AGCFAD Equivalent on a 7 string?

• Thread starter ScurrilousNerd
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ScurrilousNerd

Reaction score
My band just recently started using AGCFAD (like Mastodon) as our primary tuning and so far it's awesome, but we were also thinking of making the jump to sevenstrings. So, my question is, how could I keep using this tuning on a sevenstring without going to ADGCFAD and keeping that low A on the sixth string?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AlexQ1993

Reaction score
You could maybe double up the A on the low string like The Safety Fire does?

devolutionary

No longer 7-less
Reaction score
I guess go to a low E. It seems like you don't actually want to go to 7s though, not with that tuning and especially since you don't really have a firm idea on what you want to do with it. Not to discourage, but it's usually better to have an idea as to what you wish to do with it first.

Dabo Fett

Reaction score
I know you said you don't want to, but I'd just tune down a step. I play alot of mastodon and used to flip between DGCFAd and AGCFAd, so I just learned to play them on my 7 so I could have both tunings at once

tripforks

wut r u doin
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of High G right now, so my suggestion other than EAGCFAD would be AGCFADG. an .008 would be a fine string for G at 25-27" scales. or FAGCFAD so that you keep the F-A interval and are worried about tuning super super low.

I'm gonna have to agree with devolutionary. I totally support trying 7 strings out if they strike your fancy, but for the band situation it seems a bit aimless to me. Like, any reason is a valid one here, but I'd encourage you guys to think less about jumping as a band into seven strings, and instead identify why you guys want to.

rockskate4x

rockskate4x
Reaction score
sooo, i'm just gonna go ahead and ignore the low A suggestion, but still maintain the same interval at the bottom, which is a minor 7th. That way you can still play it the way you play your 6 string in D4 A3 F3 C3 G2 A1

F4 C4 A3b E3b B2b F2 G1
I think this will be the best compromise for tuning and tone assuming that the seven string you use is not a baritone. The high F can be reached without needing a special .008 or .007 string, and the low G will sound OK without an extended scale.

Bouillestfu

Reaction score
Why not keep your AGCFAD from the 7th to the 2nd string and go for the higher range upwards?

ScurrilousNerd

Reaction score
We were mainly going to switch to 7 strings so we could have some a lower note, but since we're at AGCFAD now, that makes that null. I guess it'd just be to have more possibilities/options

I do like the idea of adding higher notes though...