After another workhorse (aka - CHEAP) 6

• Thread starter RobPhoboS
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RobPhoboS

Reaction score
I'm more into having workhorse guitars than stuff to get precious about, more importantly I suck (slowly getting better) and can't justify owning a pricey guitar now.

So I have a VERY old Jackson PS-37 'performer' (Randy Rhoads) :fever:, I guess I bought it in 96. It's got an SD Distortion in the bridge, but the body is cracked on the rear and I can't adjust the neck enough as the truss rod is only a single way. It just about holds tune now, and I blocked off the poor old FR.
So I'm thinking of retiring it for good, and picking up a Jackson JS32T OR an RR3 (used).
I like that the JS32T has a through body bridge, as I have no use for a FR but I guess the RR3 is a better spec.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

benny

Ibanez RG Addict
Reaction score
Another Jackson you might want to consider is the older Dinky DKMGT, I think that's the model name. They're inexpensive, simple, made in Japan guitars that are perfect as a workhorse instrument. The DKMGT has a tune-o-matic bridge. There is also a DKMG which has a licensed floyd rose. They can often be found well under $300 USD here (USA).

It's certainly not a V shaped guitar if that's what you're after, but maybe someone else more knowledgeable with Jackson guitars could share if there is a V similar to this Dinky.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I assume it has to be a RR and not just a cheap workhorse?

RobPhoboS

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I don't mind really, I just happened to be thinking about replacing it. And just started searching around, as you do.
I recently bought an Ibanez RG421, I've got that set for Bb-B-C. A LP baritone for A/low stuff, and the RR is for D-E bits.

I do really quite like the neck on this old Jackson, I was expecting the Ibanez to feel similar but it feels thicker. So another Jackson would be cool if it has a thin neck.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
Yep. Second on the DKMGT. The MG series are just perfect workhorse guitars. If going for an RR, maybe try the RR5. Japan made too and would be the same neck shape as your old one.

MaxAidingAres

Reaction score
Yeah go for an older Ibanez or an older jackson. Ibanez makes thinner necks that jackson but you pretty much have to track down 90s japanese made ibbys. The 90s jackson necks are some of the thinnest necks out there. If thats what you are looking for, no ibanez will feel like that. Grab either a dk2, dr3 dkmg dkmt. Necks are swapable to.

also there is a company called BestGuitarParts.com they make 24 fret necks that are jackson replacements. So that could be an option if you want to keep the main rhoads etc just want a new neck.

RobPhoboS

Reaction score
Cheers for the heads up guys!
I will keep my eyes open for them, it's really a price thing. I saw the RR3 was great value, and in the price range I consider no problem.
(work situation is in limbo due to covid crap)

Pat

Reaction score
If you're looking for other brands, you can get some great deals on used LTDs. The EC1000s might not be your thing, but they often go for about £4-500 here in the UK

RobPhoboS

Reaction score
Well, it's not usual for me to ignore people but I went and bought the RR3 !
I made the right decision.
It's stock, and hasn't been tampered with (JB/Jazz pups) as I had a look at the guts to see what the wiring was like.
It had been set up, and fret work done at leicestershire-luthier and feels really nice from my very quick go just now.
I paid £240, and it feels soo much better than the poor old RR Performer PS-37, which can finally be nailed to the wall.
:metal:

RobPhoboS

Reaction score
I'd actually like to try one, I know Simon Smith digs his one.
I'll keep an eye out for one, and now I definitely have to send a couple of my guitars to get set up properly now !

stuz719

Stoic. With a small "s".
Reaction score
If you want a cheap workhorse go after a Yamaha Pacifica 611.

Picked one up on reverb for a pittance and it's up there with the best guitars I own. I was shocked.
Yamaha guitars always seem massively underrated to me. Never understood why they didn't get the traction that they seemed to deserve, SG1000, SG2000 and SG3000 aside ‍♀️

My Yamaha superstrat is 30 years old now and still rocks.

I wish I'd picked up one of the Pacifica 1230s when I had the chance, and one of the RGX A2's - really modern looking.

Latest posts