Agile Septor upgrade time?

• Thread starter Kraid
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kraid

Reaction score
Hey everyone, quick question thread! I have got really bored of these Cepheus 7 pick ups and I think it is time to upgrade to something new. The Agile I have is discontinued, but it was basically a purple one of these with a ebony fretboard Agile Septor Pro 727 MN Tribal Red - RondoMusic.com.

Can anyone suggest some pick ups that would be good to upgrade to? Preferably something that requires no routing and that is good for djent. I often have my amp in a 'scooped' setting. I'm looking for this guys tone basically http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIwjJPpFbCU I only have a LINE6 spider 15watt thing...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chaosmaker911

Reaction score
while new pickups would definitely make your guitar better, I really think your money would be better spent on a new amp. It's going to be very hard to get a good tone with a line 6, and a change of pickups with that amp would barely change your tone.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
+1. A bad guitar could still sound good through a good amp, but a good guitar can still sound like crap through a bad amp.

Kraid

Reaction score
Okay then, I do line the Insane option on my Line6 amp. In fact I love it, I just hate how there is very little opportunity to change tone within that setting. Could you perhaps give me a suggestion for a new amp? Preferably a bigger amp for sure but not more than £250-300? That's not to say it has to be around that price range. Please do check that link though, because that's the tone I soooo badly want XD

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Something that comes to mind is a used Ibanez TBX150R combo. A cheap EQ pedal like a Danelectro Fish and Chips would also help.

Kraid

Reaction score
Ahaha, haters gonna hate :L Thanks guys, what does that fish and chips pedal do?

Kraid

Reaction score
I can't find any youtube vids of people using the TBX150R playing sort of djenty metal :S

Mwoit

Reaction score
Hey everyone, quick question thread! I have got really bored of these Cepheus 7 pick ups and I think it is time to upgrade to something new. The Agile I have is discontinued, but it was basically a purple one of these with a ebony fretboard Agile Septor Pro 727 MN Tribal Red - RondoMusic.com.

Can anyone suggest some pick ups that would be good to upgrade to? Preferably something that requires no routing and that is good for djent. I often have my amp in a 'scooped' setting. I'm looking for this guys tone basically I only have a LINE6 spider 15watt thing...

You play djent but have your amp in scoop setting? Isn't djent based on the mids and scooping scoops your mids? :nuts:

Amp wise, maybe look for second hand Line 6 Vettas? £300 isn't a big budget and most djent either uses modellers or hi gain amps.

Ocara-Jacob

SSO Recluse
Reaction score
Which Spider in particular do you have?
If you have the IV, turn up the mids on that dang Insane channel dude. Also, mess around with the Metal channel. IE: More mids, more treble, less bass, and gain around 12:00-1:00, depending on the pickups.
If you have the III, the Insane channel sucks on that amp. Try the Metal channel.

I used a lot of Spiders starting out :/

EDIT: I still use a lot of Line 6 stuff in the studio, and for practice, so if you need tone tips with any Spider amp, ask me.

Kraid

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I have a Line6 Spider IV 30watt, I has near max, mid near min, and treble near max when I go for my djent sound. But I'll definitely have a look at those settings Jacob.

Sorry if I sound totally incompetent rambling about djent. I know it's an over used term but it totally describes the tone that I want.

chaosmaker911

Reaction score
like people have said, djent is NOT scooped. Its basically all mids, a good amount of treble, and very little bass.

Crank the mids.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Best amp I've played in the £250-300 range is the Marshall AVT100, which I own. However, I think they're discontinued, though you may find one used. Otherwise, Blackstar are worth looking at. Definitely worth upgrading your amp before pickups though, you'll notice a world of difference.

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
I'd say look into a modeler in that price range. Perhaps the new Pod line is worth a look, and you could always add a powered monitor down the road if you got into playing out.

I'm ridiculously satisfied with my HD Pro, and I say this after having tried Mesa's, an ENGL, and the HT-5 from Blackstar.

LtdRay

Reaction score
If you dont want a modeler look into a acoustic lead series 100 watt cant give it enough praise they go for like $250

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
I second the HT-5R, I own one and love it. A Tubescreamer-style boost is essential IMHO , especially for djenty stuff. I do stuff like jazzy tones, mid-gain tones, djenty tones, and Killswitch/hardcore tones, and with a boost I can do all of that without turning the gain past 1 o'clock or so. Pretty much the full range of the EQ is useful, and the ISF knob actually functions and makes a noticeable difference. A 1x12 cab with a Vintage 30 would go great with it :yesway:

If you're not interested in jamming with people, a POD HD would be even more versatile.

For pickups, a set of D Activators would smoke in that guitar :) or, since you're in the UK, talk to Tim from Bare Knuckle about what tones you're looking for. I've never heard of him giving anyone bad suggestions; the man knows his stuff.

Jason_Clement

Reaction score
You could try finding a used 6505+ 1x12 combo, I had one and used it for djent when I was into that :3

xxvicarious

Reaction score
Agree with everyone. Replace that terrible Line 6 amp first. Then invest in some Lundgren Model M7 pickups ;)

Latest posts