Advice on new low-tuning amp

• Thread starter USMarine75
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
I have a bunch of the usual amps, some of which work well with low tuning (EVH, Peavey, KSR Ares). But I’ve been looking for something new that’s different than what I have and works really well for the chugs.

Any thoughts on the following amps:

Randall RD100H
Randall KH103
Randall 667
Randall Satan
Engl Savage

Anyone have experience with the KH103? Kirk usually has great taste in gear. I just watched @Guitarjon ’s RD100 demo and I’m fairly sold on that.

Or anything I’m missing? Bonus if it goes cheap on the used market.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
The only one of those amps I have experience with is the 50w Satan, but it was a chug machine. My main 6 string tuning is drop B and my main 7 is in drop Bb with a low F. It's a tight amp on its own, but I still used a boost with it anyway.

KnightBrolaire

friendly neighborhood pickup tester
Reaction score
I can't really help with most of the randalls but I personally hated the Diavlo 100. Much drier and lower gain feeling than I was expecting. I would never recommend that amp tbh.

How cheap are we talking?
around 2k- Revv 100p, Mesa triple crown
sub1k- PRS Archon,
sub 700$- mesa f series, xxx, orange super crush, prs mt15,

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
Huge no IRL experience disclaimer, but I’ve been told that the undisputed king of dry and tight high gain is VHT/Fryette. It worked for Dave Davidson.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not a big ENGL fan generally, but the Savage is a pretty sweet amp for low tuned chugs.

The Satan demos I've heard have been solid too, but that's probably the only Randall on the list I'd bother with.

The KH103/667, basically the Meathead clones, seem cool, but when I had the opportunity to play them in person I was fairly underwhelmed. I guess "more is more", but like more of what? :lol:

But everything is pretty subjective, I don't think you'd hate anything on that list, except maybe the Diavlo because yeah, @KnightBrolaire is right, they sort of blow.

Live a little, get a Mark.

Edika

Reaction score
My experience with the RD100 was that it could cut through well but was quite dark sounding. I'm not sure if it was bass frequencies or the lower mid frequencies that where quite bloated. It didn't feel like it had low gain, just more usable gain in the range that most amps would get quite muddy and bloated. The on-board boost was not half bad but I preferred my Maxon OD808 in front. Even without the on board boost or a tubescreamer it could get quite brutal. But it gets really noisy as the gain stages pile on.
However without a boost it would.sound even darker. It could handle some 7 strings but the more brighter sounding ones and not tuned too low.
I liked it but the main reason I sold it was because it sat in between my Egnater Vengeance and my Peavey 5150II and I vastly preferred my 5150II over the RD100. The only advantage the RD100 has is the possibility of putting different type of power tubes and a better clean. But in terms of low tuned riffage the 5150II was significantly better.
In conclusion, a nice amp and it was a way to get a Fortin sounding amp on a budget, before prices went crazy, but it would not be my first choice for low tuned suff!

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Pretty sure I know someone in NY selling a mark III soon, could do that...

Valdra

Reaction score
I have an RD100H. Solid amp but I would describe it as "round" sounding, with not a lot of bite or snappiness so it may not be ideal for lower stuff. Not that you can't, just wouldn't be my first choice out of my 18 or so heads.

I guess it also depends what you're calling low tuning? My C# standard stuff I love it. My octave down C# standard stuff on my 33" scale guitar, not as much.

I usually boost with either a Precision Drive, Fortin Grind, or Fortin Blade. Lately on that amp the Blade is the go to because it's way more grind-y than all my other boosts, which I feel compliments the Randall's voicing well.