2 bubinga striped necks have this super uniform, c-shape to it... which eliminates the shoulders (corners) near the edges of the fretboard, which makes the neck feel even thinner than it is... but then again, i cannot speak for the one piece 7620 necks as ive heard theyre slightly different

if you put a tung oil finish on these necks, you literally will not be able to put it down!!

Mibsen

Reaction score
The new S7420 is awesome. I tried one a while back and almost got it over my RGA7...I was just going through a fixed-bridge phase at the time. Both are great guitar, but the S7420 gives you more options, pickup-wise since it uses standard pickup routs.

in regards to this I have been heavily considering BKP's as a replacement for whatever comes stock with the 7 I end up getting. do you know if I would be able to install them in an RGA7 or is it so limited that wouldn't work?

thanks for all the input everyone, I obviously need to sit down with each of these guitars and try them, I'll have to head to axe or something and see which they have to try

matt012ib

Reaction score
The RGA7 will cost you $500 give or take, its ok but nothing special. You might as well get the 7321 and new pickups for the same price. Get a used Japanese 7420 or 7620 and they will last longer, have better fingerboards and will sound better (higher quality guitars). I played a 7321 for nearly 4 years and it nearly put me off guitars all together, then I got a K7 recently which is getting me into guitars again.

rippedflesh89

Reaction score
in regards to this I have been heavily considering BKP's as a replacement for whatever comes stock with the 7 I end up getting. do you know if I would be able to install them in an RGA7 or is it so limited that wouldn't work?

thanks for all the input everyone, I obviously need to sit down with each of these guitars and try them, I'll have to head to axe or something and see which they have to try

1.) yes, BKPs will definitely fit into an RGA7.... i believe you might have to buy an active-to-passive pickup ring though... but their only like 10-15$

2.) your not going to be able to try out an RG7620 unless you know someone who owns one... i kinda bought mine on a blind whim over ebay... but i ended up loving it so much that i bought another one... it literally makes the RGA7 feel like a toy...

if you really insist on buying new.. id say the best bang for your buck 7 string ibanez has right now is the S7420... it has a slim, ultra comfortable mahogany body, the ZR tremolo (which is a very nice tremolo... im not an edge zero fan, but the ZR is fuckin sweet because of the ball-bearings) and not to mention, this is first S7 to ever have 24 frets IIRC

Mibsen

Reaction score
1.) yes, BKPs will definitely fit into an RGA7.... i believe you might have to buy an active-to-passive pickup ring though... but their only like 10-15$

2.) your not going to be able to try out an RG7620 unless you know someone who owns one... i kinda bought mine on a blind whim over ebay... but i ended up loving it so much that i bought another one... it literally makes the RGA7 feel like a toy...

if you really insist on buying new.. id say the best bang for your buck 7 string ibanez has right now is the S7420... it has a slim, ultra comfortable mahogany body, the ZR tremolo (which is a very nice tremolo... im not an edge zero fan, but the ZR is fuckin sweet because of the ball-bearings) and not to mention, this is first S7 to ever have 24 frets IIRC

thanks for the advice, it does look like the S7420 has some advantages for not much more in price, I can't seem to find any RG7620's even on eBay but i'll keep my eyes open