After 16 years... (NGD)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
Congrats!! Welcome to the Fractalverse. :)

I’ve had zero success with FRFR. I’ve tried a pair of Matrix speakers and a Headrush version. Disliked both. But knowing what I know now, I’d be much quicker to apply fairly aggressive low and high cuts in the cab block, output EQ, or any of the other myriad ways to do so. I’m guessing I’d have more success these days.

No point for me at this time though. Because I play only at home and can play loud, I just run my FM9 through my real amps FX loops (stereo) and it is glorious. And real amps and cabs look much better than FRFR stuff lol
I was on the FM9 waitlist for 6-7 months and just got fed up. I estimated the FM9 was going to run me $3,200.00 - $3,600.00 NZD. The Axe-Fx III Mk III cost me a hair over $4,000.00. I'm one of those "go big or go home" type of dudes.

Edit: and yeah the jury is still out on the HS8's. Curiously, my Aussie buddy Leon makes vids about the Axe-Fx III and his results vary from mine to an unexpected degree. The HS8's did some fantastic for the Soldano SLO plugin from Neural DSP though.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Did it ship with 19.05 installed? In which case it should have the latest factory presets as well.

CrushingAnvil

Reaction score
Load up the latest presets, check out some leon todd tutorials, fire up axe edit and lose half a day easy.
I got the unit on Thursday and had a day off work on Friday. Luckily I managed to find an appropriate USB cable (thanks to my old Behringer interface) the night I got it. Don't worry, I've been tweaking for 72 hours

GreatGreen

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That sounds like hell :lol:

Tweaking one amp for 72 hrs, yeah.

But if you're building and tweaking one entire sky's-the-limit rig after another in probably the single most comprehensive virtual warehouse of amps, cabs, mics, pedals, and rack gear ever conceived, then nah it's fun the whole time.

I've been on the fractal train since like 2008 and although I've had all my core tones dialed in for a while, it's still fun to start a patch from nothing and see what kind of sounds I can get that are totally outside my wheelhouse. I also don't use it to its full capability, there's always automation/modifier rabit hole you could dive into with that thing if you really want to feel like you're living in the future.

Last edited:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Tweaking one amp for 72 hrs, yeah.

But if you're building and tweaking one entire sky's-the-limit rig after another in probably the single most comprehensive virtual warehouse of amps, cabs, mics, pedals, and rack gear ever conceived, then nah it's fun the whole time.

I've been on the fractal train since like 2008 and although I've had all my core tones dialed in for a while, it's still fun to start a patch from nothing and see what kind of sounds I can get that are totally outside my wheelhouse. I also don't use it to its full capability, there's always automation/modifier rabit hole you could dive into with that thing if you really want to feel like you're living in the future.
Im a set and forget kinda guy. I have a preset for each guitar (but mainly use 2 of those for all guitars) and I have my soundscape stuff in another preset.

Also very few people use most of what it can do, so you can rest easy there :lol:.

Btw modifiers are fun and you should check em out :yesway:.

laxu

Reaction score
Congrats!! Welcome to the Fractalverse. :)

I’ve had zero success with FRFR. I’ve tried a pair of Matrix speakers and a Headrush version. Disliked both. But knowing what I know now, I’d be much quicker to apply fairly aggressive low and high cuts in the cab block, output EQ, or any of the other myriad ways to do so. I’m guessing I’d have more success these days.

No point for me at this time though. Because I play only at home and can play loud, I just run my FM9 through my real amps FX loops (stereo) and it is glorious. And real amps and cabs look much better than FRFR stuff lol
I'm considering going the opposite direction. It took me a helluva lot of time to match the behavior of my guitar cabs to the Axe-Fx 3 amp modeling using the speaker impedance curve features. That's just a complete non-issue when using studio monitors. I haven't had a loud volume FRFR setup for many years now so can't say much about that.

I just got lucky the 4x10 Brit JM45 impedance curve was a good match to my 4x10 w/ 10" Greenbacks. My 1x12 with Celestion Golds was a much bigger struggle but one of the AC-20 curves got fairly close. I used the Fryette PS-100 and my real Victory VC35 and BluGuitar Amp 1 as reference here. When I got the closest Axe-Fx 3 models to feel and sound similar I knew I was close.

At the same time I'm looking to moving to smaller living space for a few years where I won't be able to play loud so studio monitors are going to work better for that too. I might be coming full circle where I'm going all in on Fractal again.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
I was on the FM9 waitlist for 6-7 months and just got fed up. I estimated the FM9 was going to run me $3,200.00 - $3,600.00 NZD. The Axe-Fx III Mk III cost me a hair over $4,000.00. I'm one of those "go big or go home" type of dudes.

Edit: and yeah the jury is still out on the HS8's. Curiously, my Aussie buddy Leon makes vids about the Axe-Fx III and his results vary from mine to an unexpected degree. The HS8's did some fantastic for the Soldano SLO plugin from Neural DSP though.
I mention my issues with previous FRFR products. I do not have the same issues with my HS7s. I feel like the FM9 sounds great with those, even when turned up pretty loud.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
After the burial cough cough
Thaaaats the one i couldnt remember! They always sounded good live - i saw them a bunch on the first few Anthony albums.

Sean1197

Reaction score
I
Thaaaats the one i couldnt remember! They always sounded good live - i saw them a bunch on the first few Anthony albums.
Yea their tone is pretty amazing and their playing is super tight.. I can get close to that tone with my 6534 and hd pro x running effects but not exact..

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
I'm considering jumping back on this bandwagon. I didn't have great results with the AFXII and FRFR. But I'd be using cabs and power amps now. Might get better results with a couple Omega 112s while dropping the cab block. Could probably dump a bunch of pedals too.

CrushingAnvil

Reaction score
I'm considering jumping back on this bandwagon. I didn't have great results with the AFXII and FRFR. But I'd be using cabs and power amps now. Might get better results with a couple Omega 112s while dropping the cab block. Could probably dump a bunch of pedals too.
Can you speak about your experiences with the Axe-Fx II and FRFR's? I'm interested.